OT - Influence of the media

CyclingBantam
CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
Discussion on one of the many snow threads has got me thinking. There is lots of discussion in general at the moment about how we can't cope in the UK in the snow etc which I think is a load of bunkum.
I think we handle snowy weather just fine. We may have to change our routine slightly but that is simple handling the situation.

Anyway, this got me thinking that it is simply a media story that the general public reel out to each other. Exactly the same with the gritters at the moment. I never knew there were so many experts on grit and the effects on roads in extreme temperatures! Everyone's an expert today!

I think that the media can totally influence the way this country progress's. We all joke about papers like the Mail etc but I think it is a little frightening how much people believe and are steered by papers like that. I think as well if you ask your average Joe they will believe they are in no way influenced by the media.

Discuss...

Comments

• Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    People have to get their information from somewhere. Most get it from their preferred source of media be that a paper, tv or internet.

Some look into the facts and get them from various different sources and then come to an opinion, others just trust "the bible" they get it from.

Such is life.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"