Challenge for South East Londoners?

Canny Jock
Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
There is one of those electronic speed sign thingies on Belmont Hill leading from Blackheath to Lewisham - I was out testing the bike on Sunday and coasted past it at 22mph. I didn't know these things would pick up a bike.

It's on a good slope, so if you were trying I reckon you could get some good numbers. Not that I'm advocating cycle speeding, but has anyone triggered this at higher speeds?

Comments

• Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    edited January 2010
    Triggered the one on Eltham Hill at 42mph :o I reckon it was wrong actually as garmin had a top speed of 37mph that day.

Got the unhappy face from it flashing at me. :(
  • There is one of those on my old training route, down the hill on the road bike could get it up to 34, never managed to break the 35 though :(
    08 Felt Compulsion 2 SE
    09 Corratec S-light
    10 Giant Defy 2
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    Not this one, but I regularly trigger the 30mph warning at the bottom of Shooters Hill going towards Bexleyheath :lol:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Used to be one on the outskirts of my Village, first time i noticed i clocked about 23. So the challenge was on!! I was on MTB with slicks, the speed thingy was on a downhill, but just after a tight bend, it had a smiley face if 30 or below. I wanted to see what it did if above 30.

Next time I went fatster, but only managed 29. was a bit gutted. Next time I forgot about it till quite close and only got 29 again.

That was it, next time gloves were off (not literally) sped down first part of hill, it evened out a little, then goes down again and hits the bend, then the radar speed thing. I was in the middle of the road almost, legs pumping, probably at 45 degrees going round the corner..... the thing light up..... 32 and a scowling face!!

You would have thought i had won the TDF, up on bike, punching the air, whooping and hollering, must have made quite a sight.

Next time I tried even harder, went into bend at outrageous angle, every sinew straining, hands gripping the bar, face contorted with effort..... I looked up and...... and they had taken the bloody thing away!!

Great fun!!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    The ones around here are only triggered when you heading uphill into town and there is no way I'm going to be going 30 uphill :(
  • Yeah this one on Belmont Hill is round the corner from where I live. I don't recall ever setting it off, were you riding primary at the time?
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Helmet cam evidence would be great, although incriminating...