I learnt a lesson about ice today...

Bikequin
Bikequin Posts: 402
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
Its pretty slippery!!

Had a pretty masty off coming up the outside of Hyde Park this morning - entirely my fault and I think I've learnt my lesson.#

The problem is that in coming off I've managed to snap off the plastic release on the ratchet at the top of my cycling shoes. My question is - is it possible to replace the clip/ratchet or do I need to get myself a new pair of shoes?
You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quin.

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Try and find the makers customer care line they are occasionally very helpful
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    you've only just learnt that ice is slippery?

did you have a particularly sheltered childhood? :)
  • flamite
    flamite Posts: 269
    always worth contacting the company,

i emailed ortleib after my strap was cut off me by emergency services and they sent me a new one for free!
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Jake learned that lesson last night, out on the MTB and came skidding off. sprained wrist and road rash.

The first I knew about it was a call from work from the South area control asking 'Does this one belong to you' :lol:

10 minutes later, one boyfriend and one bike brought home in an ambulance. :roll:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    An ambulance? For road rash? That's practically a hoax call!
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    I learnt that lesson as a kid - cycling on Dartmoor after a cold night - ice everywhere had melted and i felt pretty confident it had all gone. then went down a little lane that had remained in shadow the whole day. Didn;t notice the thick sheet of ice till it was too late. applied brakes but didn;t stop. ended up going down that hill on my right side - skin off all down my arm and leg. bike was ok though and i managed to cycle home.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    biondino wrote:
    An ambulance? For road rash? That's practically a hoax call!

road rash with a sprained wrist and neck pain. Also the ambulance wasn't actually called. he fell outside the Dartmouth ambulance station and ended up in the station shrubbery! :lol:

I on the other hand learned that this weather is ideal for doing all that bike related maintence that I hadn't been able to do.

I have however still slid on ice a few times. :shock:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Bikequin wrote:
    The problem is that in coming off I've managed to snap off the plastic release on the ratchet at the top of my cycling shoes. My question is - is it possible to replace the clip/ratchet or do I need to get myself a new pair of shoes?

Which shoes are they?

Remember a guy in CycleSurgery telling me that you could only replace ratchets on "high-end shoes, like sidis". Despite the fact I was after ratchets for a set of £150 Specialized Shoes!

After pointing out they unscrewed and everything, and there was no reason why they shouldn't be easily replaceable, I got him to get on the line with Specialized UK, and got some ordered :)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    You used to be able to buy Sidi ratchets - which was handy cos they had a habit of unscrewing. More hassle than they were worth ! Much better off with velcro - less to go wrong.
  • Bikequin
    Bikequin Posts: 402
    Thanks for the advice; I rang evans earlier and they said that if I bring the shoes in over the weekend they should be able to have a look at exactly whats required and order a replacement.
    You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quin.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I was going to take the SPD's off but have since found that SPD actually help me control the bike, once you get used to the slipping and sliding also dropping the PSI to the lowest your tyres can handle 45 in my case made a huge difference to grip.

oh and go much slower much much much, unclipping on very steep descents and being ready to jump off - oh what fun winter riding is :D
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • 0scar
    0scar Posts: 219
    Today I discovered the merits of circuitous detours along busy roads rather than nippy shortcuts down frozen side roads. The short cut only saves time if you arn't walking alongside the bike..
    Commuter: Taped-up black Trek 2200 (FCN 5)
    Shiny bike: Pinarello FP2 (FCN 3)
  • 0scar wrote:
    Today I discovered the merits of circuitous detours along busy roads rather than nippy shortcuts down frozen side roads. The short cut only saves time if you arn't walking alongside the bike..

He he, that's so true. It's not often cyclists have a reason to be grateful for traffic.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,420
    itboffin wrote:
    I was going to take the SPD's off but have since found that SPD actually help me control the bike, once you get used to the slipping and sliding also dropping the PSI to the lowest your tyres can handle 45 in my case made a huge difference to grip.

oh and go much slower much much much, unclipping on very steep descents and being ready to jump off - oh what fun winter riding is :D

Absolutely, I feel totally unsafe on flat pedals. I've ridden with SPDs for so long now, and am so used to being able to pull up as well as push down, that the odd time I do ride flats (when borrowing someone else's bike, or riding my Dahon folder) I have to really concentrate on not lifting my feet off the pedals as they come back round.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Tyres back up to 60psi and spd still on, perfect for deep snow it seems
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.