Cold + Forks/brakes

Stoo61
Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
edited January 2010 in MTB general
Ive not been out on my bike since the bad weather hit. Ive been out occasionally to pump the forks and pull my levers (ooh err) but I dont know if there will be any major issues with the components given the -20 temperatures.

Any tips or advice on making sure nowt bad has happened? Or is there nothing to worry about?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    nothing to do.

do car brakes freeze?

mineral oil freezes at -30C and DOT at about -75C
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    my bike has been sat doing nothing for 2 weeks. took it out yesterday morning and it was fine. obviously do a check make sure everything works though.
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    My situation is a little more extreme than your's (-20 is a high where I am in Sweden just now), but I've noticed my forks lose pressure a lot quicker in the cold (at as little as -5 to -10 degrees), despite being relatively newly serviced.

Brakes aren't so much of a problem, I personally run mechanicals but none of my friends have probs with hydraulics in the Swedish winter (not many people choose to ride at -30 though).
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    I find my brakes are noisier in the cold, but that's the only major difference so far.
  • when the rotor got cold its made one helluva screech. However a few more used of the brake and it warmed up again and stopped.

Bloody annoying though!