How can I keep my feet warm!

prawny
prawny Posts: 5,440
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
Seriously, is there any way of keeping your feet warm when it's cold? This morning I was in a pair of endura baabaa socks a pair of hiking sock my spesh sport mtb shoes and endura mt500 overshoes and my feet were white when I got into the office it really hurt when they warmed up.

Anyone have any more ideas? My hands were fine most of the way so my circulation is ok but I don't think I can carry on like this.
Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017

Comments

• Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I wear my spesh overshoes inside my shoes - toasty and you still have enough grip not to fall over when you get off the bike :roll:
  • leedsmjh
    leedsmjh Posts: 196
    I swear by the chemical heat pads Toasti-toes
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    With all those socks on are your shoes too tight? That could be the problem.
    What are you wearing on your legs? Making sure your calves are warm goes a long way to keeping your feet warm too.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • prawny
    JonGinge wrote:
    With all those socks on are your shoes too tight? That could be the problem.
    What are you wearing on your legs? Making sure your calves are warm goes a long way to keeping your feet warm too.

Nah I had my shoes looser than normal so there was room to wiggle my toes and that. I had some giordana roubaix bibtights on (i'm not that hard)
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • All the socks have got to be making your shoes too tight, which is bad mmkay.

There are various people that make battery-powered heated socks and insoles - my mother uses these for skiing http://www.exo2.co.uk/exo2.html#insole and says they're brilliant, but they're not cheap. Googling 'heated socks' brings back lots of results.

Other things to try:

Make sure your feet, socks and shoes are bone dry when you put them on.

Put them and your socks on the radiator overnight so they're warm when you put them on, warm feet to start with are (in my experience of poor circulation) likelier to stay warm.

Get some overshoes that are made of horrid boil in the bag waterproof material

Make sure the rest of you is warm! If I'm cold my feet feel it first.
  • prawny
    All the socks have got to be making your shoes too tight, which is bad mmkay.

There are various people that make battery-powered heated socks and insoles - my mother uses these for skiing http://www.exo2.co.uk/exo2.html#insole and says they're brilliant, but they're not cheap. Googling 'heated socks' brings back lots of results.

Other things to try:

Put them and your socks on the radiator overnight so they're warm when you put them on, warm feet to start with are (in my experience of poor circulation) likelier to stay warm.

I did look at heated sock's/insoles I've emboldened (nice) the important bit, because I, as many women know, am cheap.

I think the boil in the bag waterproof material overshoes might be an idea. I might put carrier bags on my feet tonight and see how that goes.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • All the socks have got to be making your shoes too tight, which is bad mmkay.

Other things to try:

Just don't let ITB near those socks. I now have a mental image of him rolling along, blissfully unaware of the flames coming out of his shoes...
  • prawny wrote:

Other things to try:

I did look at heated sock's/insoles I've emboldened (nice) the important bit, because I, as many women know, am cheap.

I think the boil in the bag waterproof material overshoes might be an idea. I might put carrier bags on my feet tonight and see how that goes.

Google brings back heated socks for £15... just how cheap are you?

And put the carrier bags on the outside. Putting them inside your shoes will give you blisters - from personal, painful experience...

Really do make sure your feet are warm before you get out on the bike - your feet aren't going to warm up cycling, but staying warm is less of an ask.
  • bratboy
    bratboy Posts: 82
    I use Sealskinz Ultralight ankle sox (they're like 3 sox in 1), with Planet X neoprene overshoes in -6 temps earlier this week and was fine for over an hours commute in the early hrs.

One thing you can try is using embrocation/heat rub on feet :shock:
    SC61.10a: FCN 3, with clip-on guards for winter
    Uncle John: FCN ?? knobblies, or 'fat' slicks n guards

If you haven't tried these things, you should.
    These things are fun, and fun is good.
  • prawny
    just how cheap are you?

:wink:

TBF that is cheaper than I though I'd seen them, I just had a look in blacks and walking socks are that much.

I think, I'm going to get the train home tonight, I've just been for a walk and it's mentally cold, also the heavily pregnant wife suggested I should :oops:
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155

Other things to try:

You forgot the key option, which is MTFU.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I might also suggest make sure your shoes aren't still wet from the night before... that makes for cold feet in this weather :cry:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • fenboy369
    fenboy369 Posts: 425
    Turn on the cars footwell heater? I'll get my coat.......
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    How are the conditions into Birmingham at the moment? Particularly between Kingstanding and Perry Barr? I've come off there a couple of times with black ice...
  • prawny
    whyamihere wrote:
    How are the conditions into Birmingham at the moment? Particularly between Kingstanding and Perry Barr? I've come off there a couple of times with black ice...

Kingstanding is the worst bit by far, it was ok this morning because the trafiic was stuck at the big island after the common but out of the wheel tracks it's still covered with frozen snow. I've taken the decision (been told) to get the train tonight and then drive in until the snow clears/baby is born so it look like i'm off the bike now for at least 3 weeks, then I've got a month off work.

It's really not worth it at the moment, stay safe out there kids.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    MTB it is then! Cheers.
  • I've been using Sealskinz Medium thermal socks, MTB shoes and PRO water proof over shoes, which seems to work down to -5 deg, but my shoes are really tight with the thermal socks and uncomfortable, (can't wiggle toes).

I may consider getting a larger pair of cheap MTB shoes for winter use and use more layers!
    I ache, therefore I am.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Really do make sure your feet are warm before you get out on the bike - your feet aren't going to warm up cycling, but staying warm is less of an ask.

This is the key. The only source of heat is your feet themselves, so if they're cold, all the socks in the world aren't going to help. I have a hot bath every morning and it works wonders for all parts, including feet which are then encased in Woolie Boolies.
  • prawny
    biondino wrote:

This is the key. The only source of heat is your feet themselves, so if they're cold, all the socks in the world aren't going to help. I have a hot bath every morning and it works wonders for all parts, including feet which are then encased in Woolie Boolies.

my parts were also cold, but they warmed up with less pain.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,208
    I've been using Sealskinz Medium thermal socks!
    +1 for the Sealskinz. Went out running last night for about 40 mins in the snow with only an ordinary set of trainers and my feet were warm all the way through the run. Was definitely below zero all the time I was out.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    I've realised the trouble I have with cold feet is the SPD's - very simply there's holes in the bottom of my shoes and metal plates and bolts which will conduct the cold through to the inside. It clicked when I realised it's always under the ball of my foot that gets cold first, then it spreads. Until this happens my feet are toasty warm in thick woolly socks (same ones I use up in the mountains) and neoprene overshoes - which, of course, don't cover the underneath of my feet.

What to do about it, I'm not sure.
  • iain_j wrote:
    I've realised the trouble I have with cold feet is the SPD's - very simply there's holes in the bottom of my shoes and metal plates and bolts which will conduct the cold through to the inside. It clicked when I realised it's always under the ball of my foot that gets cold first, then it spreads. Until this happens my feet are toasty warm in thick woolly socks (same ones I use up in the mountains) and neoprene overshoes - which, of course, don't cover the underneath of my feet.

Thin foil lined/thermal insoles?
  • iain_j wrote:

I hadn't actually thought of the SPD issue, but will bear it in mind.

My wife wore SealSkinz waterproof socks and BBB overshoes, and I wore normal sports socks and nightvision overshoes, on whole day rides in Portsmouth over New Year. Even with bad circulation her feet stayed warmer. However, I was using SPDs, she wasn't.

Lots of variables, but on past experience I believe the socks were the biggest factor.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Forget the bike-specific shoes. Most of them are designed to keep feet cool.
    I was out biking last weekend in my SPD shoes, with thick Sealskins socks. Feet were completely numb. I went out again the other night for a ride in the snow and wore hiking boots with thick socks and voila, warm feet !
    The ability to "simply step off"* when it all goes a bit sideways in the snow is an added bonus.

*From the instructional/warning sticker on a skateboard I had as a yoof - "If you get out of control, simply step off"
    Misguided Idealist
  • prawny wrote:

Anyone have any more ideas? My hands were fine most of the way so my circulation is ok but I don't think I can carry on like this.

I'm the other way round, single pair of footy socks, bog standard spesh MTB shoes and no overs and my feet were toasty.

I was completely warm, ears cheeks the lot even though it was way way below zero

My fingers though really suffered after 5-6 miles - wooly liners, latex surgeons gloves then sealskinz wind and waterproof all weather gloves and I was in absolute agony for the last mile and 20 minutes of some of the worst pain I can remember as they warmed up once at work. I couldnt take my helmet off or press the buttons to turn off my lights and they felt like sausages.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    I wear my spesh overshoes inside my shoes - toasty and you still have enough grip not to fall over when you get off the bike :roll:

I call those "socks".
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    How about putting your pairs of socks (clean) in the oven (50C) so they are nice and warm before you put them, your shoes and overshoes on, just before you go out? Also can do this for neck fleece, hat and gloves.

I wear the Endura thinner summer socks inside their Thermo socks which seems to work well and their MT500 overshoes over my Shimano MT20 shoes with SPDs (Use silicon sealant to make sure they are sealed around the plate from water and draughts). Simples.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • prawny
    Even keeping them on the radiator is ok but in this weather my commute is taking about an hour and a half so they cool down quickly.

I didn't have much trouble today, I wore gore tex boots and the cars heater was working perfectly :oops:
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017