Why are (almost) all sportives on a Sunday?

AidanR
AidanR Posts: 1,142
I know it's a traditional day of rest and all, but...

I don't have a car. I live in a city and cycle everywhere. This means to get to events that aren't on my doorstep I rely on public transport. However, what with sportives starting early in the morning and Sunday trains not, I'm screwed. It's all a bit frustrating really...
Bike lover and part-time cyclist.

Comments

• NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    I have the same issue.

I suppose it's because the roads are traditionally quieter on a Sunday???
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Most of the ones I have done were on Saturdays!
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    What about putting something together where people who have space in their car can get together with those looking a lift and all can share the costs :wink:
  • everyone should know / get to know someone with a van :D
    ...the bicycle is the most efficient machine ever created: Converting calories into gas, a bicycle gets the equivalent of three thousand miles per gallon...
  • Dr U Idh
    Dr U Idh Posts: 324
    AidanR - what events are you planning this year? I've a few in mind and we might be able to arrange some car sharing.
  • DaveMoss
    DaveMoss Posts: 236
    Our club is unusual in that our club main run is on Saturday; traffic is never a problem (admittedly, rural Dumfries and Galloway is not outer London). In fact, for most of the roads used by sportives, Sunday drivers would be a bigger problem than Saturday traffic.

I reckon the Sunday bias is just old fashioned rooted in the days when working class folks worked Saturdays and shops were closed on Sundays. There really should be a more even spread Saturday Sunday, I just wish more organisers would move with the times and realise we now have two days in a weekend.
    Sportives and tours, 100% for charity, http://www.tearfundcycling.btck.co.uk
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,906
    I've had a similar problem and when I asked why events were often so early on a Sunday, even in summer when dark evenings aren't a problem, was generally told it's tough titties for not having a car. Public transport users being in the minority and all.
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    check out Audax uk

Alfreton do loads of rides on saturdays. You can ride as fast as you want or take it easy at the back with me.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow