Richmond Park

Sewinman
Sewinman Posts: 2,131
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
I need to get some miles in this weekend and was wondering if RP was ok to ride on a road bike?

Stumped as to what to do if its out of bounds - any decent distance ride will lead to roads that are too icey. :?

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Nope. Not at all. See Chris' pic:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12672220

Turbo? Rollers? MTB?
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Sewinman wrote:
    I need to get some miles in this weekend and was wondering if RP was ok to ride on a road bike?

Stumped as to what to do if its out of bounds - any decent distance ride will lead to roads that are too icey. :?

Cough! Ridgeway....
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Meh...i only have road bikes and a knackered hybrid. Might have to go the local gym and go on a machine, do not own a turbo/roller.
  • nope.
    4254419963_ea26ef5800.jpg
    4255184768_e979bff961.jpg

good fun on MTB/Hybrid/Cross but be dumb on a roadie.
  • Sewinman wrote:

I would imagine Regent's Park outer circle would be OK, though I haven't actually verified this
    <a>road</a>
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    Sewinman wrote:

i'm planning to do Tour De Centre-Ville, the roads in Central London are fine. A bit boring but i also need the miles.
  • jonginge
    amnezia wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

i'm planning to do Tour De Centre-Ville, the roads in Central London are fine. A bit boring but i also need the miles.
    I was thinking the same...
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • JonGinge wrote:
    amnezia wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

Here's an idea to make it more fun... an independent third party, such as myself, could give you a list of landmarks in central london, and you have to take all of them in using your own route, starting and finishing at any of the landmarks, take a picture of a specified part of each to prove you were there, and post times and landmark order...

We could call it the london landmark challenge... as much a navigation exercise as a riding speed one.
  • jonginge
    JonGinge wrote:
    amnezia wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

Here's an idea to make it more fun... an independent third party, such as myself, could give you a list of landmarks in central london, and you have to take all of them in using your own route, starting and finishing at any of the landmarks, take a picture of a specified part of each to prove you were there, and post times and landmark order...

We could call it the london landmark challenge... as much a navigation exercise as a riding speed one.
    Shush, you :P
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590

fun for who?
  • JonGinge wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    amnezia wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

It wouldn't be one of those races that you're not allowed to do... the ones that IP and I think would be fun... nope, something completely different. Navigation challenge. No GPS allowed...
  • jonginge
    JonGinge wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    amnezia wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

It wouldn't be one of those races that you're not allowed to do... the ones that IP and I think would be fun... nope, something completely different. Navigation challenge. No GPS allowed...
    I'll think about it. Get back to you next week? ;)

The landmarks would have to be given just before the start otherwise, heaven forfend, cheating may occur...
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Monopoly board sportive?

Short course: visit all the locations in any order
    Long course: visit all the locations in the correct order

Any takers?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Monopoly board sportive?

Any takers?

Ooh that sounds fun!

I'm not doing th birmingham monopoly one though.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • jonginge
    JonGinge wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

I'll think about it. Get back to you next week? ;)

The landmarks would have to be given just before the start otherwise, heaven forfend, cheating may occur...
    Actually, I'm warming to the idea a bit
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    I would imagine Regent's Park outer circle would be OK, though I haven't actually verified this

Well, even if it was surely it's a bit repetative?

What's more you come off it leaning sideways, and a bit dizzy.
  • I like LiT's challenge idea!

Another option is the Chertsey loop - reasonably main roads which are usually clear (in my experience) of ice and snow as they're gritted. From CP to Chertsey and back it's 53 miles - go on to Staines if you need more miles.

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-ki ... 3459190825

This route goes via RP which is obviously a Bad Idea right now - I'm thinking of heading out via Tooting / Merton Park / New Malden/ Kingston instead.

If you're navigationally challenged and a similar pace to me (15-16mph average) I'd be happy to show you the way, Sewinman.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    8)

Giggidy.

8)
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    prawny wrote:
    Monopoly board sportive?

Any takers?

Ooh that sounds fun!

I'm not doing th birmingham monopoly one though.
    I might, if I can find out what the locations are without buying the hateful game...

Or do a short crit around the university edition.
  • Did someone say Monopoly ride?

http://www.bike99.com/bikemonopoly.html

:D
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    8)

Giggidy.

8)

:wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Did someone say Monopoly ride?

http://www.bike99.com/bikemonopoly.html

:D

A bit OT but I once did a monopoly board pub crawl, one of the most awesome days of drinking ever! Not sure I'd fancy doing it on a bike though.
  • That all sounds lovely.

The park is now clear from Sheen Gate round to Kingston Gate anti-clockwise. Bit of ice on Sawyers Hill but nothing to worry about. I needn't have taken the MTB. :(
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    The park is now clear from Sheen Gate round to Kingston Gate anti-clockwise.

Did you see what the bit from Roehampton to Sheen Gate looked like?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    JonGinge wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    amnezia wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

ALLEYCAT!!

crazy-alleycat-race.jpg
  • ALLEYCAT!!

crazy-alleycat-race.jpg

Nope, don't know what you're talking about. Definitely not one of those.
  • The park is now clear from Sheen Gate round to Kingston Gate anti-clockwise.

Did you see what the bit from Roehampton to Sheen Gate looked like?

Sorry, I didn't but I would have thoughnt it would be OK its the main drag. They seemed not to have gritted the hills and the car-free road through the middle.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    LondonLiv - That route you've posted look like fun! Living right near CP I might consider doing that at some point as I need to get in some long rides in preparation for my century (and a quarter!) attempt in June. I know an alternative route out to Thames Ditton as there is a site I sometimes have to work on down there but this route takes a completely different route (mainly as it skirts just east of TD)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5