turbo trainers?

dave8178
dave8178 Posts: 169
edited January 2010 in MTB beginners
can you use turbo trainers with mountain bikes or are are they just for road bikes? if so are there any special types or will any do?
specialized stumpjumper.
http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/4461838/
commencal supreme vip.
http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/5884133/
Bianchi via nirone 7.

Comments

• Hi Dave

The vast majority are for both size wheels in fact i cant think of any that aren't.

I would recommend Tacx. Good value, very well built and the choice of the majority of users.

Would you like me to explain any models to you?

Mark
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    sorry to kinda hijack the thread, but still within topic,

is it ok to use normal mtb tyres on turbo trainers or should a slick be fitted? :?
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • its better to swop the tyre over to a road one or a trainer specific one. i used a road one i got from CRC for about £12. then more of the tyre is in contact with the roller at any given time and it makes for a lot smoother ride :)
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Slick tyres aren't any good for turbo trainers as they overheat and keave rubber deposits on the flywheel which in turn causes vibrations throughout the bike. You should get a trainer tyre instead you won't regret it.
  • SiLanc
    SiLanc Posts: 180
    I have recently bought a Tacx Flow and a training tyre to go with it. It cost just under £300 altogether (www.racix.com) and is a great piece of kit. I too had the same concerns about using my mountain bike but they were unfounded. The trainer is easy to set up and can be done so in about 1-2 hours. You could use a knobbly tyre but you'd make a mess as the knobbles will probably come off, the trainer would be put under a lot of vibration stress (due to the knobbles) and it would be very noisy!

Get a trainer tyre instead and save your ear drums from a bashing from the trainer and the missus.

Si :)
    Lap by lap analysis, videos, photos, race reports and a map of race locations www.xcenduro.co.uk
  • Matt N
    Matt N Posts: 160
    antshybrid wrote:
    i used a road one i got from CRC for about £12.

wow, being a tight b*****d that got me excited, what is it?
    If calsberg made bikes... they'd probably be the best bikes in the world

’My Spesh’
  • I just got me a Turbo trainer due to the shiiiite weather

Seems ok but makes you Sweat!!
    On One Inbred 456
    On One Inbred SS