What length steerer do I need for a Hardrock Sport 17"

tavyabetavyabe Posts: 283
edited January 2010 in MTB general
I am looking at a set of forks on ebay with a steerer length of 190mm. I will not be able to measure my frame until the auction has ended so I am not sure if they will fit. The frame is a specialized hardrock sport 17" - looks he same as this one:

04HardrockSportWomens_d.jpg

can anyone tell me what size steerer is the smallest that will fit this frame, or point me to somewhere I can find out.

Many thanks

Posts

  • nicklousenicklouse Posts: 82,097 Lives Here
    measure it.

    see the info in the FAQs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • AtzAtz Posts: 1,383
    Or call Specialized UK and see what they have to say
  • tavyabetavyabe Posts: 283
    nicklouse wrote:
    measure it.

    see the info in the FAQs.
    tavyabe wrote:
    I will not be able to measure my frame until the auction has ended so I am not sure if they will fit.

    I have found the geometry here for it
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?arc=2004&spid=21170

    but I am quite new to the whole thing and I don't knwo which measurements are the relevent ones and how much I need to ad for the stem etc. The Ebay auction ends this evening so if anyone could help me before then I would grately appreciate it. thanks
  • nicklousenicklouse Posts: 82,097 Lives Here
    like I said look in the FAQs I show you how to measure it.

    and it does totally depend on how you have your bike.

    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12559287
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • tavyabetavyabe Posts: 283
    I know how to measure it, but my bike is in Bournemouth and I am in Cardiff and the auction ends today. So I need to know whether or not I should buy the forks. If the steerer is long enough then I want them but if the steerer is too short then I do not want to waste the money.
    On the Geometry link I put up it says the 'Head Tube Lenght' is 140mm - is that the right part? in which case a 190mm steerer would leave 50mm for the stem to attach to - is this sufficient for a standard stem?

    Thanks
  • nicklousenicklouse Posts: 82,097 Lives Here
    well you will need to add the height of the headset, any spacers and then the height of your stem.

    so are you willing to risk it with out measuring your bike?

    and it is too short.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • grumstagrumsta Posts: 994
    If it's any help, on my medium Specialized Pitch I cut my forks to about 177mm so I reckon you will be ok, but it is a risk.
  • nicklousenicklouse Posts: 82,097 Lives Here
    grumsta wrote:
    If it's any help, on my medium Specialized Pitch I cut my forks to about 177mm so I reckon you will be ok, but it is a risk.

    and the head tube length on a medium Pitch is ? 108mm so that would mean the 180mm steerer on a 140 head tube will be 30mm too short.
    :roll:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • tavyabetavyabe Posts: 283
    there are no spacers on the bike and I am happy to buy a smaller stem if it will accomodate...

    If it is only a risk then I may take it however if it will certainly not fit then I will not.

    So could you say whether a 190mm Steerer on a 140mm head tube without any spcers and with a standard a-headset would be possible, or a definite no fit?

    ps. To make it clear why I am so set on these particular forks - it is my girlfriends bike and the forks are the same girly blue as the frame and she therefore has her heart set on them. I can't see the same forks coming up very often so would really like to get them. As I said, I am happy to replace the stem if it will make it possible to use these forks.
  • biff55biff55 Posts: 1,404
    with the info you've given i'd say no.
    and fitting the forks with no spacers at all will alter bike handling / riding position which
    may not be to your liking.
    dont waste your cash on a punt , hold out for forks with a 220mm steerer , that will be closer to your needs.
    ps , just measured the steerer on my old forks , the're 195mm but off a 120mm headtube.
  • thinkofthemoonbobthinkofthemoonbob Posts: 28
    edited January 2010
    If the steerer is cut to 190mm and the head tube length is 140mm then you have a good 50mm of steerer to play with.
    Having owned a hardrock i know those mobius stems are absolute lumps and way too much material for their intended use! they've got a stack height of a little over 50mm, which sounds just about right. If all else fails though a lot of other stems have a much smaller stack height (the truvativ team one i'm using now is 38mm) and don't cost the world.
    Just remember you'll need to get a fresh star fangled nut for the new forks too!

    Edit: forgot about the headset stack height, ignore above. chances are these forks will not fit!
  • nicklousenicklouse Posts: 82,097 Lives Here
    tavyabe wrote:
    there are no spacers on the bike and I am happy to buy a smaller stem if it will accomodate...

    If it is only a risk then I may take it however if it will certainly not fit then I will not.

    So could you say whether a 190mm Steerer on a 140mm head tube without any spcers and with a standard a-headset would be possible, or a definite no fit?

    ps. To make it clear why I am so set on these particular forks - it is my girlfriends bike and the forks are the same girly blue as the frame and she therefore has her heart set on them. I can't see the same forks coming up very often so would really like to get them. As I said, I am happy to replace the stem if it will make it possible to use these forks.

    there is no such thing as a standard headset. the stack heights can vary alot.

    So here we have a 2004 bike that originally had headset spacers and may or may not have the original headset fitted?

    so here you see the problem with asking for someone to measure their steerer length as a lot can happen to a 6 year old bike.

    lets say that a fair headset stack height is 20mm and you dont want to run any spacers and say the stem is 45mm.
    that gives you a minimum of 200mm steerer length needed.

    Personally i would get your steerer measured and then look for some forks.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nonnac85nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    I had a spesh hardrock 2007 model (17" frame) and the steerer was 190mm.
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • grumstagrumsta Posts: 994
    nicklouse wrote:
    grumsta wrote:
    If it's any help, on my medium Specialized Pitch I cut my forks to about 177mm so I reckon you will be ok, but it is a risk.

    and the head tube length on a medium Pitch is ? 108mm so that would mean the 180mm steerer on a 140 head tube will be 30mm too short.
    :roll:

    He said it was 190 not 180mm - and I have a few spacers so without spacers it might be ok
Sign In or Register to comment.