Chain cleaner liquid

clwydian_rider92
clwydian_rider92 Posts: 416
edited January 2010 in MTB general
For christmas i got the Park Tools CG-2 Chain Gang Chain Cleaner Set, and it only comes with 8oz of cleaner liquid. Just wondering do i have to change the liquid everythime i use it, or do i keep the liquid in the cleaner mechanism and somehow balance it it to stay upright?

Thanks
Giant XTC SE 2006
Cube LTD Race 2009
Trek Fuel EX 9

Comments

• Depends, how many bikes you have! when i do mine i do all 4 at the same time. but then next time i use it i change it. I've heard people use white spirit in theirs not sure if thats a good idea of not.
  • Ive used white spirit before as well. Can't be as good as the proper stuff can it.
    Giant XTC SE 2006
    Cube LTD Race 2009
    Trek Fuel EX 9
  • I'm sure aslong as you lube it well after it can't be too bad???
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    I use neat fenwicks in mine, it brings the chain up well.

After doing it you have to give the chain a good rinse and then lube it well.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Ive used white spirit before as well. Can't be as good as the proper stuff can it.

Probably can, paraffin and white spirit are superb chain cleaners (they're a major ingredient in lots of expensive chain cleaners, and also in WD40)

Never used either in a cleaner though, since I have a highly advanced Jam Jar Cleaner.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333
    You can buy more of the stuff that comes with it (Park Tool CB-2 ChainBrite). One of the reviews there reckons you can reuse it after the gunk separates.

There are cheaper degreasers out there though. I got a lot of degreaser from Halfords (most BikeHut stuff is just rebranded Weldtite products) a couple months ago after finding out it was ringing up for 3 quid a litre instead of 10. I just throw it away after each use.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    Northwind wrote:

Never used either in a cleaner though, since I have a highly advanced Jam Jar Cleaner.

are you a "tighten the lid and give it a good shake" kind of guy, or a "sit and steep" kind of guy?

:D
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    10 minutes soak followed by a minute or so of mad shoogling :lol: State of the art...
    Uncompromising extremist