Yay, it's 2 degrees centigrade and it's raining!

prj45
prj45 Posts: 2,208
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
Pending a disaster tonight (i.e. it getting very cold and icing up) I'll be riding in tommorrow!

HT @cathwiggins:

http://twitter.com/cathwiggins/status/7602904793

Comments

• rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    I'm feeling a bit disappointed, cycled to work every day last week and loved it - felt like a bit of an adventure at times. even getting my first P*ncture in 2 years on my Marathon plus with what looked like Council grit.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Very windy here :(
  • prj45
    rally200 wrote:
    even getting my first P*ncture in 2 years on my Marathon plus with what looked like Council grit.

Yeah I did one return journey last week, one day in, next day home. Got punctures on both rides, but luckily just as I was pulling up at my destination.

If I get another one tommorrow I'll give it a miss for a while again I think, I do 24 miles a day so if the council is using sharp glass to bulk up the grit (it claims the glass is rounded according to spec but a fair few pieces must get through) then I'm bound to atrract a few pieces.
  • 'centigrade'? It's not the seventies any more, you know.. ;)
  • prj45
    edited January 2010
    'centigrade'? It's not the seventies any more, you know.. ;)

Eep, you know what, I didn't know it wasn't called centigrade any more... I've been using that for years and nobody's every brought me up on it.

The Celsius scale is the centigrade scale with one change. Defined in 1954 at the 10th General Conference of Weights and Measures, temperature on the Celsius scale is the temperature on the Kelvin scale minus 273.15. This definition makes values on the Celsius and centigrade scale agree within less than 0.1 degree. For everyday purposes, the scales are identical. One reason for doing away with the word “centigrade,” was that it might be confused with one-hundredth of a grade, a unit of plane angle.

http://www.sizes.com/units/temperature_centigrade.htm
  • rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    prj45 wrote:
    rally200 wrote:
    even getting my first P*ncture in 2 years on my Marathon plus with what looked like Council grit.

Yeah I did one return journey last week, one day in, next day home. Got punctures on both rides, but luckily just as I was pulling up at my destination.

If I get another one tommorrow I'll give it a miss for a while again I think, I do 24 miles a day so if the council is using sharp glass to bulk up the grit (it claims the glass is rounded according to spec but a fair few pieces must get through) then I'm bound to atrract a few pieces.

Mine looked like a stone age flint arrow head - only muddy brown, nothing like our local flints
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Rain and sleet ere in Norf Wales.
    Hope it doesn't freeze o/night.
    Other night, both car doors/lock frozen up. Had to open hatchback crawl thro to open the doors. Was about minus 6 or less.
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Yeah, it must have been warm last night because it's all slushed up now on South Tyneside. I was going to go for a ride this afternoon but the slush looked worse then the thick, sticky snow!

Yeah, I'm soft :wink:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Was snowing this morning at mine - but a few hundred feet lower it was very cold, very wet rain.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    Snow and rain in South Manchester and a slow thaw.

I've not been on a bike in 3 weeks (well, I rode to work on boxing day because only a few buses were running), this week I'm on late shift so I'm back on the hard-tail again.

Not really looking forward to it, the bus at 5:20am was warm and comfy, I did see a handful of cyclists on the road at that time when it was MINUS 17 :shock:

Still, the time has come to get back into shape I spose .

:roll:

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    'centigrade'? It's not the seventies any more, you know.. ;)
    Farenheits here chief, just because. I'm not alone either - whenever the taboids need to screech 'Phew what a scorcher' they don't tell us that the temp is up in the 30s; they go for the big numbers and tell us that it's in the 80s, or 90s even. Even the pinkos & commies at the BBC do this - for hot weather they use big numbers, for cold weather they use the default C because -3 sounds more impressive than whatever -3 is in Farenheit, let's say 26.

And be honest - it all makes sense to us whatever scale they use.

Anyway - we had a bit of a thaw yesterday indicating that this snow madness will in fact end soon, then this morning there was another couple of inches on the car roof & windscreen when I went out to it, so we're back to where we were on Friday. Oh when will it end? Won't someone think of the poor children?
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    The thaw has set in, but some of my route is still dicey. Especially this morning; the ice was very wet and slippery. So I still have my wider tyres on. That means I have no mudguards; the back of my jacket is a MESS. :( I might put my slicker tyres & guards back on this evening.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    I was on the bike last week - just took the bus today after a busy weekend - knackered...

Back on bike tomorrow - side roads are a slippy mush.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    The Celsius scale is the centigrade scale with one change. blah, blah, blah...... One reason for doing away with the word “centigrade,” was that it might be confused with one-hundredth of a grade, a unit of plane angle.

It also avoids it being confused with a centipede :wink:
    FCN = 4
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Yup was a cold dark wet grit filled ride in this morining. Was SOOOO nice to be back on the bike! :)
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Had grand plans to do the full 40 miles but wussed out both ways, did 21 but at least I don't hate the bike like I did after last Thursdays ride.

Grim tonight though, getting cold and dark, freezing fog and, for some reason, lots of dodgy drivers overtaking where there wasn't really space.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Had grand plans to do the full 40 miles but wussed out both ways, did 21 but at least I don't hate the bike like I did after last Thursdays ride.

Grim tonight though, getting cold and dark, freezing fog and, for some reason, lots of dodgy drivers overtaking where there wasn't really space.

That happened to me too today.

The commute made me knackered, hope it is just the conditions, and not unfitness.