Moobs

Foll Zofalot
Foll Zofalot Posts: 204
edited January 2010 in Health, fitness & training
What's the best excercise for getting rid of ones manboobs and maybe build up my biceps/triceps too. I'm thinking press ups?, I do suffer a little from lower back pain so don't want to go too mad.

Cheers :)

Comments

• anything that = weightloss.
  • Lost 7 stone about 10 years ago, still got some flabby bits I can't seem to shift :(
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Press ups and dips will work best.

Try and do press up variations (wide arm, narrow arm, elevated legs, etc) to make them more interesting and target different muscles. Dips require sturdy bars to do properly but you can do half dips of almost anything (e.g. a sofa)
  • Wii fit lol its fun and it works!! I lost 2lbs this week playing wii fit 8)
    80 x 80 is not enough pixels!!!!

http://www.monzaautomotive.com/

My bikes and a few riding pics http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12673633
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,862
    The problem for me is I am sh1te at press ups, can manage 20 at a time up to a max of circa 50. Must practice though - I will get to a 100 one day (perhaps over a full day)!
  • Bit of a misconception above. Your 'moobs' are fat which is sitting on your chest area. So you need to burn fat generally and they will reduce as your bofyfat percentage reduces. When having my bf% monitored when 'cutting' I noticed my tricep measurements were quite high compared to other areas. I was advised to do more leg exercises, as these are bigger muscles and will burn more fat when exercised.

So if it was me, I'd eat a bit better, cut out the beer and cycle more. I'm sure you'll see the moobs dissapear relatively quickly.
  • As above, gaining muscle won't really compensate for weight loss. But it's not going to do you any harm either, and that time doing press-ups is certainly beneficial over using that same time to watch TV, or fry and egg...

If you think of doing a bench press with a barbell, on a flat bench you will work your lower-mid chest, and an inclined bech will work your upper chest. Wide arms, outer chest (the bit that kinda plugs into your arm and shoulder), and shallow arms, inner chest. You can easilly replicate that with pressups, so you just need to take a look and have a think about what you need most. Don't expect huge muscle mass to appear, because it won't, but it will tone and firm your muscles up.

Personally, I'd think about something like swimming too.
  • asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333
    Like has been mentioned before, it's just an area where fat tends to be stored - so you're going to have to look to lose weight to try and get rid of them. You won't be able to exercise them away.

Hormones can have an affect on this as well - if you aren't already doing so, really cleaning up your diet could maybe have a positive effect on this. Healthy fats (from fish oils, olive oil, walnuts, almonds.etc) help to promote good hormone balance. Do you eat a lot of meat or take a multi-vitamin/mineral? Zinc is a great anti-aromatase, and almost everyone is deficient in zinc. Don't turn to supplements until you've really given the fatloss a go though.
  • I'll second the vitamins comment too. Supermarkets sell cheap vitamins, and they're certainly worth taking. A multi-vitamin and some omega 3-6-9 will cover the basics.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    The doses in vitamin tablets are into the 1000's% above your recommended daily allowance.

Thankfully, they're pretty much completely excreted in your turd, so won't do any harm other than to your wallet.

Eat a healty and balanced diet with plenty of fruit and vegetables and you should have no problem picking up all the vitamins and minerals a growing boy needs.

As for the moobs - just do a quick look-see on t'internet for a condition called gynaecomastia - that's medical manboobs rather than just being a bit chubby up top, and can be treated medically (these are boobs that develop regardless of being overweight, and can afflict very skinny men too)

Assuming yours don't fit that pattern, then there's nothing a good diet and a bit of exercise shouldn't help.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • chris_sw
    chris_sw Posts: 100
    Just to reiterate, you can't choose to loose fat from specific areas of your body with targeted exercises (e.g. press ups to loose upper body fat). You just need to do fat burning exercises generally and it should come off.

There's plenty of information on the internet, but my limited knowledge says cardio exercises are going to be better at burning fat than things like weights. Don't forget to eat healthy too!