Pedals in hand luggage?

peter_andrew
peter_andrew Posts: 373
Hi
I am off tfor the 1st time to Sportactive at end of February. I am only taking hand luggage and was going to put my pedals in it as i am hiring a bike there.
I have just read the Cycling weekly and there seems to be some debate whether pedals will be allowed now. Or was it just the fact they were also carrying mult-tools?
Has anybody recently travelled and had any problems?

Thanks for any responses.
Peter

Comments

• wouldn't risk it, security is so high. Someone may say its ok, only takes the person checking to say no though and you're stuffed.
    Can you not arrange for your hire bike to have pedals to your spec? or change cleat system to suit hire bike?
    i'll ride anything, but I prefer carbon.......... she screamed!!

www.sportivecentral.com
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    Didn't spot you're only taking hand luggage at first: Can you post your pedals to your accommodation ahead of time maybe?
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Can the bike shop provide pedals? They may have a standard model eg Shimano or Keo. Buy the cheapest model of your pedal (or s/h) and bin them? Still cheaper than getting turned away or just check your hand luggage as hold luggage and take your track-pump/pedals etc. Still cheaper than getting turned away.
    M.Rushton
  • Friend of mine took pedals in hand luggage from Liverpool last year but I know of rock climbing karabiners being confiscated as they can be used as knuckle dusters.

Your call I suppose
  • Always take pedals and skewers in hand carry on and never had an issue. Put them in paper towels (since leave spindles greased) in a baggy. Been on american and ba transatlantic and easy jet and ryanair.

I have been stopped about my pedal tool -- and had to pay £20 to put on plane in baggage. Really that's the worse case scenario that you'll have to go back to check in and pay bag fee to put on plane.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Personally, I'd try it.
    The article you referred to in that comic sounded like an isolated incident, and don't get me started on that again! :evil: :evil:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    Why don't you just contact the airline and ask?
  • Whatever the airline says it'll be down to the people scanning bags and doing security and they can change thier minds daily!!!
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    Brakeless wrote:
    Whatever the airline says it'll be down to the people scanning bags and doing security and they can change thier minds daily!!!

Good point., and I should know...wife works for an airline..;-)
  • My pedals went through a Spanish airport security no problem (Seville) yesterday, and I'm pretty sure through Stansted this time last year. FWIW.
  • hopper1 wrote:
    Personally, I'd try it.
    The article you referred to in that comic sounded like an isolated incident, and don't get me started on that again! :evil: :evil:

Was that the one where the lads dad wrote in say he should have been allowed on the plane with loads of sachets and tubs of white powder without question seemingly because he had a copy of CW with him?
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    hopper1 wrote:
    Personally, I'd try it.

Was that the one where the lads dad wrote in say he should have been allowed on the plane with loads of sachets and tubs of white powder without question seemingly because he had a copy of CW with him?

Aye, that one.... The Raleigh Team rider... :roll:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • hopper1 wrote:
    hopper1 wrote:
    Personally, I'd try it.

Aye, that one.... The Raleigh Team rider... :roll:

If by "started on that again" you meant "punch him in the face repeatedly" then I too share your sentiment :twisted:
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Try the BAA or CAA websites? Bear in mind cycling weekly said it's ok to travel with CO2 cartridges when these are on the banned list so check with the right people.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    sampras38 wrote:
    Why don't you just contact the airline and ask?

Nothing at all to do with airline, whatever they say will be meaningless.
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    I had a small, cheap combi-lock taken out of my hand luggage at east midlands airport. When I looked slightly disappointed I attracted far too much attention and immediately had to thank the gang of blue shirts for their attention to detail.

It's hard to know whether you would get through with pedals.

And the man in front of me once said' well, if I was was carrying a knife it would not be a metal one'. I think they made him regret that observation.
    TerryJ
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow