Airnimal Chameleon

careful
careful Posts: 720
edited January 2010 in Road general
Just about to order an Airnimal Chameleon Sport mainly for trips to France, Majorca Italy (travel by air). Until now I have struggled with huge bike cases having suffered serious bike damage using bags. Riding will be day rides. Any views from current or past owners would be appreciated.

Comments

• Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Superb road machines,but not good folders.

They will fit in a Delsey hard case, but the problem is storing the case when at t'other end.

If you do not need the performance element there are other bikes out there that fold up smaller and are easier to travel with.
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • careful
    Thanks cunobelin. Confirms what I thought. Performance is more important to me than speed/compactness of folding as I wont be commuting on it. I have ruled out Bromptons etc as I dislike the small-wheel ride and the riding position. It seems that the Chameleon is about the best compromise for my needs. Any idea what is a realistic time for folding it into a case?
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    I use the first fold bag.

With Touring kit (the tubus rack and raceguards) about 5 minutes.

Bike only about 2 - 2.5

It is worth taking time as otherwise the frame get battered
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • careful
    Thanks again cunobelin. I have ordered the bike - should get it next week. Majorca a fortnight later!! Looking forward to using a case that will fit into a taxi or bus.
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    will you declare it to be a bike or pretend it is normal luggage?
    which airline, how much is the bike fee?
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I had a test ride a few years ago - nice but not inspiring and not a patch on a Bike Friday that I regretted not buying since. I do have a Ritchey Breakaway which is a real performance bike - I'd happily race mine whereas not the others.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • SJLcp
    SJLcp Posts: 239
    I think that it will be perfect for overseas trips such as this - I remember taking mine to the L'Etape by train and it went well - takes less than 15 minutes to break down into the case and it's quite straightforward to do.

From a riding perspective it was very good and rode extremely well, the front end is more flexible than a racer but the small wheels handle really well, even at speed down hills. I did experience problems with the open cables under the frame following heavy rain which caused the brakes and gears to seize up but the new ones now use fully enclosed cables. I also suffered badly from the saddle but that can be changed.

The cable problems made me eventually sell mine but all in all I would recommend the newer ones as a good solution to overseas travel. Far easier to travel with a small case than the full sixed bike boxes