Solway Sportive

Hi,

Anybody do the Solway Sportive last year. Good course, total climb, all round atmosphere?

M

Comments

• DaveMoss
    DaveMoss Posts: 236
    I help out with this one. (so may be a bit biased)

It's not the longest/hardest you will find, but it's a very friendly event on an enjoyable route (and you can make it hard by going fast, it's probably as hard as the etape caledonia).
    does not have a major climb, but lots of shorter up and downs. Made a bit more testing by having the steepest ups on the last 15 miles. .Great combination of coastal and hill scenary, very little traffic. Hq is the rugby club with showers. And cheap to enter.
    Sportives and tours, 100% for charity, http://www.tearfundcycling.btck.co.uk
  • DaveMoss
  • mattybeck
    mattybeck Posts: 135
    Many thanks Dave. Sounds great!!! There's a combination of Glasgow and London based folk looking for a sportive so hopefully i'll be able to persuade them to enter.
  • Dave
    i am interested in this but somehow have missed any mention of it before.
    I do the Drumlanrig challenge each year as it is local(ish) the solway would be the same.
    The route looks very good, as you say not challenging as such but if sun is shining and the snow melts :lol: (although was in Dumfries the other day and you could see green suff, think it was grass :wink: will be a good day out on different route. Can you post a web site or give any further info
    Thanks
    Peter
  • Coyote
    Coyote Posts: 212
    Aaaarrrrggghhhhh!

Would have loved to do this but it's the same weekend as the Etape Caledonia :cry:
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    Coyote wrote:
    Aaaarrrrggghhhhh!

Would have loved to do this but it's the same weekend as the Etape Caledonia :cry:

+1

Double b*gger.
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    That looks great fun. I'm in. After three EC's I decided not to go to Pitlochry this year: this would be a fine alternative.

Is there a website?

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• LittleB0b
    LittleB0b Posts: 416
    indeed that does look appealing as a first sportive - no crazy hills and lovely part of of the world...

I'm tempted.
  • DaveMoss
    There is not yet an event specific website. Online entry is available via www.entrycentral,com and some details can be found on the dumfries club web site www.dumfriescc.btik.com .

Urr lodge, which is on the route, is a high standard hostel aimed at cyclists should you need accomodation
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    Sounds interesting. What time does it start? The earliest train from Edinburgh appears to get in to Dumfries at 8.52am, so any time after 9am would work a treat :)
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    Ah, never mind - it says on Entry Central. 9am - 10 for the long loop, 10 - 10.30 for the short. Perfect.

*Edit*

Goddammit! It's on a Sunday, not a Saturday. First train doesn't get in 'til 13:50!

Ah well, it would've been nice, but I can't afford to stay overnight.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • Dr U Idh
    Dr U Idh Posts: 324
    Coyote wrote:
    Aaaarrrrggghhhhh!

Oops - me too.
  • galaxyboy
    galaxyboy Posts: 168
    Looks like a great alternative to Etape Caledonia and a way better price too. :D
  • Would have loved to do this, but already signed up for EC. Boo - maybe next year.
  • pneumatic
    Finally got around to signing up for this one (the long course).

I'm looking forward to it as it goes through places I used to spend time in when I was a kid and haven't really been back to since.

I note the usual intimidating list of club riders and triathletes in the sign up list. If anybody else is going and "prefers" (i.e. is obliged by lack of fitness :D) to ride at a more leisurely 21kph (13mph), I'd be happy to share the work (and the time of day).

Silver Spesh Roubaix, Blue helmet, beer-enhanced physique!

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations

• Humph
    Humph Posts: 31
    Alright Mr P,
    Couldn't get away to Pitlochry for 3 days with the lads again this year so entered this as a very attractive alternative - closer to home, great sales pitch by local CC and taking family for weekend.
    Hopefully meet up - I'm on a Ribble Sportive and white Catlike lid.
    Cheers
    H
  • pneumatic
    Great! I'll look out for you.

Your family will have a great time, too; it is a really attractive part of the country. Recommend Caerlaverock Castle and also Threave Castle (access by boat across the river). If good weather, picnic beside Loch Ken. The return coastal walk from Kipford to Rockcliffe (or vice versa) is pleasant. Anchor Inn at Kipford was always good for lunch, too.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations