Simoni to Rock Racing?

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited January 2010 in Pro race
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Maybe he should first ask Cipollini how it worked out for him last year...
  • :shock:

Does this mean I have to like Rock Racing now?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • iainf72
    He fits in with their ethos.
  • iainf72 wrote:

Basso next then?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • iainf72
    iainf72 wrote:

Basso next then?

No no. Basso is still quite good.

If you've done a ban, you need to be really cr@p to get a gig on RR.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Basso next then?

No no. Basso is still quite good.

If you've done a ban, you need to be really cr@p to get a gig on RR.

Fair does, just as well Simoni has never done a ban then. That's how he had the time to rack up all those Giro podiums. :lol:

@gietvangent
  • thomasmc
    thomasmc Posts: 814
    I always had a soft spot for Simoni, probably because of his unpredictability!
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,479
    Fair does, just as well Simoni has never done a ban then. That's how he had the time to rack up all those Giro podiums. :lol:

Wasn't Simoni banned in his early career, i.e. in the late 1990s?
  • andyp wrote:

He was banned briefly for a positive test for Cocaine in 2002. he managed to scam, sorry convince, i mean prove to the satisfaction of CONI that he'd accidentally ingested the substance in a throat lozenge his auntie brought back from Peru.

Best. Explanation. Ever. That he was able to produce one of the lozenges only makes it better in my eyes!

@gietvangent
  • Please God....anywhere bar the Rock! :cry:
    andyp wrote:
    Fair does, just as well Simoni has never done a ban then.

Andy, is this what you mean?

MG-TechnoGym affair (1997):
    In the giro 1997, team MG TechnoGym was caught doing systematic doping, when police raided their team hotel and found a lot of doping products (among others EPO and Synachten). At first, sports director Ferreti explained the products only was for his own personal use, to gain more sexual strength. But later Soigneur Sarti admitted the doping products was intended for “free use” of the riders on the team. Doping cases was never started against any of the riders that all got amnesty, and the riders was even allowed to complete the Giro. Not surprisingly the sponsor decided to leave the team, and it was dissolved in nov.1997. Sports director Giancarlo Ferretti and soigneur Luigi Sarti received a short suspension from FCI, on respectively 1 month and 9 month. Implicated staff was all back in cycling only 1 year later: Ferretti=Riso Scotti (this team was later accused of system doping in 1998 as part of the Ferrari network), Morrassut=soigneur at Mapei (caught in 1999 of sending a hugh packet of amphetamines), Sarti=soigneur at Cantina Tollo, and a mechanic was working at Amiga Chips (caught of leaving doping trash in 1999).

Convicted staff: Ferreti (sports director), Sarti (soigneur), Morrassut (soigneur), and 1 mechanic.

18 riders at MG-TechnoGym in 1997: Baldato, Bartoli, Bertolini, Bettini, S.Casagrande, Charriere, Coppolillo, Finco, Fontanelli, Lecchi, Loda, Nicoletti, Pistore, Santaromita, Scinto, Gilberto Simoni, Tosatto.

No conviction, though.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Birillo
    Birillo Posts: 417
    Baldato, Bartoli, Bertolini, Bettini, S.Casagrande, Charriere,. . . Gilberto Simoni, Tosatto

I think I'm going to faint . . .
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Birillo wrote:
    Baldato, Bartoli, Bertolini, Bettini, S.Casagrande, Charriere,. . . Gilberto Simoni, Tosatto

A lot of those riders were busted later in their careers. Not old Luigi though.

Tosatto must be aaaaaaancient by now
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Just got around to reading the CN article... No chance Rock will start the Giro, my money would still be on Lampre.

As to the photo, he'll wreck those white Sidis mountain biking in them!

@gietvangent
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Cyclingfans reporting that RR have been refused a Pro Conti license. I guess that means still no team for Gibo (or Flandis).
  • northernneil
    northernneil Posts: 1,549
    Timoid. wrote:
    Birillo wrote:

A lot of those riders were busted later in their careers. Not old Luigi though.

Tosatto must be aaaaaaancient by now

until he popped up in this thread I assumed he retired years ago
  • RR's Pro Conti licence appeal turned down, so I see no Giro, or Gibo.
  • lucybears
    lucybears Posts: 366
    Simoni to ride last Giro d'Italia with Lampre

The UCI has made the decision to register the team in the ProTour division and the announcement is expected today.
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/simoni- ... ith-lampre
    interview.cyclingfever.com
  • lucybears wrote:
    Simoni to ride last Giro d'Italia with Lampre

The UCI has made the decision to register the team in the ProTour division and the announcement is expected today.
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/simoni- ... ith-lampre
    Gives me the opportunity to splash on Lampre kit!

@gietvangent
  • Way to go! The Little Prince gets his King back. :P
  • Way to go! The Little Prince gets his King back. :P

"Bastardo Ignorante!"

@gietvangent