Cyclone 2010

Peter Harrison
Peter Harrison Posts: 189
Over 720 enties have been received so far for the 2010 Cyclone Sportive rides over the weekend of 11-13th June. Plans are now shaping up well for the whole event with invitiations aleady being accepted by overseas teams for the Newcastle Leazes criteriums on the friday and the Beaumont Trophy on the sunday.
Lots of exciting new things have been planned for the whole weekend to make it one of the biggest and most spectacular events in the UK in 2010. these include:
Entertainment and trade stands in Leazes park on the friday night.
Overseas and National teams competing against the very best of the UK riders & Teams.
Revised routes for the two longer routes on the saturday.
Modified route for the Beaumont with the riders tackling the Ryals four times plus a revised finishing circuit.
Entertainment on the village green in Stamfordham on the sunday.
Filming of all three days
Celebrities taking part in the Challenge rides on the saturday as well as Teams training on the same route for the Beaumont.
Special competition with prizes money can't buy.

All entry details on the event website www.northernrockcyclone.co.uk

Comments

• What's the limit on enties, Peter? The wife and I will be doing the B (her) and the C rides.

Dumb question, by the way - where's Leazes in relation to Kingston Park? We've got a room booked near Kingston Park for Friday night, but it'd be good to come and watch some racing etc - are they close together?
  • What's the limit on enties, Peter? The wife and I will be doing the B (her) and the C rides.

Dumb question, by the way - where's Leazes in relation to Kingston Park? We've got a room booked near Kingston Park for Friday night, but it'd be good to come and watch some racing etc - are they close together?

Andy - the limits are Ride C 1500 Ride B 1000. This may sound a lot but already 430 have signed for Ride C and we haven't even really started the publicity machine yet. I expect all rides to be filled before the cut off date.

Kingston Park is 4 mls from Leazes Park which is in the City Centre just behind St James Park, the home of Newcastle United. You can easily get into town using the Metro train from eithe Bank Foot or Callerton lane stations.
    I advise everyone to come along on the friday night and register for the saturday in order to avoid queuing on the saturday morning. also it's a great night of racing and other entertainment.
  • Thanks - we'll be signing up in the next day or two. What time's the racing on Friday night? We'll definitely get there for that if we can.
  • Racing starts at 6.15pm on the fridat night with the Elites off about 8pm. All details are on the website.
  • Cool - we'll be there!
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    What's the limit on enties, Peter? The wife and I will be doing the B (her) and the C rides.

Andy - the limits are Ride C 1500 Ride B 1000. This may sound a lot but already 430 have signed for Ride C and we haven't even really started the publicity machine yet. I expect all rides to be filled before the cut off date.

Kingston Park is 4 mls from Leazes Park which is in the City Centre just behind St James Park, the home of Newcastle United. You can easily get into town using the Metro train from eithe Bank Foot or Callerton lane stations.
    I advise everyone to come along on the friday night and register for the saturday in order to avoid queuing on the saturday morning. also it's a great night of racing and other entertainment.

+1 to that, it is a good night of racing. Registered Friday night last year, then just rode to Kingston Pk from the in-laws a mile away straight to the start line, easy.
  • LardLover
    LardLover Posts: 676
    +2 for the Friday night, and as mentioned, register on the FRIDAY night, otherwise you'll have a lllooonnnggg wait on the Saturday.
  • How hard is the 104m ride compared with (say) the dales sportives like the white rose and the etape du dales? the gold and silver standard times look a lot quicker - is that reflected in the course being a bit less...well...lumpy?

and for mrs afe's benefit, how ganrly is the 60m route? she's done the great yorkshire ride a couple of times from wetherby to filey and found it ok, but wondered how this compared?
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    Andy - I did the 101 mile route last year at the Cyclone and found it easier than the 80 mile route at the Richmond Sportive. My time for the Cyclone was only 40 minutes longer than for the Richmond rides.
  • Thanks Hugo - that maybe explains why the time standards are a bit lower than for other events!
  • hugo15 wrote:
    Andy - I did the 101 mile route last year at the Cyclone and found it easier than the 80 mile route at the Richmond Sportive. My time for the Cyclone was only 40 minutes longer than for the Richmond rides.
    Hugo - if you are doing it this year I think you may find the few tweeks I have put into the route for Ride C with a couple of extra climbs and 3 miles more may just test riders that bit more. It's certainly not an easy 104 mls. So far each year the weather has been relatively kind but if there is a strong westerly blowing it could put a whole new complexion on the event. Even in 2009 a few experienced riders had to abandon because they though they could ride it in skin suits and not bother taking any waterproofs. The Cheviots are not forgiving at times :shock:
  • Peter - i know the route map's on the website, but is there a version you can zoom in a bit more? Would like to put it into garmin mapping software at some point and I want to make sure i'm on the right roads!
  • Peter - i know the route map's on the website, but is there a version you can zoom in a bit more? Would like to put it into garmin mapping software at some point and I want to make sure i'm on the right roads!
    Andy - you can download directly onto your GPS from Google Earth. there will also be 190 signs out so you shouldn't get lost :D
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    Hugo - if you are doing it this year I think you may find the few tweeks I have put into the route for Ride C with a couple of extra climbs and 3 miles more may just test riders that bit more. It's certainly not an easy 104 mls. So far each year the weather has been relatively kind but if there is a strong westerly blowing it could put a whole new complexion on the event. Even in 2009 a few experienced riders had to abandon because they though they could ride it in skin suits and not bother taking any waterproofs. The Cheviots are not forgiving at times :shock:

Not entered yet Peter but planning to. More climbing ........................... great :wink: .
  • hugo15 wrote:

Not entered yet Peter but planning to. More climbing ........................... great :wink: .
    Look forward to seeing your entry. To date enrties are approaching 800 with 450 signed up for the 104ml ride. I think this ride will sell out first and long before the final cut off date.
    I've got a few "celebs" lined up to ride and you may just be surprised wh you see out there :wink:
  • I'm a bit of a duffer when it comes to GPS and uploads (I get confused with GPX/TRX and tracks/courses etc), Peter, but my Edge seems to have trouble with route calculation when the route comes from Google Earth etc - I get a line on the map but not the directions. Not crucial, as you say, but I like to have things like the tops of hills and stuff in it so I know how far away they are!
  • Entries for the three Sportive rides now approaching 1000. Over 50% of ride C places already taken (104mls).
  • The Mechanic
    The Mechanic Posts: 1,277
    Entry in for the 104m ride. Now I've done it!
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • Entries for the three Sportive rides now approaching 1000. Over 50% of ride C places already taken (104mls).
    Entries now up to 1600 with ride C (104ml) filling up quickly with 903 to date. Technically all entries will remain open for a few more months but I think the limit for all three rides will be reached before then :D Entries are currently coming in a the rate of 30-40 per day :roll: