Has Rujano gone nuts?

jp1985
jp1985 Posts: 434
edited January 2010 in Pro race
http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/2701/Rujano-Im-the-third-best-climber-in-the-world-and-Ill-win-the-Giro.aspx

He thinks he will win the Giro

He thinks he is the third best climber in the world - after Contador and Joaquim Rodriguez??

And Andy Schleck isn't a natural climber

Comments

• Funnily enough, I'm watching the 2005 Giro on the Turbo this week, when Rujano probably was the 3rd best pure climber in the world and nearly did win the Giro.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    He's a true climber.

Spends far too much time in remote mountains for it to be good on his brain.

Didn't someone recently say going out cycling in the mountains on your own for 5 hours was like doing crack?
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Funnily enough, I'm watching the 2005 Giro on the Turbo this week, when Rujano probably was the 3rd best pure climber in the world and nearly did win the Giro.

I'm a fan of the little hobbit, but I think he's being a tad unrealistic to say he's the 3rd best climber in the world based on one race five years. In that case, Federico Bahamontes is still the best climber in the world based on his 1959 form :wink:
  • teagar wrote:
    Didn't someone recently say going out cycling in the mountains on your own for 5 hours was like doing crack?

Chad Gerlach, if I recall correctly.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Is Joaquin Rodriguez that good a climber in the mountains? He seems more suited to short explosive efforts like the Monte Lupone climb in Tirreno-Adriatico that he's won 2 years on the trot.

Has he ever won a mountain finish in a GT? He's finished top 10 in the Vuelta twice but I guess he was probably riding for Valverde anyway on both occasions so maybe his hands were tied to an extent.