1984 Millar Question?

sonny73
sonny73 Posts: 2,203
edited January 2010 in Pro race
Prior to the 1984 Tour's completion and his GC 4th overall and KOM title; throughout that entire Tour what was the highest GC position that the mighty Mr Millar held?

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    14th in 1983.

Full Palmares here:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Millar

Nice to see we share the same birthday, although that is as close to Robert as I am likely to get :P
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • scwxx77
    scwxx77 Posts: 1,469
    Sonny73 wrote:
    Prior to the 1984 Tour's completion and his GC 4th overall and KOM title; throughout that entire Tour what was the highest GC position that the mighty Mr Millar held?
    4th seems to be the highest. Checked the official site and it only gives the first 3 in GC for most of the tour and his name never appears
    Winner: PTP Vuelta 2007 :wink:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Sonny73 wrote:

He moved into 4th (having previously been 9th) after stage 17 (Alpe d'Huez) and he stayed there for the rest of the race. However, after stage 17 he was behind Fignon, Hinault and Vincent Barteau (who had claimed the Yellow jersey with a 17 minute breakaway group on stage 5). LeMond was 5th

The next day Barteau fell completely down GC (eventually finishing 28th), while LeMond moved above Millar into 3rd.

(All from memoire-du-cyclisme.net)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Ahh lovely cheers for that, came up in conversation over the weekend and was bugging me.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Not a bad 3 riders to finish behind - three real all time greats - LeMond and Fignon each should perhaps have had more GT wins - and I suppose the same could be said of Millar.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • pictit
    pictit Posts: 603
    Not a bad 3 riders to finish behind - three real all time greats - LeMond and Fignon each should perhaps have had more GT wins - and I suppose the same could be said of Millar.

So close yet................three 2nd places in GTs aint shabby and a 1st in Dauphine and a few other races make for an impressive palmares by any standards.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    ...LeMond and Fignon each should perhaps have had more GT wins - and I suppose the same could be said of Millar.

So should Hinault...
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Quite possibly - not all that familiar with Hinault's career. I was thinking the LeMond should really have beaten Hinault for one, FIgnon maybe taking one off him for that time trial but his injuries from being shot and possibly epo use of others ending his chances later in his career. For Fignon leaving aside the time trial didn't he lose a Giro controversially ?

Is there a decent English language biography of any of those three ?

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.