Afan at end of Feb - need accomodation recommendations .....

pastasauce
pastasauce Posts: 221
edited January 2010 in MTB general
Looking for anything cheap and recommended for two nights.

Thanks

Comments

• joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    well, my friend owns a really nice wood cabin style thing, which can sleep up to 8 i think, its very nice, and its literaly 20m from the wall final descent. i think its called afan lodge..... id chek that out if i were you.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • stevet1992
    stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    well, my friend owns a really nice wood cabin style thing, which can sleep up to 8 i think, its very nice, and its literaly 20m from the wall final descent. i think its called afan lodge..... id chek that out if i were you.

Afan lodge isnt a log cabin ... The Afan lodge is a whacking great building ! Located between the 2 trail centres with the back entrance leading onto the low level cycle way that connects them both, We stopped off for a drink coming back from Penhydd last year and it seems a great place ! So friendly and a great atmosphere, Secure bike lock up to ! I reckon its one of the top places to stay !
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • joshtp
    stevet1992 wrote:

Afan lodge isnt a log cabin ... The Afan lodge is a whacking great building ! Located between the 2 trail centres with the back entrance leading onto the low level cycle way that connects them both, We stopped off for a drink coming back from Penhydd last year and it seems a great place ! So friendly and a great atmosphere, Secure bike lock up to ! I reckon its one of the top places to stay !
    ahhhhh, thats what afan lodge is... iv seen that..... but that isnt the one my mate owns........ he owns one right up in the hills, at the top of the wall, it obvioulsy goes by another name....
    I like bikes and stuff
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    try the search button, there have been a few recommendations in the past. The popular ones tend to be fully booked at short notice so I ended up choosing a random place from the MTB Wales website which has a vast database.
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    Bryntegg House (IIRC) in Cymmer. Lovely B&B. Right in the middle of Afan and Glyncorrwg
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Afan Lodge is great, not sure it fits with your 'cheap' request. About £35 PPPN based on two sharing I think.

Worth it though, great bar and the food is spectacular.

In fact it's go good, I've stayed there and I can drive home from Afan in about 45 mins.
  • matterai
    matterai Posts: 176
    +1 for Afan Lodge. Great place great staff
  • Having a similar problem (for same weekend possibly! - Pasta when you going? 19/20th?)

anyone know anywhere for a group of about 10-12 people around Afan?
    Would prefer somewhere close to at least a couple of pubs rather than stay at hotel bar all night (and Afan Lodge too pricey ideally, we need 2 nights so it starts to look expensive)
    Appreciate we may have to split up into different accom but so long as a few places in the town it will be okay
    Im assuming Porthcawl as Ive been there before but the B&B's not really tailored to taking in bikes (no secure storage)
    Any other towns / villages that might be worth a bet?
  • joshtp
    you could stay in swansea, its about 25 min drive from afan, but its a city, so there is endless places to stay and eat...
    I like bikes and stuff
  • John_E
    John_E Posts: 18
    This thread from MTB-Wales.com is fairly up to date (from beginning of last year) and has a number of suggestions

http://www.mtb-wales.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=XForum&file=viewthread&fid=19&tid=21716&page=1&orderdate=
  • R2 D2
    R2 D2 Posts: 34
    Queens guest house in glencorrwg. Cheap, nice people, clean and a damn fine breakfast. Oh and two mins from the centre and skyline/whites level. Am going back myself in first week of march