Tinitus? write loudly please

bluechair84
bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
edited January 2010 in Health, fitness & training
a few weeks before Xmas I became concious of something that I guess I've previously always ignored; a constant ringing in my ears. For an idea of it's volume, I drive an 12 year old primera and I have to be driving about 55mph on the motorway to drown it out. TV has to be very very loud before I don't hear it but it currently doesn't bother me too much.
I'll head to the docs in a few weeks but I hoped that someone might be able to pass on some experience.

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    I've got it low level probably due to not wearing hearing protection at work in my youth. Your post prompted me to google and i found this.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • I have ringing at 15.625 kHz (625/50 scan rate) which at this frequency, nothing short of a Motorhead gig will drown it out.
    At first, there were days when it got to be extremely annoying/irritating, resulting in much gnashing of teeth & short temper - the best way I found of dealing with it was just to keep myself busy - if your mind is occupied/intent on other things you're less likely to notice it; or at least dwell on it.
    After having spoken to other sufferers the general consensus was: yes it's a pain but eventually you will get used to it (& I have - it's always there and always will be but it rarely bothers me anymore).
    Hope this helps.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    yeah, it's strange as I'm sure I've had it for years but just assumed it was normal and I never paid attention to it, then I got to questioning it... Now I can hear it all the time. But your right, I am able to just forget about it most of the time.

Slept with some music on a few weeks back and it was the best nights sleep i've had in as long as I can remember :o Will be doing that more in future.
    Thanks