Two things i made my mind up about today...

spasypaddy
spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
1. I need a cape im going to get a CX bike... (CAAD9 CX BIKE)
2. Cycling in the snow/ice is a painful experience when you slip down the hill as your wheels slip out when riding fixed in it.

and a third thing, scalping a guy on a mountain bike in this weather when riding a fixie in full lycra counts as a scalp as in the snow the rankings are reversed.

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Chapeau on the CX

All scalps count/don't count in the weather is double Brucey bonus points in this weather unless of course you're in London in which it doesn't
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Welcome to the dark side - Mr Burns will no doubt put a cape in the post for you.

If you choose to ride a fixie in the snow don't whine when the MTB boys scalp you :wink:
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Good man. 8)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • spasypaddy
    i scalped the MTB rider on my fixie. i also gave him a good 5min head start on a long road and knew he hadnt left the road as he left tracks whilst i was riding a bit further out.

i did however fall twice later on in my journey and now i can barely walk as ive got some massive bruising on my hip.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    It only counts as a scalp if the MTB has studded tyres....expecially on road....although they will be much slower.... 8)
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    spasypaddy wrote:
    ...i did however fall twice later on in my journey and now i can barely walk as ive got some massive bruising on my hip.

Are you using SPDs or some such?

With toeclips I find that I can get a foot down quick enough to catch a fall, if I'm being careful. Keep your weight back, so the rear slides first and use the fixed gear to judge the slippyness.

Cheers,
    W.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I'm riding fixed if it looks like danger I unclip and ride slowly, been ok so far
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • spasypaddy
    no im riding speedplays. and i lost my cleat covers in the snow last night.
    :(

im in lots of pain, the whole of my right side is bruised, ive hurt my groin as well from the falls, and the left side of my back from the jolt.
    fossyant wrote:
    It only counts as a scalp if the MTB has studded tyres....expecially on road....although they will be much slower.... 8)
    disagree, he hast 2inch wide tyres with lots of nobbles i was riding 25mm slicks. and i dont mean gatorskins which have a tiny amount of tread i mean schwalbe stelvios which are as slick as a sheet of ice
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    MTB's crash just as well as any other bike on ICE - snow, then they are better, but ICE and they go down...done it.

My fixed has stayed tucked away....MTB out, and as the ICE has appeared...studded tyres too.