hows your calendar shaping up

coxy84
coxy84 Posts: 45
interested to see how peoples 2010 plans are looking, im looking to get stuck in this year only started cycling last spring did jogle in the summer and am excited about the forth coming year.

sportive in chilterns in march, weekend cycling in black mountains in april, sportive in cotswolds in june and london triathlon in august, so far :shock: :D

Comments

• kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    My plan is Etape Caledonia (81 miles) in May, Trossachs Ton (100 miles) in June and Ken Ladilaw Sportive (100 hilly miles) in August. Each one gets harder but hopefully so should my fitness!
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • coxy84
    very nice :D

just entered into the metric monthly challenge on here as well busy year :shock:
  • T.C.
    T.C. Posts: 495
    I've entered tour of Pembroke, planning on tour of black mountains aswell, will attempt century challenge again, not panicking because of weather it will improve roll on !
  • holmeboy
    holmeboy Posts: 674
    Sent off for Fred Whitton which I plan to try on double 53/39 and 11/25 sprocket if I get a place. That's the only Sportive definite just now (might target an Englandshire one as well) .Probally do the East Lothain and Moffet Toffee Audax's as well. Also want to cycle in Fife as well this year And maybe the route through Northumberland with buddies. :D
  • Fifer
    Fifer Posts: 60
    kfinlay wrote:
    My plan is Etape Caledonia (81 miles) in May, Trossachs Ton (100 miles) in June and Ken Ladilaw Sportive (100 hilly miles) in August. Each one gets harder but hopefully so should my fitness!

that's the exact same as I have entered this year also. I am also looking at the Ullapool sportive and the Northern Rock in Newcastle.
    Winter Bike: Specialized Allez Elite
    Summer Bike: Specialized Tarmac Pro SL
  • kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    Fifer wrote:
    kfinlay wrote:
    My plan is Etape Caledonia (81 miles) in May, Trossachs Ton (100 miles) in June and Ken Laidlaw Sportive (100 hilly miles) in August. Each one gets harder but hopefully so should my fitness!

that's the exact same as I have entered this year also. I am also looking at the Ullapool sportive and the Northern Rock in Newcastle.

Hey fellow Fifer I'm from Kirkcaldy originally :D

I've just got back to cycling in the last 5 months or so, 3 will be enough for me to commit to just now but really just depends on training. Roads up my way are not great so can't get out on bike and they don't seem any better at the coast as my dad lives in Kinghorn. Plenty time to train for the Etape Caledonia though. 2011 will prob look at going south for other events, possibly the Fred Whitton. How about you?
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • Fat Head
    Fat Head Posts: 765
    holmeboy wrote:
    Sent off for Fred Whitton which I plan to try on double 53/39 and 11/25 sprocket if I get a place.

I don't know what standard you are but for 99.9% of cyclists in the UK that would be madness.
  • Fifer
    kfinlay wrote:
    Fifer wrote:
    kfinlay wrote:
    My plan is Etape Caledonia (81 miles) in May, Trossachs Ton (100 miles) in June and Ken Laidlaw Sportive (100 hilly miles) in August. Each one gets harder but hopefully so should my fitness!

I've just got back to cycling in the last 5 months or so, 3 will be enough for me to commit to just now but really just depends on training. Roads up my way are not great so can't get out on bike and they don't seem any better at the coast as my dad lives in Kinghorn. Plenty time to train for the Etape Caledonia though. 2011 will prob look at going south for other events, possibly the Fred Whitton. How about you?

Much the same as you. Only got into biking last year after a long time away. However my season was curtailed when I tore my knee ligaments in the summer so I have only just started back cycling again. I work on the rigs so my planing of which rides I do revolve around my rota. I'm up too most challenges however the Fred Whitton looks to much fo me this year, maybe next. Might see you on the bike if you stay in cardenden :)
  • Fifer
    kfinlay wrote:
    Fifer wrote:
    kfinlay wrote:

Much the same as you. Only got into biking last year after a long time away. However my season was curtailed when I tore my knee ligaments in the summer so I have only just started back cycling again. I work on the rigs so my planing of which rides I do revolve around my rota. I'm up too most challenges however the Fred Whitton looks to much fo me this year, maybe next. Might see you on the bike if you stay in cardenden :)
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    I am a complete newbie to sportives this year, having only started turning the pedals in October after years off the bike, and with an almost zero fitness level!

