Navigation for Sportives ? GPS ?

redjeepǃ
redjeepǃ Posts: 531
I did a couple of sportives last year and am currently planning my schedule for 2010.

One problem I found with the sportives last year was the lack of signs and the constant "am I going the right way ?" concerns. Part of this was my own fault as I didn't really do any preparation and didn't even have a proper map.

I'd quite like to eliminate this concern this year and am wondering how everybody navigates when they go around ? Obviously carrying a map and route directions may be a good start, but what about the various GPS options ?

I don't particularly want to have to buy a dedicated bike GPS like a Garmin 605/ 705 etc as I can't really justify it for a handful of days, but may consider a smartphone that I could use for other things. It would be more of a backup than anything when I come to an unmarked junction.

Any suggestions ?

Comments

• There was an article in C+ last year about various GPS options - the 705 came out tops by a mile, but you'd expect that really as a cycling dedicated device, but they mentioned a few smartphone options.

Personally I can't see how anyone can ever have enough GPS devices, so I'd get a 705 and hang the expense - mine's brilliant. I take it on Sportives so I don't get lost, but also I put in the tops of climbs as waypoints etc so I can see how far I've got to go. I can save my ride to my 'pooter so I can compare performance for the same event, and on training rides it saves lots of mucking about with maps at junctions to work out which way next.
  • i phone market is opening up in the uk and there should be some good deals around soon. never seen it but there is gps navigation apps that are useful.
    ...the bicycle is the most efficient machine ever created: Converting calories into gas, a bicycle gets the equivalent of three thousand miles per gallon...
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Redjeep! wrote:
    I did a couple of sportives last year and am currently planning my schedule for 2010.

One problem I found with the sportives last year was the lack of signs and the constant "am I going the right way ?" concerns. Part of this was my own fault as I didn't really do any preparation and didn't even have a proper map.

I'd quite like to eliminate this concern this year and am wondering how everybody navigates when they go around ? Obviously carrying a map and route directions may be a good start, but what about the various GPS options ?

I don't particularly want to have to buy a dedicated bike GPS like a Garmin 605/ 705 etc as I can't really justify it for a handful of days, but may consider a smartphone that I could use for other things. It would be more of a backup than anything when I come to an unmarked junction.

Any suggestions ?

Don't forget, there has to be a gpx file of the route, that has to be dowloaded to whatever
    gps unit you buy.
  • G-Wiz
    G-Wiz Posts: 261
    I bought a 705 last year and completely love it. Best bit is just watching the miles tick down when you've no idea where you are, gets you past some of the duller bits nicely when noone else is around.

I did have some problems on the Guildford Cycle Challenge when the supplied GPX wasn't the same as the marked route, but no major issue.

If you don't want to splash out, then either use a phone that has GPS built in, or you can get bluetooth gps receivers for under £50, then there's a stack of software out there depending on what you are using.

Something like Beeline would do the job on a windows mobile phone
    http://www.visualgps.net/BeeLineGPS/default.htm

Biggest problem on phones is that GPS or bluetooth both put a big strain on the battery, and so does the screen (the 705 has a very low contrast screen that's low on power) I gave up using my blackberry on rides of more than 3 hours, and that was just with it sat in my pocket recording waypoints every few minutes.

Go on, 705, you know you want to really :twisted:
  • Totally agree with Andy-from-Embsay (but then I would since I'm his brother!). I have 5 different GPS units, which I use in different circumstances (and another 4 that I either no longer use, or I've given away!!). My vote would go with the 705 for Sportives,

Rick

http://garstangcyclingclub.net
  • redjeepǃ
    Thanks everybody.

It seems that most people reckon that the 705 is the way to go, I'll have to seriously consider this. I do have a forerunner 305, which is brilliant, but I'm reluctant to spend that much on something I'm only going to use a few times a year. My 305 has been used practically everyday since I got it :shock: .

In the meantime I may look into a cheaper option, as I already have a GPS equipped PDA that doesn't really get used for anything else and a Blackberry. The biggest problems seem to the battery life, fragility and lack of waterproofing, but I may have a try to see how I get on.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    Redjeep! wrote:
    I do have a forerunner 305, which is brilliant
    Why not use the 305, maps a route almost as well as an Edge 705, and you already have it.

If you must have something new an Edge 205 (£120) will be better than a smartphone.
    Rich
  • redjeepǃ
    Hi RichA,

I've got the Forerunner 305, not the Edge 305, which doesn't do maps. I believe that it can be used for waypoints, so I may have a play with this and see how practical it is.
  • Navigation's ok on the fr 305 - if you put a waypoint on junctions it tells you which way to turn. Problem comes if you get off route - a 705 will tell you where to go to get back on route, a fr 305 won't.

I think the 705's well worth the money - if only for saving time when you're out on roads you don't know.
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    Yes a GPS unit may help, I`ve got Geko 201 and Edge 305 (which is better for long routes as it takes courses whilst I don`t think 201 does, being more GPS orientated rather than a training aid ie 305), but my big question would be to the organisers as to why you`ve found signage inadequate! :( One of the (supposed) costs in a sportive is the route set up = signage on the course and provision of maps---this is where audaxes ef are different, no course signs
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    Redjeep! wrote:
    I've got the Forerunner 305, not the Edge 305, which doesn't do maps. I believe that it can be used for waypoints, so I may have a play with this and see how practical it is.
    FR305 has similar capabilities to an Edge 205/305. Load a track or a course onto it in advance, then follow the breadcrumb trail. It won't show you the roads but that really is not an issue (as you wont be lost).

I would load a route and test it out locally. There are a number of free websites that allow you to map routes (such as bikely, etc). I have tracklogs software which is excellent (but not necessary).
    Rich
  • redjeepǃ
    RichA wrote:
    Redjeep! wrote:
    FR305 has similar capabilities to an Edge 205/305. Load a track or a course onto it in advance, then follow the breadcrumb trail. It won't show you the roads but that really is not an issue (as you wont be lost).

I would load a route and test it out locally. There are a number of free websites that allow you to map routes (such as bikely, etc). I have tracklogs software which is excellent (but not necessary).

Thanks everybody for your help. I've just looked into the GPS capabilities for the FR305 and reckon once I figure out how to get the route into think it'll be more than adequate for most of the time and just use the Blackberry when/ if I get lost to get back on track.

Excellent, as I carry them both anyway. The only other thing may be to carry a proper route plan as well.

Even better it's not even cost me anything !