Winge-ins vs the Comic

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited January 2010 in Pro race
I really think the Sky guys need to tame Bradleeee's inner chimp. Anyone been keeping up with his row with Cycling Weekly on Twitter?

Last night was great.

http://twitter.com/bradwiggins/status/7492777830

followed by the excellent retort

http://twitter.com/cyclingweekly/status/7494539495

Back in the days of Fidonet people used to use as their sig "Open Mouth. Insert Foot. Echo Internationally"
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    Perhaps this is this sort of thing he is being taught in his 'media training'. With more practice he may even come to emulate the media-relations skills of his new role model, Mr. Armstrong. :wink:
  • hockinsk
    hockinsk Posts: 100
    Wiggins has a point though. They couldn't possibly have been there could they if they go to press on Wednesday night?
  • iainf72
    hockinsk wrote:
    Wiggins has a point though. They couldn't possibly have been there could they if they go to press on Wednesday night?

I don't think you've read it properly.

Like Cycling Weeklys piece on Down Under team training in Spain with us when they have already left straight from London?? nothing changes

He's referring to the riders for TdU.

And here's the headline from the Sky article CW point out

Team Sky, the British Cycling team, have left the UK for Spain to prepare for this month's Tour Down Under
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    What's Wiggo's beef with CW - he often takes a snip at them via Twitter?

Seems a bit strange, given they dedicate umpteen pages of every issue to repeating how fantastic he is. In the last 18 months or so, CW (and CSport) have almost morphed into Wiggins/Garmin fanzines.
  • hockinsk
    Exactly, either way, Cycling Weekly were not in Spain training with Team Sky if they go to press on Wednesday. Proven by the fact those in Valencia are not riding TDU but CW saying otherwise.
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    hockinsk wrote:
    Exactly, either way, Cycling Weekly were not in Spain training with Team Sky if they go to press on Wednesday. Proven by the fact those in Valencia are not riding TDU but CW saying otherwise.

EH? The Comic are not saying they are training in Spain with Team Sky!
    They are saying the TDU Team have gone with the rest of Team Sky to Spain before going to Oz.
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    The finer points of whether the TdU riders were in Spain or not is not a story in itself, is it? The most interesting bit of this debate is why Wiggo saw fit to make a point of it and take a swipe at CW. Perhaps they aren't blowing quite as much smoke up his @ss as he'd like?
  • iainf72
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... t-off.html

Even that is quite positive - But it's becoming clear they're not even vaugely interested in addressing criticism.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Does seem a bit silly to pee off the only weekly cycling mag.

I blame Twitter - its too easy to publish something to the World.
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    Maybe it's friendly banter.
  • iainf72
    Percy Vera wrote:

It's not.
  • maybe he just dislikes the fact that they let Dave H*nde advertise in the mag?
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    If he's going to be a media darling he needs to work on his communication skills.

I didn't understand what he was on about through his poor english. I only understood when I read this thread
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Percy Vera wrote:

That's the way I saw it.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Wiggins will have gained a few more fans saying Saint Lance is his role model...NOT !!

If Wiggo doesnt like the press or answering questions with a few sarcastic comments why doesnt he just sit at the back of the bunch and finish in 142nd place every other day the press will soon leave him alone.

It Pi**es me off when you hear these sportsmen,filmstars dont like the spotlight...well am
    sorry you knew what you were getting into and the territory which goes with it.

Maybe wiggins could ask his new Buddy Saint lance for tips on how to Diss his teamates off and rubbish anyone better than him i.e. Contador - waiting on MorayGub
    reading this and jumping to the defence of the Texan Messiah.
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    I think Wiggins was referring to this tweet from cyclingweekly:

http://twitter.com/cyclingweekly/status/7473505450

which does suggest they're flying to Spain to prepare for the TdU (though the article linked doesn't say that).
  • hockinsk
    He's referring to Yesterdays publication in the magazine I thought. Nothing to do with anything online other than that's where he commented on it I thought. Who knows?
  • iainf72
    hockinsk wrote:
    He's referring to Yesterdays publication in the magazine I thought. Nothing to do with anything online other than that's where he commented on it I thought. Who knows?

Lets turn that around : How could he have seen it in Spain then? :P

The fact remains his employers made the same mistake but he's not taking a pop at them.
  • hockinsk
    I haven't asked him? There have been plenty of flights to Spain since the team got there! Maybe his missus came over on Thursday. Maybe Brailsford, maybe any of the 50 Team Sky staff or even a team member? It's only a few hours flight, it's hardly Mars : )
  • iainf72
    Yes, but it not to do with the physical magazine. Note his smarmy comment when CW said Swift was going to Katusha.

So the question remains, what's the beef?
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 494
    Flights to Spain aren't the issue, BW is just hovering over CW's (and staff's) output looking for opportunities to have a go.

Not sure what he expects, CW are not Team Sky's media agency.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Wiggins will have gained a few more fans saying Saint Lance is his role model...NOT !!

If Wiggo doesnt like the press or answering questions with a few sarcastic comments why doesnt he just sit at the back of the bunch and finish in 142nd place every other day the press will soon leave him alone.

It Pi**es me off when you hear these sportsmen,filmstars dont like the spotlight...well am
    sorry you knew what you were getting into and the territory which goes with it.

Maybe wiggins could ask his new Buddy Saint lance for tips on how to Diss his teamates off and rubbish anyone better than him i.e. Contador - waiting on MorayGub
    reading this and jumping to the defence of the Texan Messiah.

I didnt realise i got to you so much.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    CW is sh*te though... :lol: So much, for so little...
  • Moomaloid wrote:
    CW is sh*te though... :lol: So much, for so little...
    +1

Bought it religiously for a while but now if there's a copy in Tescos I'll pick it up while the missus is surveying the cheese (and no that's not a euphemism :roll: ) and have a flick, ho hum and then not buy it. Last week's was made up of a) Adverts b) A calendar c) not much else.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    I expect there'll be a whole wall already prepared on the Team Sky bus for photos of annoying journalists.
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    Pah they deserve each other CW is sh*t and Wiggins has always been a complete d*ck.
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    I get wiggo's twitters and he doesn't communicate with professionalism or grace. He seems to get sarcy and emotional and comes across, as eh says, like a bit of a d*ck.
  • I've stopped receiving them, he just seems to be far to smug recently. Anyway, he's admitted that there's going to be a lot of BS in the future so why bother be treated like a fool?
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    If we didn't have The Comic every week, we'd all moan about the lack of a weekly, British publication.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    AndyRubio wrote:
    I get wiggo's twitters and he doesn't communicate with professionalism or grace. He seems to get sarcy and emotional and comes across, as eh says, like a bit of a d*ck.

You see I like that in a sportsman - using F1 as an example, I don't want the corporate drones like Lewis Hamilton, who occasionally, in rare unguarded moments, seems as though he's a decent bloke. I want loose cannons like Kimi Raikkonen.

Sport needs people who speak their mind - good or bad.
    Twitter: @RichN95