Frozen Britain

prawny
prawny Posts: 5,440
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
Saw this on the BBC news site, awww pretty.

Sorry it's a big pic though

_47061196_greatbritainjpg.jpg
Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017

Comments

• amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    proof that global warming is a lie 8)
  • amnezia wrote:

Let's not confuse the weather with climate. :)
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    amnezia wrote:

Yes the weather is what we get from day to day, climate is what we get over a 30 year period (the news explained it last night).
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Ireland looks green. Probably been raining there :P
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Ireland has more outdoor heaters since the smoking ban has been in force longer.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    _Brun_ wrote:
    Ireland has more outdoor heaters since the smoking ban has been in force longer.
    I wonder what the Aga per capita is for Ireland.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    amnezia wrote:

Global warming will actually make us colder in winter, as the gulf stream ceases. That means the warmer currents will miss us out, leading to more of what we are currently enjoying. Possibly warmer and drier in summer as the conveyer belt of low pressure systems slows down.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    amnezia wrote:

Global warming will actually make us colder in winter, as the gulf stream ceases. That means the warmer currents will miss us out, leading to more of what we are currently enjoying. Possibly warmer and drier in summer as the conveyer belt of low pressure systems slows down.

Ace!

Fire up the 80's range rovers!
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    prawny wrote:
    Saw this on the BBC news site, awww pretty.

Sorry it's a big pic though

_47061196_greatbritainjpg.jpg

I can see my house from there!

I've seen that picture before though, it was in 'Day after tomorrow'.

It's a fake!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    [quote="Wallace1492")Global warming will actually make us colder in winter, as the gulf stream ceases. [/quote]

You mean if the gulf stream happens to be moved a bit further south, which is one theory and based on a prediction based on a (probably) badly modelled version of what we think the system is really like. It might happen, it might not. That's what makes this climate change stuff so much fun.
  • Wallace1492
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    [quote="Wallace1492")Global warming will actually make us colder in winter, as the gulf stream ceases.

You mean if the gulf stream happens to be moved a bit further south, which is one theory and based on a prediction based on a (probably) badly modelled version of what we think the system is really like. It might happen, it might not. That's what makes this climate change stuff so much fun.[/quote]

Could move south or cease altogether. Either case would not be great news for us, well not for warmer winters!

It is likely to have happened before, hence last ice age. Proabably a cyclical event, humans may not effect it at all, but who knows.

Some sort of super volcano eruption will put all the muck we have been spewing out for 1000's of years to shame. Doesn't mean we should just keep polluting though....
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    edited January 2010
    amnezia wrote:

That's why the full title is

"Climate Change (but also Staying The Same)*
    *Now with added tax!"
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Some sort of super volcano eruption will put all the muck we have been spewing out for 1000's of years to shame. Doesn't mean we should just keep polluting though....

Just read Superfreakonomics. Some interesting stuff in there.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Aren't Bill and Ted due to come back from the future, play THAT song and unify the Universe with their 'nardly-tubular-awesome' music.

Pepsi Max dude!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    I can't see my house, but I think i can see the park I live by :D
  • Eau Rouge
    Some sort of super volcano eruption will put all the muck we have been spewing out for 1000's of years to shame. Doesn't mean we should just keep polluting though....

Speaking strictly in terms of CO2 emmisions, why not?
    I'm ill informed, but I haven't seen anyone seriously saying that stopping human CO2 emmisions would actually prevent "global warming". It would apparantly "save the planet" but that seems to be nothing more than a hollow marketing slogan, there is nothing behind it.

So if global warming is going to happen anyway wouldn't we be much better off planning for and dealing with the effects of that warming rather than worrying about making our lives arbitrarily harder as a some sort of guilt-motivated penance that can't and won't actually achieve anything?

Is it just me or has "global warming" long been hijacked by those who's real goal is to drag everyone back to the pre-Regency era by any means possible?
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    edited January 2010
    Eau Rouge wrote:

Is it just me or has "global warming" long been hijacked by those who's real goal is to drag everyone back to the pre-Regency era by any means possible?

"Global warming" is the new religion
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    I'm ill informed

:D
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    Aren't Bill and Ted due to come back from the future, play THAT song and unify the Universe with their 'nardly-tubular-awesome' music.

Pepsi Max dude!

God gave rock and roll to you, gave rock and roll to you... :D

Brilliant film!
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Wallace1492
    Sewinman wrote:
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    I'm ill informed

But your vote counts the same as Jordan, Stephen Hawking, Richard Branston, Fred Goodwin, Sam Fox and Nick Griffin.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Sewinman wrote:
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    I'm ill informed

Yeah, get well soon.
  • Eau Rouge
    I don't follow the climate debate all that closely, hence saying I'm ill informed on it, so I was hoping someone might be able to inform me that there is real evidence that stopping human CO2 emmisions would prevent global warming happening, thus making efforts to reduce how much CO2 we produce be of actual real benefit. I don't seem to have ever seen anything like that.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    So if global warming is going to happen anyway wouldn't we be much better off planning for and dealing with the effects of that warming ...
    If it's going to happen anyway, then yes... but we don't know that, and if we wait until we know for sure then it may be "too late".

It's been hijacked by all sorts of folks... :-(

Concensus is a dangerous word when it comes to science- Not long ago the world was flat and positioned at the centre of a small, young universe... However, it seems quite likely that human actions have contributed to a significant climate change that will probably have unpleasant consequences for many people. Given that some reasonably painless action now could mitigate the effects that seem to be occurring and hopefully prevent the rest of the world from repeating our mistakes (and making the situation dramatically worse), it seems like a sensible insurance policy to tackle the issue now, even if it does turn out to have been pointless later.

Cheers,
    W.
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    Snowy Britain is so beautiful <3<3<3

Just bought some silver snow boots from ASDA, had fun rolling around in the fresh snow on Wednesday, and my road isn't too treacherous so I managed work the past two days (but still don't fancy the ride to work as the sides of the roads are full of varying levels of slush and ice).

LOVE snow. Reminds me of my early childhood.
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • Wallace1492
    Really cold up here, but good old Health and Safety has scuppered plans to have the first curling Grand match in over 30 years. Probably no chance it will ever be held again.
    Allegedly they cannot guarantee safety of 2,000 people throwing large granite stones about on a frozen Loch (Lake) and the safety of the thousands of spectators.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/tayside_and_central/8448669.stm
  • Really cold up here, but good old Health and Safety has scuppered plans to have the first curling Grand match in over 30 years. Probably no chance it will ever be held again.
    Allegedly they cannot guarantee safety of 2,000 people throwing large granite stones about on a frozen Loch (Lake) and the safety of the thousands of spectators.

Hang on, you said global warming will make us colder, so it's more likely it'll be held in the future. ;)
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    amnezia wrote:

I think the fact that you seem to think the UK = the globe says all it needs to about that kind of attitude :)
  • Wallace1492
    Really cold up here, but good old Health and Safety has scuppered plans to have the first curling Grand match in over 30 years. Probably no chance it will ever be held again.

Hang on, you said global warming will make us colder, so it's more likely it'll be held in the future. ;)

Yes, yes, but I meant that if H&S scupper it now, the they will never sanction it in the future. The Loch could be frozen solid, but H&S will say it is too slippy. Or too cold. The players might need patio heaters.... changing facilities and toilets...
  • Eau Rouge
    Concensus is a dangerous word when it comes to science- Not long ago the world was flat and positioned at the centre of a small, young universe... However, it seems quite likely that human actions have contributed to a significant climate change that will probably have unpleasant consequences for many people. Given that some reasonably painless action now could mitigate the effects that seem to be occurring and hopefully prevent the rest of the world from repeating our mistakes (and making the situation dramatically worse), it seems like a sensible insurance policy to tackle the issue now, even if it does turn out to have been pointless later.

Painless? We don't have viable alternatives to burning fossil fuels, and burning fossil fuels is what causes CO2 emmisions. Less cooling/heating, less electricty use and less travel for ourselves and the goods we import/export are not "painless" but really quite fundamental changes, unless you were around during the Napolionic wars of course.

mitigate the effects? Melting ice in Greenland and Antartica raising sea levels is the main forseable problem, isn't it? Expaning deserts aren't great either, but not that huge a problem.
    The British Isles reverting to the same climate everyone else at 50+ deg North has is not a reason to stop global warming.
    The crux of my problem with the whole thing is exactly that it seems the ice will melt anyway, even if we stopped all human CO2 emiisions next year (unless someone can show me otherwise?)
    If the ice melts, the fact we all stopped flying or used energy effecient light bulbs won't matter. If the ice melts anyway, anything we do to stop global warming will have been a waste of valuable time and money. I'd rather not take the pain if it's not actually going to achieve anything.

The rest of the world repeating our mistakes is less of a concern. For one, there is only so much fossil fuels available to burn. The solution to that is therefore the same as to us burning those fuels, finding real, viable, alternatives. That should be the sensible insurance policy, but it seems it's not even on the agenda while everyone worries about carbon footprints instead.