Chain removal.

TheNorthernTrain
TheNorthernTrain Posts: 1,049
edited February 2010 in MTB beginners
I have an 8 speed shimano chain. I want to take it off to give it a good clean. As a result i am gonna have to get a chain removal tool. Once you take the pin out are you able to put it back in or do you have to get replacement ones? Also do you need a tool to put the pin back in?

cheers
MmmBop

Go big or go home.

Comments

• jpstar
    jpstar Posts: 561
    Normally I break the chain using a chain tool but only so much that the pin stays in, but only just. Have to be careful though because it is very hard to get it back into place again. But just keep pushing the pin out and checking that its not all the way out, then once it's done push it back in again.
    Should buy shimano joining pins but I can never be bothered to :lol:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    new joining pin and yes you need a tool.

Or you can use a snap fit connector.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Out on a ride I use the method jpstar says, but if you're at home buy a new pin. What's the saying? A chain's only as strong as it's weakest link....
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Remove the pin completely, fit a SRAM powerlink instead. Much easier, no need for a tool to split the chain then. If you get a couple of spares then you can carry them with you for trail-side repairs.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Agree with bails. SRAM power links work with Shimano chains too. Get a decent chain tool like the PArk Tools or Topeak one and carry it when you ride. Chains do break mid ride and you'll need to be able to shorten it if it happens.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • cheers guys. Should probably have asked that as well. I didn't know if sram fitted on the shimano. I suppose that means you can buy a sram 8spd chain and fit a powerlink as they dont come with one. Might do that, have had the present chain on since i got the bike, about 3 years ago.
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    bails87 wrote:
    Remove the pin completely, fit a SRAM powerlink instead. Much easier, no need for a tool to split the chain then. If you get a couple of spares then you can carry them with you for trail-side repairs.

+1 SRAM or KMC ones can't beet them !
  • turnerjohn
    oh forgot to answer that bit !
    SRAM cassettes work with shimano but not the rear mech as the cable pulls are different.
    You can use any 8 speed chain for your setup, 9 and 10 speed chains will work although not as well and can give occassional chain suck (tho an 8 speed chain on a 10 speed cassette wont well at all ! ).
    If you get a removable link (seperate and re-use types) make sure you get the 8speed one as the widths are very slightly different...it does matter.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn wrote:
    oh forgot to answer that bit !
    SRAM cassettes work with shimano but not the rear mech as the cable pulls are different.
    You can use any 8 speed chain for your setup, 9 and 10 speed chains will work although not as well and can give occassional chain suck (tho an 8 speed chain on a 10 speed cassette wont well at all ! ).
    If you get a removable link (seperate and re-use types) make sure you get the 8speed one as the widths are very slightly different...it does matter.

Should have said the first bit better...shimano shifters wont work with SRAM rear mechs and visa vers......
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    To clear things up, you can use any 8 speed chain on an 8 speed setup, brand doesn't matter.

You can fit a SRAM/KMC snap link/powerlink to any chain, just make sure you get the right one, i.e. 8 speed for an 8 speed chain.

Sram chains come with a powerlink fitted

Get a spare powerlink or two.

After 3 years your chainrings and cassette may be heavily worn too, in which case a new chain will skip. So you might be better off using your old (cleaned) chain until it dies/snaps/skips, then you'll have to change the whole lot: chain,chainrings, cassette.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • There are some good chain removal/fitting tutorials on the park tools website
  • bails87 wrote:

After 3 years your chainrings and cassette may be heavily worn too, in which case a new chain will skip. So you might be better off using your old (cleaned) chain until it dies/snaps/skips, then you'll have to change the whole lot: chain,chainrings, cassette.

I was thinking the rest of it might be a bit buggered too. I think i'll probably do that. I'll get a sram powerlink.

Im just riding this bike now until something breaks and then im gonna look at upgrading.
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Chain suck after fitting a new chain is also symptomatic of worn chain rings, particularly on the front. If you're into buying chain tools, also buy yourself a wear checking tool, the Park Tools one is pretty good and fool proof.

cc-3.jpg

Change you chain when you get to 0.75% wear and you'll get 2 to 3 chains for every cassette if not more.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Seeing as your just looking to clean the chain, you could get a chain cleaning tool. There's a few out there, lets see:

Like the Cyclone By Park Tools - http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/park-cm5 ... 50276.html

Or this by White Lighting http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/bicycle-l ... igger.html

Hope that helps.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    Its easy. Just make sure you have a powerlink and the rest is mostly obvious.
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    powerlinks work really well. get one.
    quick question: i have a sram powerlink, so if my chain were to snap, would i not need a chain tool aswell?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    quick question: i have a sram powerlink, so if my chain were to snap, would i not need a chain tool aswell?

You often need to remove the remains of the snapped link before you can fit a new one.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    so what's the the point of a powerlink if you stil need a tool if it breaks?
    just for cleaning?
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    just for cleaning?
    :lol: I never thought on that but I belive that is true.

Also it's handy when you're changing your frame or derraileur.
    But how often do you change those? :lol:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    just for cleaning?

It's easier and more reliable to fit, is the main reason, no little rivet thing to lose or get in the wrong place. It's also sometimes useful to be able to remove your chain if it gets stuck somewhere, ie falls off the cassette into the spokes or something (which shouldn't happen, but still can)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • so what's the the point of a powerlink if you stil need a tool if it breaks?
    just for cleaning?

When you get a new chain it often needs shortening. Also if out riding and your chain breaks you will need to remove the pin from other side of the broken link before repairing with a powerlink.

Trek Top Fuel 9 2010, Stumpy Pro 2009 ,Giant XTC3 2009, Qu-ax Penny Farthing,
    Elswick Hopper Model M delivery Bike 1960

God Shave The Queen!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    and with practice a tool is often not needed.

and with the 8spd ones it can be very easy to undo.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown