Your top 3 tips that motivate you to ride to work please

2»

Comments

• Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    I have a spreadsheet that calculates how much i save when i commute by bike. I can then justifiably spend the cumulative amount at the end of each month on bike gear. Overall i am not saving money but I am spending the money on things I then own, rather than to Southern trains.
  • Started off a year ago with a C2W scheme bike as I felt a bit guilty about not using it for work (really just wanted to get back into MTB'ing after a long break!)
    First 6 months averaged about 3 times a week, the excuse being I needed to use the car on the other days to bring in changes of clothes, towels etc, but then something just took over and I started every day, now when I use the car I feel (mentally and physically) worse. I've got a quite stressful job and the riding really helps me prepare for the day and unwind afterwards.
    A thing I like to do after getting home is relaxing and going through the ride in my mind, gives me a warm sense of achievement.
    Other benefits, lost two stone in weight and counting, and saved lots of money. I've got an Alfa and have a savings account called the 'Alfa Fund' where a monthly DD gets transferred (if you have/had one you'd understand) and now I'm able to syphon off large chunks of this for bike stuff :D
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Getting fit.
    Saving time.
    Saving cash.
  • For me, the simplest way of putting it is this: If I drive, or take public transport to work, that time is lumped in with work time. If I cycle, the time is mine.

Oh, and SCR helps too ;)
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    CiB wrote:
    7) Miles on the Stats board. That's the clincher these days; not tumbling down the Stats table, although it's happening now as cycling 20+ miles in this weather is a non-starter. Sign up to it - link below.

I was going to say the same thing. Being in the Top 5 was my motivation this week.

Being number 1 will be my motivation next week.

come on Chris - you're way behind :P

:wink:
  • 1 - £11 a day by public transport
    2 - Getting to sit down
    3 - Knowing that it will take me the same time every day.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Porgy wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    7) Miles on the Stats board. That's the clincher these days; not tumbling down the Stats table, although it's happening now as cycling 20+ miles in this weather is a non-starter. Sign up to it - link below.

I was going to say the same thing. Being in the Top 5 was my motivation this week.

Being number 1 will be my motivation next week.

come on Chris - you're way behind :P

:wink:
    Porgy - I am trying. Been unable to get out on the roads until today though; even yesterday our main roads were sheet ice & the side roads have been 3 inches of packed snow & ice, which is no good on a road bike. It was good to get back on this afternoon for a 20 odd mile bimble. As a bonus, a mate cajoled me into going out on his MBs in the woods on the way back; it was the biggest pile of fun bouncing between the trees, & finding a way back before dark. What a hoot. After years of dissing these off-road fellahs, I might have to change my view. It's Land Rover Series II v <insert your performance car of choice here> territory. Brill - an excuse to buy another bike.
  • trains are sh*t
    trains are sh*t
    trains are sh*t
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,208
    davbay wrote:
    What's your top 3 tips to help you keep riding?
    1. The feel good factor/buzz I get after riding
    2. Fitness and that makes me feel good as well
    3. I just enjoy riding a bike and can't get enough time on my MTB to keep from going cold turkey !

If I can enjoy riding on a London commute then the Cheshire coutryside must be heaven :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • 1. Diesel 1.11 per litre
    2. Diesel 1,11 per litre

and er............

3. Diesel 1.11 per litre

75% of which goes to this sorry excuse for a govt.