Looking at Subway 2 - need a little advice

downfader
downfader Posts: 3,686
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
Had a look in Halfords today and like the general build for £300. Seems ok, 20 inch frame seems to give me clearance of toes, handlebars are a bit low and might need spacers for saddle height if I'm honest. Disc brakes too. Had a look at the general frame build and for the money seems nice and stiff with good welding (in contrast I didnt like the weld on the Apollos for the same money)

So what do you guys think? Is it worth it for a hack and winter bike? Anyone know if I can upgrade brakes, gears and other parts easily or would they be specific fit to the Subway?

Secondly will it take a rack, mudguards?

Any ideas and help appreciated... I'm more used to the more expensive range of bikes tbh, and as such I dont want to destroy my kona and keep that for better weather if I can rather than changng tyres again (have changed them 4 times in a year already), plus having a back up bike will be handy if I need to go shopping. :?

Comments

• N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,050
    edited January 2010
    Cannot help directly with the Subway2, however, the Carrera Gryphon Disc Spec I test rode from the Hedge End Halfords was not bad last March. I struggled a bit with the gearing going up West End Road (away from High Street), but I was not "match fit" at the time.

Right now, some other possible offers at our LBSes include:-
    56cm Tricross Singlecross £350 (Hargroves, Millbrook)
    Mongoose Maurice £350 (GA Cycles, Shirley, were expecting stock by now)
    DHC Meteor ~£460 (Dave Harding Cyclepsort, Woolston)
    Kona Dew Front Suspension 2008 £408 (Cycleworld, Thornhill)

Being as you are just around the corner from me, you could always come and try my 54cm Felt F5C for size, if your budget can stretch to ~£450 (which would probably mean keeping the Kona to commuting duties and the Felt for fun rides) ;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • downfader
    Cannot help directly with the Subway2, however, the Carrera Gryphon Disc Spec I test rode from the Hedge End Halfords was not back last March. I struggled a bit with the gearing going up West End Road (away from High Street), but I was not "match fit" at the time.

Right now, some other possible offers at our LBSes include:-
    56cm Tricross Singlecross £350 (Hargroves, Millbrook)
    Mongoose Maurice £350 (GA Cycles, Shirley, were expecting stock by now)
    DHC Meteor ~£460 (Dave Harding Cyclepsort, Woolston)

Being as you are just around the corner from me, you could always come and try my 54cm Felt F5C for size, if your budget can stretch to ~£450 (which would probably mean keeping the Kona to commuting duties and the Felt for fun rides) ;)

Is DHC still going? :) Every time I went past that way they were shut. I thought they'd closed down tbh. One of the guys I speak to in the lock up at work comes from around there and knows the guy apparently.

My thinking this time is to avoid drops and go for chunkier tyres to give better grip on the cold stuff (hell knows they wont grit the little side roads I often use, and tbh I dont expect them to). Not worried about suspension or weight.

Still only an "if" at the moment.
  • downfader wrote:
    Is DHC still going? :) Every time I went past that way they were shut. I thought they'd closed down tbh. One of the guys I speak to in the lock up at work comes from around there and knows the guy apparently.

My thinking this time is to avoid drops and go for chunkier tyres to give better grip on the cold stuff (hell knows they wont grit the little side roads I often use, and tbh I dont expect them to). Not worried about suspension or weight.

Still only an "if" at the moment.

I know what you mean about finding the shop open, when I do I go and buy a lottery ticket! :lol:
    However, his ebay website is still active, which is where I saw the Campag equipped "Meteor"...
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2010-DHC-Racing-M ... 35a5bd75cb
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • downfader
    supersonic wrote:
    Giant FCR 3?

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDeta ... ctID=17270

Very light for the money.

I have tried one of those a while back i think, in "electric blue". For want of a better description :lol: Very nice looking, amazing welding for the money and looks solid. Might look a little too tempting for the tealeaves if I use it for shopping. :wink: Though I'm temped to gaffa tape the frame up anyway.
    I know what you mean about finding the shop open, when I do I go and buy a lottery ticket!
    However, his ebay website is still active, which is where I saw the Campag equipped "Meteor"...

Got my lotto ticket for tonight. Think I deserve to win tbh, I just cleared 1 inch thick ice from my section of road this afternoon (along with my neighbour and brother). Man I'm knackered, took 2 hours and we cleared the path outside as best we could too as that had turned to solid ice and two guys slipped outside before. :oops:

I digress... I'll have a gander at his ebay page. Think I have an ebay account still, could use that to email him if I see anything interesting. :D
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,952
    The Subwya IMHO is a good honest, solid bike.

My 05 subway one has allowed me to commute for effectively 2 years, and apart from a bit of the rear brake snapping off, has been faultless.

It's never been washed, and I only oil it now and then as required.

It has a good rack on it, and I fitted SKS MTB 60mm guards, so very little road debris reaches me.

On my older model it has an adjustable stem, ie it pivots around the headset if that makes sense - do the new ones have fixed stems now?

Cheers

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • downfader
    Cheers Daniel! Yes they are fixed stem now. :)
  • Hi downfadar hope this helps i own one off these bikes and have used it every day to commute on approx 3000 miles since feb with about a break off around six weeks while i waited for collarbone to heal (motorbike accident not halfords fault :D ).
    The bike has been great went all through summer no problems and at the start off winter i gay ed it up and put guards on (little bit off a pain to fit well but easy if you take your time), and the bike has been great only problem being the freehub died and was told its none removable and needed new hub so i nicked wheels off mtb and changed tyres at same time made a load off difference mainly tyres i think as standard one roll sh*t but only one puncture.
    I have fitted vittora randonera (think thats how you spell it) from decatholon 26 by 1.5 and at £10 each brill.
    The bike has been used everyday in this bad weather snow ice the lot even when cars have been stuck its only took me a little longer.
    Oh last thing i changed saddle and seatpost as well.
    Hope this helps anything you need to know i will try and help. (oh and finish is great)
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    I have a subway 1,pretty much the same except the brakes are standard ones and i think you get an 8 speed block instead of the 7 i get?

Mine has done over 5000 miles and apart from replacement stuff for wear and tear i have not had any problems with it.
    Put some scawble city jet 26x1.5s on as the bog standard tyres i found a bit squirly under high speed turns and when i replaced the chain+cassette i went for an 11-28 rather than the 12-32 that was on it .EDIT the freehub did need a replacement after about 3000 miles , that was £27 including fitting.

With gaurds+ pannier rack its a great winter commute i think ,pity i have wimped out atm as i have had a run of runs.........+ just got over a bout of anti biotics.

heres mine ..(click piccie for larger view)
    xmas09126.th.jpg
    FCN 3/5/9