Potential Bargains...

SlowingDown
SlowingDown Posts: 129
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
...if you dont mind Halfords.

Not sure how widespread this practice is but I popped into Halfords at the weekend (trying to find a sledge, honest guv') and there was a big display of bikes and cycling stuff just inside the door marked 'clearance' and 'spares only'. Prices were all either 20 or 25 quid.

As I've been trying to fix up an old commuter bike for my brother I took a look. There was a 2008 Carrera Subway 2 marked at 20 quid and 'spares only'. I was chatting to a member of staff who claimed the headset was knackered but I had my mini-tool and and checked it all over and it was fine(the headset bolt was just loose). It was mint, still in its original delivery packaging and I reckon had been used as a spares bike when others came back with bits needing replacing. It was missing seatpost and saddle, grips, pedals, shifters and rear derailleur but I had compatible bits and bobs in the garage at home so I took it. I might invest in some new shifters and rear derailleur (got a new right hand SRAM SX4 shifter for a quid on ebay) or just put it together with what I already have. Either way a pretty good cheap commuter for my bro'.

I also got a 2008 double kids trailer for 25 quid - not class leading or anything but more than happy with it for that money. Other stuff there included a bunch of kids bikes (although I'll still big-up Islabikes if you can afford them) and a load of other adult bikes including a Carrera Vulcan and lots more commuter-orientated fare. All the adult bikes were missing at least one thing but often this was just a saddle or a wheel.

Wouldn't be my usual choice for bike shopping but might be worth checking your local Halfords to see if they are having similar clearances if they suit you. I might even pop back and see if they have something I can build up for my mum and dad.
===============================
Ribble Sportive Racing: FCN 2
Tricross Sport: FCN 4
Cannondale R600: FCN 3
Scrapheap Rescued SS, in bits: FCN 9

Helmet wearer

Comments

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    ...if you dont mind Halfords.

I popped into Halfords at the weekend. There was a 2008 Carrera Subway 2 marked at 20 quid and 'spares only'. I was chatting to a member of staff who claimed the headset was knackered but I had my mini-tool and and checked it all over and it was fine(the headset bolt was just loose).

F*cking Halfords muppets.
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Bargain. Makes me almost willing to voluntarily subject myself to the Hellfrauds down the road...
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Que?
  • 0scar
    0scar Posts: 219
    There's a Halfords right opposite my house, I'll have a look. Half a Boardman for £25 would suit me..
    Commuter: Taped-up black Trek 2200 (FCN 5)
    Shiny bike: Pinarello FP2 (FCN 3)
  • Yeah, good luck with that! I too was hoping that some 15 year old Saturday staff member had mistakenly put a Team Carbon in the clearance for missing a reflector or something.
    Ribble Sportive Racing: FCN 2
    Tricross Sport: FCN 4
    Cannondale R600: FCN 3
    Scrapheap Rescued SS, in bits: FCN 9

Helmet wearer