Just bought my first bike - What do I need to do now?

a900ss
a900ss Posts: 91
edited January 2010 in MTB beginners
Guys,

Bought my first bike yesterday and now need to kit myself out to ride it. The following is what I think I will need:

Helmet
Computer (It may not be a ‘need’ to most people but I am getting one as I need to set myself targets and see how I’m doing against those targets)
Shorts
Gloves
Toolkit/Pump/Tyre Levers

Anything else that I should look at getting?

Any other tips you can give to a complete novice.

Thanks guys, you’ve been really helpful up to now.

a900ss
2010 Specialized Rockhopper Comp
2010 Trek 1.5 Compact
Now to diet, get fit and lose at least 3 stone!!! (2 of the 3 stone now lost...)

weight.png
Diet started 1/1/2010

Comments

• i think that pretty much all you need to begin with although given the time of year perhaps a half decent waterprrof riding jacket and mayb socks but u should be good to get out there with that :D
    CUBE ltd 2012,reba sl, XT, saint, DMR, spank, current xc/am ride

GIANT boulder, marzzochi EXR, LX/alivio, DMR, spank, retro build
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    If you want a good computer for training I would recommend a garmin edge 305 HR+Cadence. If you have a mobile phone with a GPS, then there are plenty of apps you can download to help you.

you also need spare tubes - I would buy at least a 4 pack - try woolyhatshop or CRC
  • Glasses, just some cheap safety specs will do.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • Every ride I've always got with me:

-> Lid
    -> Gloves
    -> Shorts (padded underneath baggies)
    -> base layer
    -> top layer (good water/wind proof jacket in this weather, DH shirt or nothing in the summer)
    -> Sports socks in the summer, wetsuit socks in the winter
    -> riding glasses
    -> Riding pack containing:
    -> 2litres of water/riding fuel
    -> food! I prefere cerial bars. Normally got a SIS one and a couple little TESCO own brand ones.
    -> a spare tube or two
    -> pack of pre-glued patches
    -> good multi-tool with chain tool
    -> pump
    -> couple spare chain links
    -> old set of brake pads
    -> a few various sized bolts (M4- M6)
    -> a few cable ties
    -> a bit of electrical/gaffer tape
    -> couple latex gloves
    -> mini first aid kit

You'd be amazed how many things you can fix with cable ties, tape, and a bit of thinking!

There's a fair few other things I often have in my pack as i normally ride out into dartmoor where conditions can be very changeable and help could often be a long distance/time away should the worst happen. Things I wouldn't call essential but i have anyway are an OS map of the area, a survival blanket, glucose sweets (get you home energy!), my buff.

That list looks pretty long, but dont fret it doesn't have to cost you a fortune!
    Most manufactures do budget kit and a lot of the supermarkets do kit now! Its probably worth buying a decent make lid, as you dont wanna risk that!
    Things like the spare bolts,cable ties, tape can normally be found in your/your mates/your families garrage or shed!
    most people know somebody who uses latex glove in their work, and getiing hold of 2 or 4 aint a big deal.
    Like somebody else said, riding glasses can be cheap safety glasses.
    Dont buy spare brake pads, just wait untill you replace a set then keep the old ones handy.

Most importantly dude, just get out and ride! Enjoy yourself! The more you ride you'll learn what clothes/tools/food/water/spares you need to carry!
    Giant Reign - now sold :-(
    Rockhopper Pro - XC and commuting
    DH8 - New toy :-)
  • a900ss
    Thanks Bannedbiker, really informative.

I wear specs anyway so I guess riding glasses won;t be needed.

I agree with you last statement though, I need to get out and ride!!! :D
    2010 Trek 1.5 Compact
    Now to diet, get fit and lose at least 3 stone!!! (2 of the 3 stone now lost...)

weight.png
    Diet started 1/1/2010
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I'd recomend a basic first aid kit anyone out there though, really vital bit of gear.
  • No worries dude!

If you wear specs it may be worth digging out and old pair or getting a second cheap pair for riding! If you crash you dont wanna smash a pair of £300 designer glasses!

I know my mate uses the optician at TESCO and he bought a pair of pescription sports glasses for about £30. Weird things but quite clever, they were just budget cycling glasses that they've managed to fit a second set of pescription lenses inside! Does the job...!
  • I'd recomend a basic first aid kit anyone out there though, really vital bit of gear.

Agreed! Luckily I've only had to use mine a couple times over the last few years, and only once in a full on emergancy. Damn glad I had it then!! And best of all, the nurses at A&E were extremely impressed with my bandaging skills...! haha!
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    I'd recomend a basic first aid kit anyone out there though, really vital bit of gear.

Good shout. A thermal blanket is a good investment too. You can pick both up for under a tenner from most outdoor shops. I've only ever had to use my First Aid kit once, but I can guarantee that if I didn't have it I would most certainly need it...
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Glad to say I've never needed my survival/thermal blanket!

One thing I've added to my first aid kit that has come in handy is these little tubes of saline solution. They're great for washing dirt out of eyes, which is obviously pretty common for riders.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473

+1 I have used my first aid kit loads of times. It includes:
    gloves, antiseptic wipes, waterproof elastaplast, a few waterproof plasters for convenience, pain killers, bandage. but the key thing is some thing to clean it with and something to tape it together to stop it bleeding or reduce the chances of a scar.

The thing about MTBing is that you are normally in the middle of nowhere and covered in mud when you injur yourself, so cleaning and closing a wound is a vital skill.
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893

Ride it. Lots.

Oh and put a picture of your new pride and joy in the 'your bikes' section :D
  • a900ss
    It's too shiney at the moment!!!!

I'll take a pic when it's been 'lived in' a bit. I look a bit of a virgin at the moment :oops:
    2010 Trek 1.5 Compact

weight.png
    Diet started 1/1/2010
  • A hydration pack would be good!
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I like to carry a small tub of vaseline. New bike, new trousers, can make longer rides a bit more bearable if you're not used to it.

I've given up with a computer on my xc bike. If I really need to find out how far I've gone then a handheld gps is worth a pop. Did anyone mention mobile phone? That can get you out of trouble but don't rely on it.
  • Not to sure what the riding around Tetbury is like personally (let us know in the future, I live in Bristol and am always keen to find routes not too far away), but not too far away you'll find plenty of varied and fun places to ride.
    Used to live in Cheltenham and I know that there are some good places to ride around there and Gloucester, the escarpment provides ups and downs. Wiltshire has some good riding though can be treacherous in the wet, chalk, but has more forgiving rolling hills. To the south of Bristol are the Mendips and Quantocks.
    If you want to follow trails that you don't have to rely on maps to navigate, then head to the trail centres. The Forest of Dean or Ashton Court (Bristol) are the closest. If you go a little further and head into south Wales you have Cwmcarn and Afan is well worth a day out (weekend if you want to camp, B&B or rent a house with some mates).
    Get out and enjoy your new bike!
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877

Ride it. Lots.

Oh and put a picture of your new pride and joy in the 'your bikes' section :D

Photos in the kitchen, shed or garage, please.

We haven't had any kitchen shots for a bit... :shock:
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Looks like every one above have given some great advice.

I agree with llamafarmer - Ride it and enjoy.

"When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race." ~H.G. Wells

The more you ride the better you feel.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain
  • tdougan
    tdougan Posts: 152
    Water bottle or Camel Pack!
    First Aid kit - I hate being out without one I know my luck!
    Snack Bars

and all the above comments too!
  • tdougan
    Snack Bars

• tdougan
    Snack Bars