WIP - The Walrus Of Love Updated again 18/11/11

spongtastic
spongtastic Posts: 2,651
edited November 2011 in Your mountain bikes
Well, so far it's out of the box and I've fitted a gold Superstar Components bottom bracket

IMG_0454.jpg

IMG_0455.jpg

Tonight I'll be fitting a Gold Superstar Components GTO Headset, Deore HT2 chainet and Tora 318 forks and XM719/XT wheels with Gold QRs

If I manage to sell all the bits I've got then the forks will be replaced with Rebas customised with Gold graphics.
Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?

Comments

• jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    is the frame custom painted?

looks very 8)
  • spongtastic
    Nope, not custom, it's the 'Barry White' colour scheme.

• Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    That has such bling potential it is unreal! :wink:

I have ordered a set of frame bolts in assorted colours, I think there should be a gold pair in there. Let me know if you are interested and I will mail them free of charge.
  • i looked long and hard at that frame, So very nearly bought one,
    as said, So much Bling potential!!!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    haha that looks great, "barry white" gives me a good chuckle :lol: should turn out really nice
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • That looks really nice :D Not seen one in that colour before.

Go easy on the gold - you'll end up looking like a packet of JPS :wink:
    I hate it when people say David Beckham's stupid...its not like anyone ever says: 'Stephen Hawking - he's s**t at football.' Paul Calf
  • spongtastic
    Yep, I've decided to go easy on the gold. It's pretty much finished and I'll post some pics soon.

The gold parts are going to be headset, bottom bracket, chainring bolts, cables and yellow grips. Decided against the gold bars from on one.

Eventually I'll fit a set of gold pro 2's on 717's and the XT/719s will go back on the FSR.

Kiblams, I'll send you a PM with my work address in case there are any gold frame bolts.

• spongtastic
    Finished and out in the snow. Not a very good trip out though, 3 punctures in 2 miles.

Image199.jpg

Image198.jpg

• xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Hard to see, post better pictures from one side. :)
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    teacherman wrote:
    That looks really nice :D Not seen one in that colour before.

Go easy on the gold - you'll end up looking like a packet of JPS :wink:

that'd actually be quite cool, could be like one of these bad boys...
    http://atspeedimages.com/image.php/8de7 ... rew_36.jpg
    flying fag packets
  • Kiblams
    Could really do with much better pics Spong!

Let me know if/when you have recieved the bolts.
  • spongtastic
    will post more/better pictures and bolts came in the post this morning.

both inner tubes were like swiss cheese when I got home, rear had about 12 holes and 5 thorns, front had at least 6 holes that I could find!

• Kiblams
    and bolts came in the post this morning.

My pleasure :wink:

How on earth did you manage to get so many punctures? Council been out cutting all of the hedges in your area? or are you using cling film sprayed black instead of tyres? :wink:
  • spongtastic
    well, I had the choice of cycling where everybody and their dogs had been walking meaning I'd have to tackle 7 miles of sheet ice and dog sh*t :evil: or go through snow a foot deep for 7 miles . I chose the snow, but I think there must have been an awful lot of brambles and other stuff under the snow that I couldn't see :roll: The conti tube will make a nice logo'd black and yellow chainstay protector!

• spongtastic
    and I've now ordered gold token grips to match the other gold bits.

• spongtastic
    edited March 2010
    More pics, showing the gold bits and the terrible wear to the finish on Deore chainset after 1 ride. KCNC chainring bolts haven't failed yet either, and I'm sticking with the 1x9.

Thanks to the Enviroment Agency clearing undergrowth and showering my local route with thorns and brambles as from this morning I've put a pair of old XM317/Conti Vapour wheels back on. Not as good in the mud as the XM719/Storms but I'm getting fed up of punctures.

BWC6.jpg

BWC5.jpg

BWC4.jpg

BWC3.jpg

BWC2.jpg

The XM719's will eventually go on this

FSRExpert.jpg

• Any chance of a decent pic of the whole bike instead of close-up's of the gold bits ?
  • spongtastic
    It's quite difficult getting a decent picture of this one, colour isn't really showing up and inside it's too dark at the moment. The storms went back on because I didn't fancy the contis in the mud on Sunday morning.

IMG_00361.jpg

• spongtastic
    As it stands now, works quite well. Lunch time stats were 28.2km, 1hr 21m, average speed 21.05 km/h.

IMG_1385.jpg

The spec is as follows

Frame - on one inbred phase 1, Barry White, 20 inch
    Bottom Bracket - Superstar HT2 in gold
    Headset - Superstar GTO in Gold
    Seatclamp - Brand x
    Fork - Reba SL

Seatpost - Raceface Deus, 400mm
    Stem - Raceface Deus, 100mm with Ti bolts
    Bars - Raceface Deus low rise
    Grips - Token with gold lock ons
    Saddle - Fizik Gobi XM

Brakes - Avid Elixir CR front and rear with superstar kevlar pads. Deore XT 180/160 CL rotors
    Wheels - Fulcrum Red Metal 5
    Tyres - Front Schwalbe Racing Ralph Dual Defence Evo 2.25, Rear Maxxis High Roller 1.9 Exception Silkworm
    Skewers - Superstar Ti Black.

Chainset - Deore M590
    Cassette - Deore M61 11-28
    Shifters - Sram X5
    Rear Mech - Sram X9
    Front Mech - Deore XT
    Cables - Deore XT and Flying Snake mix.

• spongtastic
    As it stands now

f14dafff.jpg

Kcnc bars, stem, post, bolts, valve caps. Grips to go on
    Gobi saddle
    Elixir CR Carbon brakes with XT cl rotors
    Red Metal 5 wheels with Rons
    Salsa liplock clamp - heavy but totally awesome
    520 spds
    Deore chainset, pc991 chain, blackspire 34t ring, superstar chain device, x7 rear mech, x5 shifter, slx cassette.
    Lights are airbike and blackburn with 2 XML 501s

10.5kg