Cycle gear, I need some.

metalmonkey
metalmonkey Posts: 144
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
I need some more cycling gear, well I don't have much anway...

I have a mounatin bike, which I use for getting to work on either all the way or part train then ride in...

I only have have a pair of shorts and padded lyca shorts which I can alone wear but they do they clip into my shorts.

I as thinking along the lines of some tights of some sort, base layer and some jerseys really just to keep warm. I have a good jackect alredy. Would be able to get the shorts over the top of tights maybe as well? I don't mind spending money, but don't want to go crazy as I have road tax, insurance ect to pay at the moment.

Is something like this any good?

http://www.cycle-clothing.co.uk/Product ... x-pad.aspx

Any suggestions?

Comments

• I think DDD wears those... DDD?
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Yep I'm a CC-UK whore.

However, I've upped the brands to Pearl Izumi and other popular cycle brands (I'm not ready for Castelli, yet).

Where as I sung the praises of CC-UK and Speg my view has changed.

Where its value can be found is that at £30 - £10 for a top/Jersey/Jacket/Gloves/Glasses/warmers in-and-of-itself the quality vs price is amazing.

It's not as good as Castelli, Pearl izumi or Northwave (if you can afford it) but for often half the price or even less you're getting better value against quality.

Example my Pearl Izumi jacket is better than any of my Speg ones. However my two Speg jackets come to the same price as my one Pearl Izumi jacket and they (The Speg jackets) are good quality (just not as good as the Izumi) so I would argue that the value is better if not the like for like quality.

Make sense.

Just buy it.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Ok so that stuff is ok then?

How well does it last, I would rather have some gear that will last and not fall apart and last.

IS there anything that is equal from any other web sites ect?
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Lewis Kit do good base layers. Worth getting one good one instead of two cr@p ones. Not sure what the DHB ones sold by Wiggle are like.

I wear fleece-lined Sugoi running tights under my bib shorts, so you could do the same under your shorts.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    I need some more cycling gear, well I don't have much anway...

I have a mounatin bike, which I use for getting to work on either all the way or part train then ride in...

I only have have a pair of shorts and padded lyca shorts which I can alone wear but they do they clip into my shorts.

I as thinking along the lines of some tights of some sort, base layer and some jerseys really just to keep warm. I have a good jackect alredy. Would be able to get the shorts over the top of tights maybe as well? I don't mind spending money, but don't want to go crazy as I have road tax, insurance ect to pay at the moment.

Is something like this any good?

http://www.cycle-clothing.co.uk/Product ... x-pad.aspx

Any suggestions?

For saving money have a look at places like the Army Surplus stores, walking and camping shops (oswald baileys, blacks, the cotswolds and millets). Oswald Baileys were selling off a load of mountain biking gloves nice and cheap about a week back so if you have one local they're worth a mooch.

In Blacks they;re selling some base layers (long sleeve) for about 10-15 quid. Some are a wool mix, some cotton mix and some all polyester based fabric.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    cjcp wrote:
    Lewis Kit do good base layers. Worth getting one good one instead of two cr@p ones. Not sure what the DHB ones sold by Wiggle are like.

I wear fleece-lined Sugoi running tights under my bib shorts, so you could do the same under your shorts.
    The TEss baselayers are fantastic. Lewiskit don't seem to have any at the moment, though. May be worth contacting them.
    I would also recommend the Craft Pro Zero Extreme WS baselayer but it's now 35quid. I'm sure it used to be a lot cheaper than that. :? I wore it today: toasty.

For tights DHB merstons are a great budget buy. Again, I wore mine today :)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Would these fit, they seemed designed for all tall people I'm a short arse...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/dhb_E ... 360045082/

Would a small fit i'm 5 7" and 29" 32" wasite leg there doesn't seem to much feedback about this on wiggle. What do you think? Also would bib be better than wasit ones?
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    edited January 2010
    Endura Baa Baa merino are superb base layers - comfortable, warm but not sweaty and don't smell like synthetic ones. A little more expensive but worth it - they can handle a weeks commute without washing.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Would these fit, they seemed designed for all tall people I'm a short ars*...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/dhb_E ... 360045082/

Would a small fit i'm 5 7" and 29" 32" wasite leg there doesn't seem to much feedback about this on wiggle. What do you think? Also would bib be better than wasit ones?

Small looks about right. Bibs definitely. You won't have to worry about your top riding up and exposing your lower back and sides.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I have a couple of Canterbury base layers, bought for £22 ish at CRC I think. They are brilliant cold-weather wear and wick phenomenally well, to the extent that when I leave them to dry at work I make sure they're not inside out because all the moisture is on the outside.
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    I bought a pair of Compression Thermal Bottoms from Aldi for £8.99, wore them today and I recommend them. They are black so could be worn under/over a pair of shorts or longs.

Unfortunately the mens tops are only short sleeved.

My best buy for winter gear was a Crane l/s cycling top from Aldi, forget what I paid but no more than £15, much more wind protection than the Altura one I have which was at least double the price.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Thnaks guys I'll have a look into it all, I'm working over the w/end there are no trains and the roads ain't gritted it seems the coucil theft has been spent on something else :wink:

I'll sort some gear however I'm trapped at work and can't use hppts sites so no ording at the moment!

I have heard good things about the craft base layers, I can get them from the local motorbike shop, I can also use them under my motorbike gear, score I was gonna a base layer fot them anyway.
  • Well I got these in the end;

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/dhb_M ... 360045075/

I got them in small they fit fine, I also got a cycle jersey for $10 as well so not bad, I have found the base layer I'm after too just need to order it.

thx for the help.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    What about Decathlon? They are not high-end by any means, but if you are on a budget they are useful.

www.decathlon.co.uk
  • Cafewanda wrote:
    What about Decathlon? They are not high-end by any means, but if you are on a budget they are useful.

www.decathlon.co.uk

+1
    Decathlon arm and leg warmers are brilliant
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Speg lasts and the quality is just fine.

I need base layers. I was going to wait this winter out but it doesn't seem to be ending anytime soon.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • ndura Baa Baa merino are superb base layers - comfortable, warm but not sweaty and don't smell like synthetic ones. A little more expensive but worth it - they can handle a weeks commute without washing.

+1 they are excellent, and I'm on my second week without washing them :D