Clipless or flat?

Matt N
Matt N Posts: 160
edited August 2010 in MTB general
Considering getting spds and was wondering how many people use them.
i ride xc and a few trails and was wondering what peoples opinion on them is,
Thanks
Matt
If calsberg made bikes... they'd probably be the best bikes in the world

’My Spesh’

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Have a look at the thread in the XC section, and any of the dozens of others (try a forum search)
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    Aye, it's a never ending argument and there's no right answer, you'll have to try them for yourself to find out.
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Either work fine depending on what you need them for.

Just like HT vs FS
  • I voted that I'd never tried them, but I made the decision that 2010 was the year I made the move and I ordered my shoes at my LBS yesterday.

With the weather the way it is I imagine be a week or so before I can get out on them, even if they do arrive for the weekend. I'll probably switch between them and my DMR V8's depending on what type of riding I do, so it's not like it's a one way street.

I've no doubt there'll be a bit of a learning curve - the fact I ordered a new helmet (Giro Hex) at the same time is pure coincidence, though! :lol:
  • I've used clipless pedals now for 12 years or so. I'd never use anything else. I find they just give more security over the bumpy stuff and you get a more efficient pedal stroke (being able to pull up as well as push down).

The only time I have ever used flats is when riding to work with my work shoes on (and haven't had space in my bag for another pair of shoes).
  • Brindy
    Brindy Posts: 45
    there much better as you have more power, if you are really worried about not being able to unclip but it on the loosest setting then as you get more used to them tighten it.
  • I have been using spd's since 04. Took a while to get used to using them but i would never go back to flats.
  • Surf-Matt
    I can't really see the point of tightening SPDs. I've yet to accidentally slip out of mine and I like the way they always release when I fall off.

I used to have old SPDs in the late 90s and they were PANTS compared to modern day ones - many a minor crash was turned into a massive splat thanks to non unclipping.

Flats have their place - bunnyhops on SPDs are very rarely "proper" bunnyhops unless you've learned on flats. And when SPDs unclip mid bunnyhop (when done wrongly) your nads suffer big time. :oops: :lol:
  • LOL!

What I'm most looking forward to is having an efficient pedal stroke back.

Although I've been mountainbiking since '96, I was a roadie before that and I really did appreciate the toe clips & straps, as it makes a world of difference to the power you can put down.

My one reservation is that I'm kind of used to shifting my weight about on the pedals and dabbing over the rooty stuff... so we'll just need to see how I cope! :D
  • Surf-Matt
    I did an off road tri in May 09 that included a 10 mile XC MTB section - I was 3rd (out of about 50) in the MTB section on flats (MG1s) then won overall and had never bike raced before - so they can't be that inefficient!
  • Maybe you're just that good. ;)
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    My knees didn't get along with them very well (even crank brothers, which have more float) and I never got the confidence to really trust myself to unclip - riding along unclipped because the section looks a bit sketchy isn't good.

My wife recently bought me some 5-10s and the grip is excellent. At times it does feel like you're clipped in, no knee problems yet. Obviously can't pull up like you can with SPDs though.
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    i find it depends on type of riding.

xc and trail centers then deffo spd's

dh,am, all day adventures ect where you have to do a bit of walking up steep banks ect then flats, also flats for icey winter riding.
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    GHill wrote:
    My knees didn't get along with them very well (even crank brothers, which have more float).

i found crank bros pedals to have no float, as soon as you move your foot a mm your unclipped, not like shimanos where you have a pleanty of movment before your out.

also theres no indication on crankbros when your about to unclip your foot just falls off, there a pain on very rough sufaces as your feet keep poping out, on the shimanos you can feel when your about to unclip.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    No, I don't get you can't pull up with flats.

It's technique like everything, you pedal toe down and drag the pedal back.

With my MG1's on the drag back I'm using every bit of power my legs have.

If it were the case that you get more power with clipless then if a group of 10 riders set off for a 2 hour ride half clipless the other flats the clipless would be in front, never seen that.

It is just a preference. :)
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Surf-Matt
    Maybe you're just that good. ;)

Definitely not good/fast downhill so the pedals were definitely okay on the ascents. Kept overtaking on the uphills then losing a place or two on the longer descents.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I've had to say "Had them, won't use again" because if I do, my knee'll burst or my hip'll drop off again. So, I'm stuck with flats, I do miss SPDs sometimes but flats have enough benefits to offset that for me, and most of the drawbacks aren't as big as people think- they tend to have ridearounds. I'm always hearing "You can spin big circles with SPDs" but you can do the exact same on flats if you know what you're doing- and in fact, if you're relying on your SPDs to keep things smooth you'll be less efficient than you would be if you didn't.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Surprised I'm the only one to go for the bottom option. Although I use SPDs for regular XC rides when I go to downhill orientated trails, eg Stainburn and Wharncliffe, flats are definately a better option.
  • Matt N
    Thanks for the advice, i think i'm convinced but keep it coming please :D

Btw, commuting on that kona is hardcore, nice bike though :wink:

The only time I have ever used flats is when riding to work with my work shoes on (and haven't had space in my bag for another pair of shoes).

’My Spesh’
  • Airienteer wrote:
    Surprised I'm the only one to go for the bottom option. Although I use SPDs for regular XC rides when I go to downhill orientated trails, eg Stainburn and Wharncliffe, flats are definately a better option.

I use both too, SPD's for XC all dayers and flats for mucking about and winter. With grippy flats, some of the clippless technique can be carried over.
    My Amp Goes Up to Eleven
    2010 Merlin Malt 1
    2000 KHE Beater
  • Matt N
    Can anyone reccomend some decent shoes then? not too pricey though please

’My Spesh’
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    for flats - most would go for five tens, tho i use shimano am40s they do quite well enough, even if they arent as seriously grippy as the five tens.
  • bobpzero wrote:
    for flats - most would go for five tens, tho i use shimano am40s they do quite well enough, even if they arent as seriously grippy as the five tens.

I actually prefer my am40s. Five tens are OK for freeride and downhill but for longer rides I don't rate them, many disagree though!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I prefer my ancient Vans to my 5 10s ;) The 5 10s have tons more grip but it doesn't matter, as long as the Vans have enough, which they do.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Bert UK
    Bert UK Posts: 62
    SPD's for me. I find that I can control the bike a lot better when clipped in.
  • Northwind wrote:
    I prefer my ancient Vans to my 5 10s ;) The 5 10s have tons more grip but it doesn't matter, as long as the Vans have enough, which they do.

I have a mate who say's the same, love's riding in Vans. I, myself, like flats and using 5 10's. Done me well so far and don't feel the need to convert :D
    I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it
  • loltoride
    loltoride Posts: 460
    I use clipless only mainly for a better pedal stroke, although I will say sometimes I feel I could really do with a flat pedal especially downhill. It is just the stroke I love mainly so much easier to put power down.
    So Far!
  • I'm getting some Simano M520 fitted for when I pick my bike up next week. It will be the first time in about 9 years i've used them. It will be interesting to see how I go on! (probably fall straight off!) :D

I swapped regularly before and have considered getting some Shimano A530's for everyday use.

Has anybody used these? Are they any good?
  • richen
    richen Posts: 156
    spds are fantastic, i have recently changed to Time Atac's and they are really great as well as being a bit easier on my knees. i have been riding them for years and tried flats the other day on my friends bike, really wierd, but as people say try em give them a chance and if you don't like try something else.
    good luck :)