I plan to build up to some longer events if all goes well and have considered / entered the following:

April - Rutland Cicle Classic Sportive - 50 odd miles
    May - Squires and Spires Sportive - 50 or 80 miles in Northants area
    June - Circuit of the Cotswolds - 70 or 100 miles
    September - Shakespeare 100 (100 miles, obviously!)

These are all pretty close to me or friends. If it goes well I'd love to have a crack at some of the bigger sportive challenges or even the big european events next year. So far only up to 30 miles on the bike, so first things first!!
  • coxy84
    yeah plan to do circuit cotswold as well may see you there :D
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    Question for me, is which distance?!

I went for a training ride with my brother around Cheltenham and found the climbs tough, there is nothing much in my area to replicate that!
  • I've got booked:
    21st March: Burgess Hill Springtime thing (71 miles - aiming for gold)
    23rd May: Pearson 150 years (150km - plus 4 mile ride to the start)
    6th June: Dragon ride (190km - ERK!)

Thinking about the Cycling Plus one in July.

I was thinking about trying for one a month. Any suggestions welcome - either epic or in/around Surrey would be good.

I did the Bike Blenheim 100 miler last year (first 100 mile sportive). Wasn't too impressed by the organisation, but (since it's near my parents) I might do it again.
  • Angus444
    Angus444 Posts: 141
    kfinlay wrote:
    Fifer wrote:
    kfinlay wrote:

Are you guys planning on doing the Fife Century 63 mile run on Feb 14th? Was thinking about entering, as it's just a short jaunt down from Angus.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Fat Head wrote:
    holmeboy wrote:
    Sent off for Fred Whitton which I plan to try on double 53/39 and 11/25 sprocket if I get a place.

I don't know what standard you are but for 99.9% of cyclists in the UK that would be madness.

Fathead me George and Neil have entered(fingers crossed we get in) the Fred - are you trying to get in too? Unlike Holmeboy I will be on my triple and thats the only way I am getting up hardknott at 100miles or any other time. This will be our fourth time - total madness!

Holmeboy - good luck with your entry. Thanks for the tips regarding the roads around Dunbar last year - noticed in summer that the Brunt has been resurfaced and now nice and smooth. Is Crystal Rigg and Elmscleugh farm still bad surfaced?

I think I will do the Cumbrian Killer and the 5 Dales in May also - no further plans but fancy doing the Ullapool this year and a few other Scottish ones for a change.
    Brian B.
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    So far I have the following booked.

Hampshire Hilly 100 - May
    Wales Dragon - June
    Alp Duez Trip - June
    Southern Sportive - Sept

Going for the longer distances in all and trying to get golds.
  • LorneC
    LorneC Posts: 149
    kfinlay wrote:

Much the same as me, although also doing the Cross-Border 100 (Action Medical Research - 19 September)

Noticed also that Pedal for Scotland are looking at a 100 mile sportive route the week before the Cross Border - so might really challenge myself in September :-)
    Already signed up for the following 2010 rides:

Etape Caledonia (May 16th)
    AMR's Trossachs Ton (June 20th)
    AMR's Cross-Border Sportive (Sept 19th)

http://www.twitter.com/LorneCallaghan
  • holmeboy
    holmeboy Posts: 674
    Brian B wrote:

Holmeboy - good luck with your entry. Thanks for the tips regarding the roads around Dunbar last year - noticed in summer that the Brunt has been resurfaced and now nice and smooth. Is Crystal Rigg and Elmscleugh farm still bad surfaced?

Yeah the Brunt is good now but the road through Elmscleugh is still pretty bad, covered in rubble, and the road into the Lammermuirs is potholed in several area's especially near the cattle grids and a lot more of them thar eyesore windmills..
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    The .Etape du Dales in May, The Dragon Ride and probably the National Sportive (formerly the Pendle Pedal) in June.
    I haven't decided beyond that yet. I'm intending to have a go at the Cingles de Mont Ventoux at the end of July/early August. I will probably try to get an end of August and a September event in as well, but haven't decided which ones to do yet.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Nickwill wrote:
    The .Etape du Dales in May, The Dragon Ride and probably the National Sportive (formerly the Pendle Pedal) in June.
    I haven't decided beyond that yet. I'm intending to have a go at the Cingles de Mont Ventoux at the end of July/early August. I will probably try to get an end of August and a September event in as well, but haven't decided which ones to do yet.

