which 12 hour tour dvd next??

moorjohn
moorjohn Posts: 89
edited February 2010 in Pro race
I have 2006, which aint bad. The time trial leaves a bad taste, now FL has been chucked out, but most of the other stages feel like real races.

2007 isn't good in my view, as the leader (Rasmussen) was pulled halfway through. Mind you, the dual he had with Bertie just before was great watching.

2008 - my preferred choice as I feel it was clean-ish, apart from that German bloke in the time trials.

2009 - not bad, but a lot of stages where gc didn't change at the top.

or one of the old ones-maybe 2003: Lance's most exciting with the crash on the hill climb and with Jan's crash on final tt.

they're all around £60 for 12 hour dvd, so everything to play for.

otoh I paid £60 for Buffy series 3, and only watched it once; as against 4 times now for 2006 tdf. Where's the sense in that ?... who would have rated Floyd's a*se over Buffy's face?

Comments

• teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Spend your money on the boxset of the wire.

It is quite literally the best programme ever made by miles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ2iGYwdEi8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXv3IKfqKmI
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    I got Johnathan Creek complete box set for £14 on eBay a while back. It's pretty addictive!

ITO cycling, Lance Armstrong's box set was £9.99 on HMV.co.uk when I bought it last year- but probably only for LA fans mind you...

I really want to see the Legends of the Tour de France DVDs. They've got a few released- Mercx, and I think French and Italian Legends of the Tour would be interesting.
  • yes you may be right. the reviewer guy is very persuasive.

a realistic portrayal of the effects of drug use and gang warfare.

just a minute...where am I ...

(I might buy it, but still, which tdf dvd?)
  • moorjohn wrote:

is that the wire or the 2003 Tour? :?

How about a Giro or Classics box set? For actual racing, both are better than recent Tours. Or how about the 89 or 90 Tours, both were quality, if you can get them on DVD.
  • moorjohn wrote:

is that the wire or the 2003 Tour? :?

How about a Giro or Classics box set? For actual racing, both are better than recent Tours. Or how about the 89 or 90 Tours, both were quality, if you can get them on DVD.

My Milan-San Remo DVD arrived today. Brilliant race, will never get old
  • The battle between Bertie and the Ras was good stuff. May revisit that myself.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    The 2003 Tour is in my opiinion the best GT of recent years, closely followed by the 2005 Giro.

For non cycling related stuff the band of Brothers DVD box set is good and got me through a couple of weeks on the turbo!
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • 1997, 1998, 2003 Tours.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Hi

I bought the Greg Lemond set of Tour wins - covering 1986, 1989 and 1990, plus the 1989 worlds win

Great stuff - great rider!
  • Joe86
    Joe86 Posts: 180
    Nice topic, I'm trying to decide which to go for next. I think 2003 is probably the best bet. Have you got any of the earlier 8/10 hr sets? I wondered if they are worth checking out?
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    1997, 1998, 2003 Tours.

Where can you get the 97 Tour?
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Of the ones you mention I would go with 2008. I really enjoyed it as a Tour and got the 4 hour version. In saying that the 07, 4 hour is enjoyable wathcing too until Chicken boy gets slung out. 09, which I have the 5 hour of is ok but what you say about GC is true.

If not go for an oldie as others have said, I like 03, thats a winner.
  • terongi
    terongi Posts: 318
    Sonny73 wrote:
    In saying that the 07, 4 hour is enjoyable wathcing too until Chicken boy gets slung out.

I agree that the chicken's departure made a nonsense of the GC overall, but you have to admit that (if you can mentally put aside how the GC got to that state) the final ITT is a great sporting spectacle wom its own ith the top 3 GC riders so close on time.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Timoid. wrote:
    1997, 1998, 2003 Tours.

Where can you get the 97 Tour?

Order from http://www.fatjanspiefund.com
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    edited February 2010
    terongi wrote:
    Sonny73 wrote:
    In saying that the 07, 4 hour is enjoyable wathcing too until Chicken boy gets slung out.

I agree that the chicken's departure made a nonsense of the GC overall, but you have to admit that (if you can mentally put aside how the GC got to that state) the final ITT is a great sporting spectacle wom its own ith the top 3 GC riders so close on time.

No, fair play and agreed, it is a great watch and I always like seeing Betrie win. I remember watching it live and screaming at the telly when he kept attacking Rasmussen in the Pyrenees; so in whatever capacity he beat Rasmussen, it's nice to see him crowned at the end.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    For non cycling related stuff the band of Brothers DVD box set is good and got me through a couple of weeks on the turbo!

That's exactly what I've been doing this week. I've had the box set for ages, but never got round to watching it. Box sets and turbo trainers go together like fish and chips.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Joe86
    Joe86 Posts: 180
    I recently bought 2003 and 2005, and I was wondering if 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, were worth checking out? Or should I save my money and maybe buy 2008 :D

Cheers
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    I got Johnathan Creek complete box set for £14 on eBay a while back. It's pretty addictive!

ITO cycling, Lance Armstrong's box set was £9.99 on HMV.co.uk when I bought it last year- but probably only for LA fans mind you...

I really want to see the Legends of the Tour de France DVDs. They've got a few released- Mercx, and I think French and Italian Legends of the Tour would be interesting.

I've got Legends of the Tour Lance Armstrong and as long as you're not a hater, as a lot of people on here seem to be, it's a bloody good watch. I also quite like the road to paris which is basically following the US Postal for months leading up to the 2001 Tour.

And no I'm not a fanboy and have discs about other riders/teams too..;-)
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    Joe86 wrote:
    I recently bought 2003 and 2005, and I was wondering if 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, were worth checking out? Or should I save my money and maybe buy 2008 :D

Cheers

I have the 99 and 2000 Tours and enjoyed them both for different reasons. The first because no-one really thought LA was a climber, and the 2nd due to the battles with Pantani, Armstrong and Ulrich. Pantani had just come back after 11 months and wasn't quite the climber he was, but still brilliant stuff. I liked the fact that LA wasn't seen as much of a climber prior to the start of 99 and he was simply outstanding.