Saxo Bank Call it a Day.......

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
edited January 2010 in Pro race
Saxo bank ending sponsorship at the end of the year...
http://www.saxobanktakingthelead.com/?p=1934
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    didn't last long
    cartoon.jpg
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Chinny to BMC

:wink:
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Doobz
    andy shrek to the shack?
    cartoon.jpg
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Riis to find a new sponsor?

I wonder how much this has to with the IT Factory fiasco. Did SB have to cough up more money when that went kaput?
  • Doobz
    bit off topic but it Would be cool if Virgin / Virgin Media (branson empire) would get involved in cycling and go head to head with sky :lol:
    cartoon.jpg
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    afx237vi wrote:
    Riis to find a new sponsor?

I wonder how much this has to with the IT Factory fiasco. Did SB have to cough up more money when that went kaput?

I hope so.

Not always my favourite team, but are better and injecting some excitement than most other teams.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    CN Article

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/saxo-ba ... ponsorship

However, we also have to acknowledge that the sponsorship has not been ideal in reaching our narrow target group,”
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    Perhaps Saxo Bank's marketing honcho was a cycling nut and s/he has now changed jobs or summat.

It's a fair point - cycling's hardly going to reach a huge number of people.
  • sward29
    sward29 Posts: 205
    I wonder if Specialized, who were rumoured to be following Cervelo and starting their own factory team, will see this as a good opportunity to take over as title sponsor.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Andyrubio - I think that Saxobank were actually saying that cycling reached too many people - but that none of these people were the sort of people that they wanted.

So we've had the Shack and Team Sky come in - but we're losing Milram, Saxobank, lost Barloworld.... Can't believe that Germany won't "have" a team - surely they could run a pro-team on the Garmin anti-doping lines...
  • AndyRubio wrote:
    Perhaps Saxo Bank's marketing honcho was a cycling nut and s/he has now changed jobs or summat.

Brings back memories of the PruTour and it's abrupt demise.
  • lucybears
    lucybears Posts: 366
    SunGard, nuevo co-sponsor del Saxo Bank
    http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/no ... p?id=21428
    interview.cyclingfever.com
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    edited January 2010
    "We recognise that the sponsorship has given us a great branding opportunity and increased our name recognition around the world," Saxo Bank co-founders and co-chief executives Kim Fournais and Lars Seier Christensen said.

"However, we also have to acknowledge that the sponsorship has not been ideal in reaching our narrow target group."

Perhaps I'm not their target demographic, but I must admit that before they came in I'd never heard of them, and now other than them being a bank I have no idea what they do.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    I blame the commentators. There's such a rich vein of puns to be had.

Saxo are banking on the Schlecks...

Quick-step are hoping to floor the lotto team.

Lotto are taking a gamble.

etc...
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • I am sure there is a pun about RadioShack and listening to team orders but i just cant seem to find it.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    They should find a sponsor, the roster is good enough to guarantee all round publicity at the highest levels in the sport.
  • Doobz
    Danish cycling Team Saxo Bank says it has signed a one-year sponsorship deal with American software company SunGard.

Team manager Trey Greenwood said Tuesday the deal "is a strong signal to send for us and it couldn't come at a better time."

However, the team is still looking for a new main sponsor to buy the naming rights after Saxo Bank said last week it would withdraw its sponsorship by the end of the year. The Internet-based investment bank became a sponsor in 2009 for a three-year period.

SunGard spokesman Brian Robins says the Pennsylvania-based group "see great potential to improve SunGard's brand awareness and visibility as a global IT company."

Financial details of the deal were not disclosed.
    cartoon.jpg