Pedal Recommendations?

philkeeble
philkeeble Posts: 109
edited February 2010 in Tour & expedition
Recently took delivery of two new Hewitt Cheviots spec'd with Shimano A530 pedals. I fitted a set of pedals to turbo-trainer bike meantime to check them out (been snowed in for weeks!). Whilst I found them fine, my wife finds them very stiff to unclip from compared with the Shimano M520 pedals she has on her old bike, even though the tension is backed off as far as possible.

Does anyone know if the M-series pedals (for MTBs) are able to be backed off to a slacker tension than the A series (road touring)? i.e. if I change the current pedals for a new set of M520s will my missus be better off, or are they likely to be just as stiff and bed in with use?

Any other touring pedal recommendations folk would like to make?
Cheers,
Phil, in Inverurie

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    The pictures I've seen of A 530s eg this one:

product.image.+media+images+cycling+products+actionsports+PD+PD-A530_600x450_v1_m56577569830637299_dot_jpg.bm.512.384.gif

suggest that the mechanism is the same as the 520

product.image.+media+images+cycling+products+actionsports+PD+PD-M520-L_600x450_v1_m56577569830637304_dot_jpg.bm.512.384.gif

It could be that there's something about the pedals that's not working with the missus' shoes. Check to see if you can sort the problem by a bit of judicious trimming of the sole with a stanley knife. Or even whether backing off the adjuster helps - she might have newer or less worn cleats than you.

If the missus is happy with the 520s why not just stick them on? Or if you want consider the version with the polycarb cage.
  • Andy, well spotted.

Having braved the snow and beaten a path to my shed I have had a closer look and found that her old pedals are the earlier version of the M520 (M515?) which has a different latch mechanism. The only Shimano pedal that retains this older mechanism appears to be the M324 which could be an option. I have these on my Trek 8000 and they are an easier release than the current A530. Just a little heavier but better that than a face-plant (which I'm sure would be construed as my fault)!

shimano%20m324%2004.jpg

You're right also about the shoe design. I remember that the caged M324 was originally no good for the wife's canondale shoes as the tread was so deep that it bottomed out on the cage before the cleat engaged. They are now worn down sufficiently to fit, so may be the answer.
    Cheers,
    Phil, in Inverurie
  • markp2
    markp2 Posts: 162
    Try the A520 for touring. I find them much easier than the (newer) A530 type
    Genesis Croix de Fer - my new commuting mount
    Saracen Hytrail - the workhorse - now pensioned off
    Kinetic-One FK1 roadie - the fast one - hairy legs though!
    Cannondale Jekyll Lefty MTB - the muddy one which keeps tipping me into gorse bushes!
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I've seen(and heard) more than a few road "tourers" use (and say they really like)
    Speedplay Frog pedals. Easy to walk in is the thing they seem to like the most.
  • infopete
    infopete Posts: 878
    +1 for frogs

No springs and no tension.

I made the switch from Time atacs a ew years ago and would never change back.

Pete
    Oh and please remember to click on my blog:

http://americanbicyclegroup.wordpress.com

The more clicks I get the higher it creeps up the google radar :)
  • jimwin
    jimwin Posts: 208
    markp2 wrote:
    Try the A520 for touring. I find them much easier than the (newer) A530 type

I agree - they are simple to use and the platform is very supportive for long rides. I did 130 miles in them on one ride with not the slightest problem.

- JimW
  • Ian Sims
    Ian Sims Posts: 735
    I've never found a cleat system that I'm entirely happy with when walking longer distances, so I wan to go back to pedals a toeclips for touring.

Does anyone have recommendations for good toruing pedals and toeclips? I have Shimano MT41 shoes.

Cheers

Ian
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    There's very little choice in touring toeclip pedals now (assuming that touring means no shoeplates).
    I'd probably go for MKS GR9, but VO have an own brand touring pedal that may be of interest
    Velo Orange

Other than that, it's eBay for old TA, or possibly Shimano PD-T100 if you can find some
  • Ian Sims
    Thanks Andrew,

The Velo Orange pedals look rather nice. In fact I like the look of a number of things on their website.

Ian
  • boblo
    boblo Posts: 360
    andrew_s wrote:
    There's very little choice in touring toeclip pedals now (assuming that touring means no shoeplates).
    I'd probably go for MKS GR9, but VO have an own brand touring pedal that may be of interest
    Velo Orange

Other than that, it's eBay for old TA, or possibly Shimano PD-T100 if you can find some

I've got two pairs of PD-T100's looking for somewhere new to live... VGC, just taken off our #2 tandem....
  • Ian Sims
    I took a look in my box of bits and found a pair of old PD-T100's. I might give them a spruce up and see how they are. Otherwise I like the idea of using leather covers for metal toe clips to protect shoes a bit.

Cheers

Ian