Maufacturers frames

Justinjured
Justinjured Posts: 142
edited January 2010 in MTB general
Dont know if this is a silly question or not, but do manufacturers ever sell just their frames as a single item?
The oldest bit on my bike now is the frame, and it doesnt make sense to buy new bike just to update the frame!

Comments

• RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Yes, all the time. What sort of frame do you want? Hardtail? Full sus? What fork do you have, what size wheels? Different frames take different size seatpost, so you may need to buy a new seatpost as well.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Not all, mind. And sometimes the price for the frame alone makes no sense when you can get a full build for a few hundred more (Giant in particular)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Giant do a frame only option of most of their models as do,Kona.
    Trek and Specialized only seem to offer their high end stuff as frame only.

Frame only options tends to be more of a speciality of the more niche/UK brands such as On One,Orange,Charge,Genesis,Kinesis ,etc.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Northwind
    Giant do a frame only option of most of their models.

Yup, but like I say, the prices are daft. £1000 for a 2010 Anthem X frame vs £1400 for an X4 complete built.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Actually Specialized have all bit given up on frames, and Trek only have a couple now, it's just not a cost effective way to buy a bike any more, and with increasing levels of integration with forks/chainsets etc it's easier to only sell complete bikes.
  • One of the only 'bigger' brands I know who do frames of all their models is Commencal, if you class them as a 'big' brand. Your best bet for a wide selection as previously said is a British make like Orange or On One.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I'd have thought Orange probably sell as many bikes worldwide (certainly in the UK) as Commencal!

Giant sell a full range of frames, as do Scott, both are disproportionately expensive though!
  • Matt N
    Matt N Posts: 160
    If your looking for a frame only, i'd get it from a smaller company like cotic, curtis (jump bikes), rock lobster or just orange
    If calsberg made bikes... they'd probably be the best bikes in the world

’My Spesh’
  • Northwind wrote:
    Giant do a frame only option of most of their models.

Yup, but like I say, the prices are daft. £1000 for a 2010 Anthem X frame vs £1400 for an X4 complete built.

Pauls cycles actually have a 2009 Anthem X3 for £825 at the moment.£175 cheaper than the 2010 frame only deal!

Sell off the spare bits and you get the frame for almost half price.

Only difference is the colour and the fact that the frame only option comes with an RP23.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • loltoride
    loltoride Posts: 460
    Most do but mainly the higher specced models in most cases you will find it cheaper to buy built bike and upgrade parts from there.
    So Far!
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Some of the best frames come 'frame only' IBIS, Santa Cruz, Cove, Intense etc, but most offer 'build kits' now which is kinda like a off-the-self bike, only you get a lot more choice and price range.

Building a bike from sratch from new bits is rarely cheeper than a complete bike, but it's not a far a gap as you might first thing.

Most complete bikes have a weak point that'll fail early doors, and most will have something on it that the end user won't like and will upgrade early on - all adds up.

Plus if you buy all your bits from the same LBS and have them build it they'll usuall give a decent discount.

When I had my shocker built it came in at way over £5500 at RRP, but the shop built it for just over £4000, insane money I know, but it was, spec considered, in the ball-park of complete DH bikes. This was before the world went mental and prices jumped 30% though.
  • Northwind
    Pauls cycles actually have a 2009 Anthem X3 for £825 at the moment.£175 cheaper than the 2010 frame only deal!

Yup. Thought it was fairer to compare 2010 models even though there's no real difference
    Uncompromising extremist