Caley Etape; Charges dropped

theboyDonald
theboyDonald Posts: 219
ALL CHARGES have been dropped against the chairman of the local community council who had been accused of attempting to sabotage Perthshire’s popular Etape cycle race in the summer.

Alexander Grosset, of Bridge of Gaur, Rannoch, was charged in May with culpably and recklessly placing tacks on the surface of a public road, which was being used as a closed-road cycle event.

It was alleged he showed complete disregard for the safety of the competitors and pedestrians, causing damage to the bicycles, emergency service vehicles and other associated vehicles.

Mr Grosset appeared in private before Sheriff Michael Fletcher at Perth and was released on bail.

Hundreds of cyclists were left with punctures at the Etape Caledonia event.

The 81-mile race starts and finishes in Pitlochry.

Mr Grosset, a church elder, is the chairman of Rannoch and Tummel Community Council.

A Crown Office spokesman said yesterday, “We can confirm that the procurator fiscal in Perth received a report concerning a 62-year-old man in relation to an incident on 16 May, 2009.

“After full and careful consideration of all the facts and circumstances by Crown counsel, it was decided there should be no further proceedings.”

Competitors were sent tumbling and countless others suffered punctures after hundreds of carpet tacks were strewn across almost five miles of Highland Perthshire road.

There has always been vocal opposition from a minority of residents to the Etape, but no-one was prepared for what happened next as the leadriders suffered punctures about 43 miles into the course.

The race was held up for around 90 minutes as marshalls and police swept the road before allowing the field to continue.

It is thought the tacks were laid only minutes after officials carried out their final check on the route, some time between 6.30am and 7am.

Tayside Police launched an investigation and described the sabotage as a “reckless and irresponsible” act that could have had tragic consequences.

Mr Grosset was the only person to face charges in the wake of the incident.

Local Councillor Ken Lyall said at the time he was “absolutely furious,” blaming “a low and contemptible” hard core of protesters for the sabotage.

“I cannot believe that someone has been so stupid,” Mr Lyall said.

“For anti-Etape campaigners to lower them-selves to do this is a very sad day for Highland Perthshire.”

North Tayside MSP John Swinney said, “This was a highly dangerous act that could have brought serious injury to people on the event.

“It brings many visitors to Highland Perthshire and such an act is totally contrary to the hospitable and welcoming traditions of this area.”

Comments

• Lou_m
    Lou_m Posts: 97
    Unbl00dybelievable.

British justice at its best :roll:
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    Lou_m wrote:
    Unbl00dybelievable.

Scottish justice - not British. Scotland has its own legal system, as I'm sure you know (what with living in Fife n' all.... ;) )
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I see this every bl00dy day.

CPS decide not to prosecute.

Grrr.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    softlad wrote:
    Lou_m wrote:
    Unbl00dybelievable.

Scottish justice - not British. Scotland has its own legal system, as I'm sure you know (what with living in Fife n' all.... ;) )

Just to play Devil's advocate, you could argue that justice has been served if there is actually no real evidence that he did it (or at least not enough to prosecute).
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    2 days in holding is probably more than he would have been sentenced to anyway.

They probably came to the conclusion that they "think" he did it but could not "prove" that he did it. In which case he would have been let off and a waste of time.

As long as lessons have been learned. Fingers crossed.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    The CRIMINAL charges have been dropped, but anybody is able to mount a CIVIL case against him for damages, and with a lower burden of proof required.
  • aya604
    aya604 Posts: 67
    church elders in scotland (and elsewhere) have considerable experience in escaping justice

this experience has been gained largely in the cover up of the mistreatment of children
  • I think you need to quantify that last statement aya604
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    +1

And I speak as a Kirk elder.

Not happy at all at the charges being dropped, although, if they didn't have the evidence perhaps......At lease he spent two nights in custody, although I would have preferred to have seen him put on trial, even if the verdict was Not Proven.
  • shane515
    shane515 Posts: 139
    Free to do it again........he best not :evil:

Shane
  • Angus444
    Angus444 Posts: 141
    GiantMike wrote:
    The CRIMINAL charges have been dropped, but anybody is able to mount a CIVIL case against him for damages, and with a lower burden of proof required.

Good point, Mike. I hope he is hit with a Schiehallion-sized postbag of claims.
  • Hmmmm, ponder this,

Retired man buys local hardware store's stock of carpet tacks.
    Carpet tacks are not found at home of the retired man.
    Retired man does not have 2nd career as carpet fitter.
    No report of break in at, or theft from, home of retired man.
    Said carpet tacks are subsequently found spread across local road near home of retired man.
    Retired man has been vocal in opposition to cycle event disrupted by attack (sorry).
    Retired man, who may know a bit about the law, seems not to deny culpability but stresses that there is no proof that he did it. He also says that IF (?) he did not do it, then someone else must have.

IF ????????

Now, being a cyclist I may be a tad prejudiced here, I do try not to be, but surely a half decent lawyer can present a civil case strong enough for a Sheriff (not a jury of local people) to find in favour of those who suffered damage.

So, who is going to make the first move?