Alright convince me ........

Tail end Charlie
Tail end Charlie Posts: 352
edited January 2010 in Tour & expedition
..... why I need a GPS, and what type. Keep it simple you are talking to a gizmo illterate here. :oops:
I only want one for maps or routes, not a training aid one.

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    You don't.

They are good for doing pre-planned routes though (I have/had a Garmin Legend Etrex HCx (with maps) and Garmin Forerunner 310xt and just sold an Edge 205).
    More problems but still living....
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    You can use a GPS in any number of ways: ranging from following a pre-planned route to simply getting out of trouble if you get lost, lose your map, or need to improvise a route on back lanes that aren't shown on your map.

My GPS weighs a couple of hundred grams or so, and on it I have maps of Britain, France, Italy and Spain that go down to the smallest country lanes - and a street map of every city, town, or village. Plus in an emergency it will tell me the nearest A&E department or cashpoint. And of course I never have to scratch my head wondering where the hell I am after making a wrong turn. Cost including mapping was about £200 - I think that was a good investment.

OK you can live without one, but they're a really useful thing to have, and a worthwhile investment if you do a reasonable amount of touring.

If you just want something for touring 'd recommend a Garmin eTrex Legend. Decent price. Decent battery life. AA batteries. Good memory and facilities for recording your route (if that interests you). The Edge series are primarily intended as training aids but are worth considering if you want something for training as well.