Problem with front mech? Causes and solution?

Goomba Fletch
Goomba Fletch Posts: 221
edited January 2010 in MTB beginners
Hey guys, proper novice to bike maintenance here!

Had my first serious MTB (a 2009 Pinnacle Peak 4.0) for about 3 months now, so far I've only got out on it properly once at Dalby red but until my employer can sort my cycle to work thingy out I've had to commute on it.

I've never owned a serious bike before so this is still all new to me, I've been trying to slowly absorb tech and maintentance info by lurking here and pestering to lads at Evans who sold me it. I've tried to keep on top of cleaning it but with my work schedule and the weather I haven't had the chance to give it a proper wash for a few weeks now (2nd floor flat so I need to take it outside to clean). I managed to give the cassette and chain and stuff a quick scrub last week but conditions being what they are it got rammed with muck again in about five minutes.

Last week I found that when I shift gears, the front mech will shift up, but not back down. When I looked it seems to me that the cable attached to it is really loose, is this my problem? I'm worried that I haven't given it enough TLC through the winter, is it my poor cleaning that's caused it?

Lurking on the forums I've noticed that Sheldon Brown seems to be regarded highly so I checked this article out, but I'm still not entirely clear on what the problem is or how it happened.

Cheers for any help or advice though, I'll take it on board and hopefully avoid this happening in the future! Think I'm going to have to get some tools and know-how, instead of just being a tool ha!

Thanks!
This is my bike, there are many like it but this one is mine

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    A couple of possibilities. Either your cables have stretched or your mech needs a lube and isn't moving as advertised or a combination of the two.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like gunked up cables.

clean/lube or replace.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Cool, thanks guys. Sounds like I haven't been cleaning it as much or as well as I should. Ah well, lesson learned, I'll give it a jolly good scrub down tomorrow and take it down to my local Evans to show me how to sort the cables.

Much gratitude for the snappy responses!
    This is my bike, there are many like it but this one is mine
  • Is there loads of muck and crap around the mech and cable? I only ask because I had a similar problem whilst out on a ride, and it was basically all the mud built up around the mech stopping it shifting back down
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    nicklouse wrote:
    sounds like gunked up cables.

clean/lube or replace.

+1 yep its almost certainly this..

Pull the cable out wash out the cable outer and then re-lube it with a teflon spray or chain wax. If the cable is notchy then you might as well change it given the cost.

If it keeps happening consider switching to full outers - particularly if you like the muck.

Seriously I wouldn't waste money getting my LBS to clean my cables.
  • Sounds like its the cables needing cleaning.

Alex over at BicycleTutor.com did a nice video tutorial on that very thing. I find video works best (next to hands on help) when I'm learning new MTB Maintenance skills.

Here the link http://bicycletutor.com/adjust-front-derailer/

Hope that help some. :D
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain