Forks - Fox or Rock Shox?

2»

Comments

• My votes with RS, purely off value for money. I've only ridden Fox's once when trying something out and thought it felt nice, but I'm sure there would have been an RS equivalent for a couple of hundred squids cheaper.
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • What about when comparing the Fox 40 R and RS 888 RV?
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    Tough call.. having ridden both (I'm comparing '08 Fox f120rl's and '09 RS rev 426 dual airs - I know they're slightly different, but whatever!)

The foxs were amazing, I've always liked them, they've had an aura about them since I was younger.. never had a problem with mine, but i decided to switch them for some 140mm Rev's, and haven't looked back since.. once they were set up correctly (which was fiddly), they ride like a dream..

But, I'd give fox the point in rear shocks.. my RP23 is the best rear shock I've ridden with.. just amazing.

So.. both. :P
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    I've ridden 2008 versions of both Revelations and Fox Floats quite a lot, and to be honest, for a plush 140mm trail bike, I much prefer the Fox based purely on ride quality. They lack the adjustability, but I never felt like I needed to tweak it.

The dual air system is so broad it lets you chose between various stages of completely useless with a sliver of 5 psi either way of tweaking. Not the most useful scale, it also means a quick adjust on the pressure becomes a 30 minute balancing act. Motion Control forks usually ship with the non-adjustable poploc, which is fairly bollocks and misses the point of the compression damping altogether, it's still miles better than the Fox RL lockout though. For about £5 more per fork they could have fitted the drastically more useful Poploc adjust, which costs about £40 to buy aftermarket.

Completely open, without motion control choking the fork, the Revs feel a lot more divey than the equiv Fox. Saying that, I did get a lot more travel out of them because of this. I've bought a set of 2010 Revelation Races recently though, so I'll give my thoughts after riding them a bit. They're definitiely top value and the weight is amazing.
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    If one fork is miles better then the other, does that means that you can ride
    faster through a selected section?

Like let's take a 500 yards descent and grumsta's bikes with Pike and Vanila 36.
    Will you be faster with the Pike or the Vanila, considering you're on a hardtail or a
    fullsus but same travel and psi at the rear?

I know, I know too many variables but....
  • grumsta
    grumsta Posts: 994
    Xtreem wrote:
    If one fork is miles better then the other, does that means that you can ride
    faster through a selected section?

Like let's take a 500 yards descent and grumsta's bikes with Pike and Vanila 36.
    Will you be faster with the Pike or the Vanila, considering you're on a hardtail or a
    fullsus but same travel and psi at the rear?

I know, I know too many variables but....

I haven't timed myself but if it's a descent then I would definitely be noticeably faster on the Van 36.

First time out on them I did a rocky descent in Grizedale that I have done quite a few times before and absolutely flew down it, dropping off things I had previously rolled.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Haven't ridden the new FIT damper on a Fox yet, would be interested to see how it compares with higher end RS (on everything but price).
  • KonaKurt
    KonaKurt Posts: 720
    I don't understand why anyone should limit themselves to only considering two fork manufacturers... why only Fox or RockShox? MAgura, DT Swiss, Manitou, and not forgetting Marzocchi, all make good quality forks for various applications and riding styles.

While I admit that reputation stands for something, I thhink looking at bike components at face value for what they are, is a healthy way to be.

You can't judge a fork by it's cover!

KK
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I like my fox's i must admit admit, the Rock shox models i ahve used felt cheaper in there construction to me, but i'm not engineer :p

But the big bonus for me, i like a few miles from there service center so i can pop my forks up on my lunch break when they need a service
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    Only had Rock Shox Pikes and Fox F100 which are completely different. From what I can see so far there are pro and cons for both brands. The finishing on the fox forks is better though (as you'd expect for a fork that retails at almost twice the price.) The Pikes are a good fork, and I get the feeling they could be great, but i've found them a nightmare to set-up. And i don't see whats so great about Motion Control. I like the way Fox adjustment clicks, so you can have a more precise "3 clicks clockwise" or whatever. The Mojo servicing is great for Fox, but expensive, haven't needed to service the Pikes yet.

I think if money was no object I , and most people, would go for Fox.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Xtreem - you judge the forks on their colour and stickers?!!! :lol::lol::lol:

I prefer Fox probably because that's what's on my bike. Light, plush, strong and very durable. I've had mine looked at (sort of semi service) once and that's it - well over 6000 trouble free miles.

The Rockhopper has RS Toras which are clearly lower rent - they work fine but some of the design elements (brace has really fiddly bits that mud gets stuck in, the legs are an awkward shape, etc) just annoy me.

RS do low to top end stuff, Fox only really do high end stuff.

For someone that drives a BMW, that's very important. :wink::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Toras use exactly the same lower legs as the old Revelation (for the trail model) and the new Reba for the XC models.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    Fox only really do high end stuff.

For someone that drives a BMW, that's very important.

I'm sure it is, that way you get to pay too much for something because of the name on it twice....
    :twisted:

:wink::lol::lol::lol:

Sorry Matt, only joking, couldn't help myself!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • I have just come from a 32 talas to RS revelation 09 DA, I'd have to say I prefer the revelations but there are a few factors that make them better. The maxle has a big effect for me, the fox's had new uppers, stanchions, seals and a service done (£160) around 14months ago and now the stanchions have worn again so they needed done again. Small bump sensitivity was terrible and never got anywhere near full travel. I have been on floats which were much better.

It's hard to say which is the best on a general level as its like choosing tyres (all be it very expensive ones) it depends on what you ride, what you like, how you set them up etc etc
  • Surf-Matt
    Bails - I set myself up for it though.

And BMW is also written on the steering wheel and on both front door sills.
    And on the engine :wink:

I'll count the number of "Foxes" when I next ride my steed.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    Bails - I set myself up for it though.

And BMW is also written on the steering wheel and on both front door sills.
    And on the engine :wink:

I'll count the number of "Foxes" when I next ride my steed.

Righto

Last Fox I saw was all mangey, blergh. Was a real struggle to get the Maxle in too, gave up in the end and let it carry on going through the bins.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bol
    bol Posts: 138
    Plusses for Fox - talas ease, 36 weight/reliability
    Plusses for RS - pretty much everything else. Price, still good build quality, ride, Maxle, servicing etc etc.

I'd only go back to Fox for 160s now, my experience of Rebas and Revs has been so good.
  • If you look at mid to high end off the peg bikes, Fox forks are almost totally dominant. That says one of two things:

1) People are attracted to things with a bling reputation ( even if they're not necessarilly much better) so that is why manufacturers spec them, the same trick as the classic rear mech upgarde OR

2) They are superior

The Rockshox range is probably wider too which suggests Fox have the sectors of the market that they're interested in sewn up and SRAM are picking up the more niche categories.

Having said that, I've just bought Revelations and so far, so good although they've not had a proper hammering yet.
    Giant Trance X 2010
    Specialized Tricross Sport
    My Dad's old racer
    Trek Marlin 29er 2012
  • xtreem
    Xtreem - you judge the forks on their colour and stickers?!!! :lol::lol::lol:
    :arrow:
    covelove wrote:
    lets go for looks and build quaility on like for like forks?
    sorry should have made it more clear but just talking generally.
    Well I have ridden a few bikes with RS and Zocchi forks but not like I've
    had a proper offroad blast to judge them on performance.

And as I've said many times before look is very important to me. :lol:
    It's all about taking people's attention. :wink:
  • Surf-Matt
    No it's not - it's all about looking "stealth" then blasting everyone away.

Or that's the idea anyway.

All show, not much go be it on a bike or in a car = gay
  • xtreem
    True.

A local guy replaced his Domain 318 with a Boxxer Race two months ago.
    And from the 200miles that he does per year, :roll: , 150miles are blasing through the kerbs in town. :lol:
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    Xtreem wrote:
    True.

A local guy replaced his Domain 318 with a Boxxer Race two months ago.
    And from the 200miles that he does per year, :roll: , 150miles are blasing through the kerbs in town. :lol:

The mistake he made there was that he when for Boxxers - should have gone for Fox 40s ;)
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160