Good luck with the Cingles Nick. I was over at the Ventoux in July last year again and its still one of my favourite climbs and hardest. I'll think I will give the Radar Ride a miss this year - it was a bit chilly up there last year in June - you wont get that in Provence hopefully.

Hope to see you on the road
    Brian B.
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    March - Cheshire Cat - maybe
    April - Lakeland loop
    May - Etape du Dales
    June - Beaumes de Venise
    July - Etape
    August - thinking about cycling from Manchester to Edinburgh to visit the in-laws (anyone done this? - I plotted a route last night which was on a lot of A roads (A6/A7) - not sure how busy they get)
    September - Manchester 100
  • coxy84
    ajb72 im going for the 100 miles im hoping by june i ll be fighting fit for that and my aim for this year was to get some good miles in my legs :)
  • I've got booked:
    21st March: Burgess Hill Springtime thing (71 miles - aiming for gold)
    23rd May: Pearson 150 years (150km - plus 4 mile ride to the start)
    6th June: Dragon ride (190km - ERK!)

Thinking about the Cycling Plus one in July.

I was thinking about trying for one a month. Any suggestions welcome - either epic or in/around Surrey would be good.

I did the Bike Blenheim 100 miler last year (first 100 mile sportive). Wasn't too impressed by the organisation, but (since it's near my parents) I might do it again.

Have you thought about doing the Castle 100?
  • Fat Head
    Fat Head Posts: 765
    Brian B wrote:
    Fat Head wrote:
    holmeboy wrote:

Brian, printed off the form and had every intention of sending it off but realised our club is holding an open 10TT the following weekend which I plan to ride.....Pretty gutted. Really hope you all get in, give me a shout if you are heading down there earlier in the year for a wee legburner, I'll come along if able to
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    Provisional list, but a determined effort to complete them all will be made:
      Febuary: Tour of East Lothian 100km

March: Dave Harris Memorial 200km
      The Canny Man's 200km

April: Pitlochry 150km
      Glen Isla 100km

May: Deeside Loop 200km

June: A Fyne Cowal 200lm

August: Pitlochry 200
      Lethnot and Lunan 100km
      or
      Forres Foray 200km
      Garten Treasure Hunt 82 km

September: Aaron Aardvark's Thursday Skive 200km
      Three Glens Explorer 160km

The 2 in March are more hopefuls than possibles, but I'll want to see how the training goes.

One I'd really like to do is The Snow Roads 300km with 4800m of climbing, but I'll maybe have to leave that 'til 2011. Might change my mind after the hilly Deeside Loop
      A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
    • nickwill
      nickwill Posts: 2,735
      Brian B wrote:
      Nickwill wrote:

Good luck with the Cingles Nick. I was over at the Ventoux in July last year again and its still one of my favourite climbs and hardest. I'll think I will give the Radar Ride a miss this year - it was a bit chilly up there last year in June - you wont get that in Provence hopefully.

Hope to see you on the road

I'm ready for a change there as well. I've done the Cumberland Challenge since it started as well, but last year's soaking was enough to make me want to try something different.
    • sagalout
      sagalout Posts: 338
      April - Lakeland loop
      May - Etap Du Dales

Thats it for confirmed booking so far, but planning on a some more depending on holidays etc, Also going to try TT's this year
    • NWLondoner
      NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
      March- Surrey Rumble (Possibility)
      May- Pearson 150 (or 75) Hopefully
      June - Chiltern 100 Gran Fondo :shock:

May also do the Ride to the Horns if the date fits in with my work schedule.
    • flix23
      flix23 Posts: 72
      I've got booked

February: Kentish Killer
      May: Etape du Dales
      June: Dragon Ride
      July: Etape

Will probably add a few more shorter sportives in for March and April, plus the SDW Randonee in June.

All this marks a major escalation in miles/seriousness for me, hope it all pans out :?
    • Seanos
      Seanos Posts: 301
      edited January 2010
      Jan - Hell of the Ashdown
      Feb - Kentish Killer
      Mar - Spring Onion Sportive
      Apr - Downland Spring Sportive 100 miles
      May - Tour De Weald 125 miles
      May - Castle Ride 100 miles
      Jun - Paris Roubaix
      Jul - A holiday!