Gary Fisher Sugar 1

OliverHerdsman
OliverHerdsman Posts: 18
edited January 2010 in Your mountain bikes
DSC02791.jpg

This bike is made up of donated and cheap parts bought in sales..I'm totally broke and is it's the best I can afford. Rides suprisingly nice...though I do plan on using the parts I can with a new HT frame when I have saved enough pennies - perhaps an on one scandal. F*#k, might even treat myself to a rear brake sometime!!

Frame: Gary Fisher Sugar 1
Forks: Rock Shox Tora Race - Solo Air
Bars: Easton EA30 1” rise
Stem: Bontrager Select
Headset: FSA Orbit XL
Grips: GT

Front Brake Lever assy: Shimano SLX
Front Caliper: Shimano SLX
Front disc: Ashima 160mm
Hoses: Shimano

Shifters: SRAM x.7 / Shimano Deore LX
Cables: SRAM / Shimano
Front Mech: Shimano Deore LX
Rear Mech: SRAM x.7

Seat: Specialized something
Seat Post: Tioga

Cranks: Shimano XT
Chain: SRAM ??
Cassette: SRAM PG950
Pedals: Shimano M540
Bottom Bracket: HT II

Front Wheel:
Rim: Superstar Vapour
Spokes: DT Swiss
Hub: Superstar Superleggera
Tube: Continental
Tire: Maxxis Aspen

Back Wheel:
Rim: Superstar Vapour
Spokes: DT Swiss
Hub: Superstar Superleggera
Tube: Continental
Tire: Maxxis Aspen

Weight: A lot

I do realise how excessively long the steerer tube still is.

Mock at will...

Comments

• You seem to be using an invisible crud catcher on the rear :wink:

I like it, what year is the frame?

And it can't weigh that much, there's some quality kit on there.

Oh, and what are the wheels like? They're supposed to be WELL strong.
  • haha yeah!

Going by the Gary Fisher bike archive it's 2002 - someone gave it to me, one careful lady owner who used it for one race season in 2003 and then hung it up.

I guess it's not that heavy, I'd be interested to know exactly how much it does weigh...the wheels and the forks do contribute quite a lot though.

Yeah the wheels do seem pretty solid, I've only been riding them a few weeks so can't vouch for their long term performance but so far so good. The Superleggera rear hub is SO loud and kind of annoying now.

Going to obviously get a rear SLX brake and then swap the shifters for X.0 gripshifts 'cos I have totally retarded thumbs. Also really wish I'd forked out for an x.9 rear mech because the x.7 one seems to be significantly lower quality.

Thanks!
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    I quite like it too, something about that colour and the frame simplicity...

To get a basic ideo of the weight you could try the bathroom scales trick.
  • Aye, those wheels are pretty heavy, but it depends what your riding style is like. I'd break lightweight XC wheels in no time with my riding.

Honestly, I'd not change anything (other than buying a rear brake) until it brakes because that is a pretty good spec. I had an X7 mech on my DH bike and it was ok. Much stiffer than similar Shimano offerings.

If you're looking to lower the weight on a budget, you could save up for a little bit and get some Mavic Crossrides and some Racing Ralph or Nobby Nic tyres. That's where you'd feel the biggest difference imho.
  • no bathroom scales at the moment -might get some especially.

Yeah I could...but the tires are about 695g each so I think I'd only save 300g with the racing ralphs and these Aspens seem really safe whatever they're on. I guess every gram does count on wheels and tires so it's something to think about when they need replacing.
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    pretty nice. great colour
  • Nice, although stick a back brake on their sharpish in order to avoid any over the bar moments.
  • I've become suprisingly skilled at avoiding braking and being very sparing with the front brake, but yes, I'm just asking for trouble. Anyone spare £71.99?
  • leon69
    leon69 Posts: 53

Mock at will...

Nice bike dude dont down your self :wink: I know a couple of poeple that had the " Sugar" back in there day no one ever complained :wink:
    If you dont bleed your not trying ...