PTP 2010 Calendar tweaks

afx237vi
afx237vi Posts: 12,630
edited January 2010 in Pro race
This is what I've come up with for this year.
Feb    27 - Omloop Het Nieuwsblad

Mar     6 - Monte Pasche Eroica <- IN OR OUT?
     7-14 - Paris-Nice
    10-16 - Tirreno-Adriatico
       20 - Milan-San Remo
       28 - Gent-Wevelgem
    27-28 - Criterium International <- E3 PRIJS?

Apr     4 - Tour of Flanders
     5-10 - Tour of the Basque Country <- Scheldeprijs
       11 - Paris-Roubaix
       18 - Amstel Gold Race
       21 - La Fleche Wallone
       25 - Liege-Bastogne-Liege
     27-2 - Tour de Romandie

May  8-30 - Giro d'Italia
    16-23 - Tour of California <- OUT?

Jun  6-13 - Dauphine Libere
    12-20 - Tour de Suisse

Jul  3-25 - Tour de France
       31 - Clasica San Sebastian

Aug   1-7 - Tour of Poland
       15 - Vattenfall Cyclassics
    17-24 - Eneco Tour
    28-19 - Vuelta a Espana

Sep    29 - Worlds ITT (Women)
       30 - Worlds ITT (Men)

Oct     2 - Worlds RR (Women)
        3 - Worlds RR (Men)
       10 - Paris-Tours
       17 - Giro di Lombardia

Roughly the same as last year, although some races have changed date. Main issues:

- Gent-Wevelgem has moved to a Saturday, so I suggest we ditch the Crit Int and have a Gent/E3 double header instead.

- Tour of Cali... yeah I know it's a big race, but up against the Giro?

- Eroica - Dunno about anyone else, but I was kinda disappointed by the start list last year. Too many tiny Italian teams. Only 6 people out of 67 scored any PTP points.

- Scheldeprijs... I guess it would round out the classics campaign, but it clashed with Pais Vasco. We could do both if people really really want to.

Opinions please.

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Personally, I'd have Eroica in (and the other one-dayers you mentioned). It's good to have quite a few races early on to get the ball rolling.

I'd also bin California. I personally don't like it when there's two stage race picks to make on a single day, and this is what, eight days?, and that'sbefore you bring the whole time-zone factor into play. (Besides it's just going to be the Tour of CavLevi-fornia this year)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Keep Eroica.

Might I suggest GP Quebec or Montreal - I know they're newly created but they should get a reasonable field - And it's nice to have a bit of a wild card event, just for giggles.

Also, if someone has the initials IF can they score double points for every top 3 place they get? Thank you please.

Wot about using Googlewave for the scoring?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,869
    iainf72 wrote:

Wot about using Googlewave for the scoring?

good idea
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    afx237vi wrote:
    This is what I've come up with for this year.:

- Gent-Wevelgem has moved to a Saturday, so I suggest we ditch the Crit Int and have a Gent/E3 double header instead.

yes
    - Tour of Cali... yeah I know it's a big race, but up against the Giro?

yes
    - Eroica - Dunno about anyone else, but I was kinda disappointed by the start list last year. Too many tiny Italian teams. Only 6 people out of 67 scored any PTP points.

doesn't clash give it a chance
    - Scheldeprijs... I guess it would round out the classics campaign, but it clashed with Pais Vasco. We could do both if people really really want to.

prefer no clashes myself
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Would also keep Eroica, think field should be stronger this year. Also like the Montral/Quebec sugestions - big hill in the Montreal circuit so should make for an interesting race. Would do both Scheldeprisj and Pais Vasco. Defo dump California for me.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    No Cali
    Keep eroica and prisj. Us PTP hardmen need all the points we can get

Strava is not Zen.
  • afx237vi
    OK, Eroica gets another year.

California and Crit Int are out, E3 Prijs and Scheldeprijs are in.

I didn't think about the Canadian races, but I no problem with those, even though they do clash with the Vuelta. But they're both one dayers, so not really a big clash.

Anyone want to explain Google Wave to me? I read the Wiki entry but I'm none the wiser :oops:
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,479
    I'd concur with the other views already expressed, keep Eroica in, add the E3 Prijs (any race named after a motorway needs recognition) and lose ToC and the Criterium International.

I'm ambivalent on the Canadian races, as I've no idea what the fields will be like.
  • mididoctors
    afx237vi wrote:

Anyone want to explain Google Wave to me? I read the Wiki entry but I'm none the wiser :oops:

everyone piles onboard a single post they can all edit

plus you can embed the spreadsheets

think of it as forum code on steroids
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    afx237vi wrote:

PM me your email address and I'll send you an invite.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • afx237vi
    iainf72 wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

PM me your email address and I'll send you an invite.

Much obliged.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Is there a thread somewhere that explains how PTP works? And how to get "in"?

Would like to play along this year and have the general gist of it. Just need the specifics and who to ask for entry into the inner circle!
  • afx237vi
    Pokerface wrote:
    Is there a thread somewhere that explains how PTP works? And how to get "in"?

Would like to play along this year and have the general gist of it. Just need the specifics and who to ask for entry into the inner circle!

Last year's sticky thread:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 37&start=0

You don't have to join anything, you can just play on the forum. It's a prediction game rather than the team-management games you see elsewhere. Basically, you just pick who you think will win certain races and get points depending on where they finish. For stage races you pick an overall rider, plus daily stage-winners.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Excellent - thanks for the info.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    As always... i trust in the AFX!
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    I agree with the stronger one-day classic focus between Tirreno and Romandie. Wouldn't be against ditching Pais Vasco instead of Scheldeprijs if that period becomes too busy.

The Canadian races might get a completely watered down field, with nyot only the Vuelta, but also Lazio, Paris-Brussels and Tour of Britain at the same time. But then, they're worth a try I think - if it doesn't work ditch them the year after. And it would be logical to do both.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Not sure about the Quebec races. Would keep a watching brief this year. Would like to see Paris Brussels included though.

Would like to give Eroica another shot too.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    Paris Brussels would get my vote as wel, instead of Canadian pair.

What about Tour of Britain as well?

Eneco, Vuelta, Paris-Brussels and Tour of Britain would add a bit of end of season PTP mayhem and excitement 8)
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    Seems like a reasonably even spread of events over the year. Roll on 27 Feb

We could always just go for the GC pick on the ToB to avoid too much duplication of effort.

I would go with the Quebec race only if it fills a vacant slot, otherwise it is going to get lost in the noise.

How about each of us having a joker to play for double points...all right then, how about double points for Rabobank wins...

Happy 2010 all.
    Half man, Half bike
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    Moomaloid wrote:
    As always... i trust in the AFX!

+1 :D
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman