Bikes out of Liverpool St - how's that work?

rally200
rally200 Posts: 646
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
I'm going to pick up a new 20" wheel bike (for my boy honest) from Fenchurch Street Evans - will I have to pay and/or pre book to take it on the train?

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Pre-book is the norm these days but you don't have to pay, I haven't. You might get lucky with a friendly compliant guard, depends on the time of the train. The last time I took my bike on a train ride I had booked a later train but got on an earlier one and told the guard who said 'not a problem' This was FGW.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Most of the trains out of LivSt are local type trains, so as long as it's not rush hour,
    you should be fine to just turn up.

Rush hour depends on the company, but worth avoiding a couple of hours either side.
    exercise.png
  • rally200
    Cheers guys,

It looks like I'll have to hang around the city for a bit - anyone up for a race ?
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    when might be a help
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    What train out of liverpool street will you be on? If it's one of the Norwich-bound intercities, then you can just walk it onto the guard's van.
  • Where are you going to ? The old trains to Shenfield or through Tottenham don't have bike spaces. The newer ones do, usually in the 2nd carriage from the back.
    Take a strap just to stop it wobbling about too much.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    I recall taking a bike from Liverpool Steet Stn, and then gretting to Hungerford.
    Don't recall booking it or paying, but it was years ago.
    Then cycled over 2 days to Bath/Bristol on Kennet/Avon canal track, quiet roads.
  • rally200
    Clever Pun wrote:
    when might be a help[/quote

Probably the evening of the 20th - I will be riding one of these http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/jet-20-2009-kids-bike-20-inch-wheel--ec001603

How's that for FCN
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    fenchuch street evans are the best, ask for oliver or pablo.
  • rally200
    spasypaddy wrote:
    fenchuch street evans are the best, ask for oliver or pablo.

do you think they could wrap the bike so it looks like a laptop - then I could get an earlier train
  • rally200
    Where are you going to ? The old trains to Shenfield or through Tottenham don't have bike spaces. The newer ones do, usually in the 2nd carriage from the back.

Colchester - I suppose a Norwich intercity would have a guards van
  • rally200 wrote:
    Where are you going to ? The old trains to Shenfield or through Tottenham don't have bike spaces. The newer ones do, usually in the 2nd carriage from the back.

On the colchester trains it has to be off-peak, and you just have to put it in one of the door vestibules and keep an eye on it. No extra cost though.
  • rally200
    rally200 wrote:

On the colchester trains it has to be off-peak, and you just have to put it in one of the door vestibules and keep an eye on it. No extra cost though.

Ah - yes the "modern" slow trains. I think I'd be better off getting one of those - at least you don't have to stand in the guards van (plus last time I got on an inter-city I managed to walk into a door and cut my head open - claret everywhere - & d'you know what - not one b*gger asked if I was OK)
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    There was that story of the guy who was advised by a guard to wrap his bike up in wrapping paper...
  • There used to be a train at 1932 every evening that went to peterborough or norwich or somewhere that had a bike rack in the disabled area... it was orange in colour... whether or not it's still at 1932 I couldn't say.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    There used to be a train at 1932 every evening that went to peterborough or norwich or somewhere that had a bike rack in the disabled area... it was orange in colour... whether or not it's still at 1932 I couldn't say.

Was it just in 1932, it is 2010 now you know...
  • g00se
    Get the Norwich train. 50 minutes to Colchester and free use of the guards van (bike racks and straps). Not sure what rush hour limitations there are
  • g00se
    Found this:

http://www.nationalexpresseastanglia.com/on_board_trains/baggage_information/cycle_carriage

No rush hour restrictions on intercity trains out of liverpool street if you book a free space in the guards van.
  • rally200
    . to peterborough or norwich or somewhere..

such disdain for Norwich - you must be a Tractor Boy, I mean girl, oh you know