Don't you just love that feeling....

scale20
scale20 Posts: 1,300
edited January 2010 in MTB general
When you build a bike and sit back with a beer and admire it?

I get such a buzz from building bikes from the frame up, it's good when everything slides and screws into place without a problem.

My Mrs bought a new Pace RC 405 frame from CRC along with other bits and bobs needed. We picked up from the Parcel force depot yesterday and got it built up last night. I bought a headset press and fitted my first headset, that was a good feeling watching them cups go in :lol:

Only real issues I had was the rear brake hose was too short for the propper routing, but that got re-routed for the short term and there was no plastic front mech cable guide on the underside of the BB housing. Another bike got butchered for that.

Frames got a Rock Shox monarch 3.3 shock on it. Anyone got any feedback on them?

I had to treat her to an Orange £100 joplin from CRC to go with the frame.

The only worry I have now is the his and hers label. Me with the 506 and her with the 405 :oops: :oops:

Some pics will follow soon.
Niner Air 9 Rigid
Whyte 129S 29er.

Comments

• CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    This will be my next bike so let me know how she gets on with it when you finally get the chance to go out and test it.
  • scale20
    Went out today but Coed y brenin was under a few inches of snow so she couldn't open it up properly. She says it feels right though.

Off out for a low level snowless ride tomorrow so will let you know.

That first sentence is wide open for all sorts of sexual innuendo's eh? :lol::lol::lol:
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Sorry.... you thought I meant the Pace 405. Whoops!
  • scale20
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Sarnian
    Sarnian Posts: 1,451
    I am so with you on this one scale, I have spent most of my life riding and building bikes In one form or another, and to me the building Is just as important as the riding :D
    It's not a ornament, so ride It
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    I don't build MTB's but i've now built 2 Motorbikes from pieces of crap that didn't work.

They took several months each and were both immensly satisfying !
  • hehe its addictive... hense why i'm building another....

I love having bits lying around awaiting to be put together :D
  • scale20
    I've built a few bikes, I'm no expert but i think by building one it makes you more aware of how things work and gives you more confidence in maintaining your bike yourself.

Every 6 months or so I will strip my bike and re-build it.

Here are a couple of pics of the finished product. Most of the parts came straight off her Maverick, after I cleaned them all up. :lol:

2010_01090001.jpg

2010_01090003.jpg

I had to re-route the rear brake hose along the top tube for now with it not being long enough to go down the underside of the downtube and along the L/H chainstay.

I wasn't too sure on the colour when she bought it but doesn't look too bad built.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Sarnian
    Sarnian Posts: 1,451
    Thats a very nice build you have there :D
    It's not a ornament, so ride It
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    hehe its addictive... hense why i'm building another....

orange crush?
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    hehe its addictive... hense why i'm building another....

It is isn't it!
    I must've had a build on the go of one description or another for nealy a year, i'll be said when this next one's finished, not got room for another :(
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • scale20
    looking for my next one now. A nice hardtail I think. Need to fit more headsets with my new press :lol::lol::lol:
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.