The old 531 is to be re-born

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,120
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
I've made my decision. Rather than junk my old 531, I've decided to give it some TLC, and let Argos (the bike builders, not the cheap electrical place) renovate it at a cost of £ :shock: s.

Although it's not cheap, the same money would only buy a cheap alloy frame so what the heck...I deserve a treat. Maybe once it's done I'll ride it more :lol: .

Anyone else had any experience of Argos? Their location in Bristol won out over Mercian in Derby - I can go and visit family (and catch my beloved reds in action also).

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    SecretSam wrote:
    I've made my decision. Rather than junk my old 531, I've decided to give it some TLC, and let Argos (the bike builders, not the cheap electrical place) renovate it at a cost of £ :shock: s.

Although it's not cheap, the same money would only buy a cheap alloy frame so what the heck...I deserve a treat. Maybe once it's done I'll ride it more :lol: .

Anyone else had any experience of Argos? Their location in Bristol won out over Mercian in Derby - I can go and visit family (and catch my beloved reds in action also).

I have a 20 odd year old Raleigh Elan that I am thinking of making into a Summer hack....
    Loved it years ago and used it a lot. But has sat in garage for a while, only being used occasionally. Its a 501 tube frame,a nd I do like the colour!! Hopefully not much work needed.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    My 80s 531 Holdsworth will, I hope, become a fully functioning tourer by the summer. Gulp.

Job 1: find a way to un-jam the shed door wherein it is stored.
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    edited January 2010
    If it is just a paint/powder job, then I have heard good things about Armourtex in London - I'll be using them for a refurb job I'm doing for my sister.

They do powder coat rather than paint, which has the downsides of not being good for lots of nice painted details, or decals under gloss (this can be done, but I'm battling to find someone in the UK who can do the right sort of decals). Upside of powder is that the finish is much tougher than paint, so will be good at taking daily knocks and still looking good.
  • secretsam
    Roastie wrote:
    If it is just a paint/powder job, then I have heard good things about Armourtex in London - I'll be using them for a refurb job I'm doing for my sister.

They do powder coat rather than paint, which has the downsides of not being good for lots of nice painted details, or decals under gloss (this can be done, but I'm battling to find someone in the UK who can do the right sort of decals). Upside of powder is that the finish is much tougher than paint, so will be good at taking daily knocks and still looking good.

Thought about that, but not sure about the quality of the finish???? Plus there's the paint range - can I get a nice colour??? Also, I'd want to put my "531" transfer back on...can transfers be done? And I need to add some braze-ons or else my carrier will wreck the paint again.

• Check that the rear drop out takes 135 mm hubs so you can use modern wheels.

This can be done by LBS J F Wilson of Sheffield did mine.
    Racing is rubbish you can\'t relax and enjoy it- because some bugger is always trying to get past.
  • secretsam
    Check that the rear drop out takes 135 mm hubs so you can use modern wheels.

This can be done by LBS J F Wilson of Sheffield did mine.

Done by yours truly, simply 'opened' them a little wider - Condor advised to do this - mind you, I use 'racing' style wheels with (?) 130mm spread. So it's only 4mm greater than the old bike spread.

• Roastie wrote:

Have you tried looking at retrobike? There's a guy on there (I forget his username) who apparently is pretty good at replicating old decals.
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • Roastie
    Roastie wrote:

Have you tried looking at retrobike? There's a guy on there (I forget his username) who apparently is pretty good at replicating old decals.
    Getting decals made is no problem, the issue is getting decals made that can go under a power clear coat (they have to withstand the temperature of the powder coating process.

@Secret Sam: as above, with powder the problem is getting the transfer under the clear - which is no problem with paint. Powder can be done either gloss or matt - and gloss is properly gloss and can also be buffed up. I think it looks as good as flat colour paint. But year, if you are getting brazing, etc. done, perhaps a one stop service is better.
  • Roastie
    Oh yeah, my old frame was a 126OLD, I ran 130OLD but this put a little too much stress on the dropout and cracked it - depending on your dropout design this might be an issue. If you are having a bunch of other work doen, probably worth getting it properly respaced.
  • Mikelyons
    Mikelyons Posts: 154
    Roastie wrote:
    Roastie

I think you meant http://www.armourtexltd.co.uk/
    The other lot do pebble-dashing for houses.
    Now that might just work for a hack bike you don't want stolen - but I suspect it's not what you meant ;-)
    Mike
  • secretsam
    Roastie wrote:
    Oh yeah, my old frame was a 126OLD, I ran 130OLD but this put a little too much stress on the dropout and cracked it - depending on your dropout design this might be an issue. If you are having a bunch of other work doen, probably worth getting it properly respaced.

Ah

Campag style horizontals...I may err on the side of caution and get it done (that'll be £35 more, please sir).

• Roastie
    Mikelyons wrote:
    Roastie wrote:
    Roastie

I think you meant http://www.armourtexltd.co.uk/
    The other lot do pebble-dashing for houses.
    Now that might just work for a hack bike you don't want stolen - but I suspect it's not what you meant ;-)
    Mike
    LOL - Ta for that.

Serves me right for trying to do from memory...
  • Snudge
    Snudge Posts: 40
    My 1985 Argos was renovated by them a year ago:- expensive, but worth it (bit of an extravagant and vain treat really) - it was an amazing difference to see it back to new, including decals, cold-setting etc. and technology has inevitably moved on - I had V-brakes fitted. I still won't take it out in the rain, it's so nice. They always have all sorts of frames being resprayed etc. such is their reputation for quality. It 's up to you to decide whether you find it worth the cost (both sentimental reasons and original frame quality made it worthwhile for me) but if you take a look at some of their handiwork in the workshops you shouldn't be disappointed; though the paintwork is beautiful but it is also fragile I believe (probably all such is). I would arrange an appointment for a personal service to discuss your requirements. (I don't work for them btw).
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,376
    If memory serves, and it usual does as I'm a bit freaky like that, GTV Lusso has used Argos' services for one or more of his many fixie builds

I'd PM him as he may be out of circulation due to an impending delivery*

*not from wiggle
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!