700 x 30 tyres

cjcp
cjcp Posts: 13,345
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
Am currently riding 30mm cross tyres. I quite like the resistance they add, so I'm thinking about using 30mm slicks for extra resistance training on the commute. Anyone got any recommendations? I don't think the wheel rims could take anything wider than 30mm.

Cheers.
FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
"It stays down, Daddy."
"Exactly."

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    cjcp wrote:
    Am currently riding 30mm cross tyres. I quite like the resistance they add, so I'm thinking about using 30mm slicks for extra resistance training on the commute. Anyone got any recommendations? I don't think the wheel rims could take anything wider than 30mm.

Cheers.
    Nutter. That is all.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    :lol:

Hey, I gotta try something!
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    Am currently riding 30mm cross tyres. I quite like the resistance they add, so I'm thinking about using 30mm slicks for extra resistance training on the commute. Anyone got any recommendations?

Yes.

Run your tyres at 30 psi, and leave a pad rubbing hard on the rim front and back.

And carry weights. Lots of weights. :wink:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    :lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    I was looking into this last night (oddly enough ;)). There are two decent (IMHO) options:
    - Continental Sport Contact which comes in 28 or 32mm. Personally I'd go for the 32, esp given you have tons of clearance. But only available in wire bead.
    - Vittoria Randonneur Hyper 32mm min - But these are foldable and weigh 100g less per tyre than the Contis.

I'd go for the latter.

FWIW, The Pig rolls on 32mm slicks (26" Michelin City) - they are fairly basic tyres, so don't roll that well - but I've also started enjoying the additional training benefit. :)
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Sheesh. Why don't you just buy one of these SS07200-1633TPS94199.jpg and ride that all summer.

*mutter
  • How about Schwalbe Marathon Racers?
  • cjcp
    Roastie wrote:
    I was looking into this last night (oddly enough ;)). There are two decent (IMHO) options:
    - Continental Sport Contact which comes in 28 or 32mm. Personally I'd go for the 32, esp given you have tons of clearance. But only available in wire bead.
    - Vittoria Randonneur Hyper 32mm min - But these are foldable and weigh 100g less per tyre than the Contis.

I'd go for the latter.

FWIW, The Pig rolls on 32mm slicks (26" Michelin City) - they are fairly basic tyres, so don't roll that well - but I've also started enjoying the additional training benefit. :)

Cheers, Roastie. Not sure if the rims can take 32mm though. Will poinder those Marathon Racers - thanks Art. :)

@IP - that your new bike? :P
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    edited January 2010
    I'm running 32mm on my CXP22s, so I doubt you'll have any issues.

Edit: According to Schwalbe's tech guide - a 15c rim (i.e. typical road rim) is good for 23-32mm, a 17c rim for 25-37mm.

That said, Mavic for one are very conservative with the recommended max sizes you can run with their rims. Personally I think 32 will be fine provided you don't try running them at 8bar (which they probably won't be rated for anyways).
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Fat tyres are the future, perfect for resistance training. You need to go the whole hog though and get 26" wheels, then feel yourself fly the next time you go out on your race wheels! :)