La Marmotte - Medical Certificate question

beLIEver
beLIEver Posts: 8
Can anyone advise the cheapest way of obtaining this? How do I describe to my GP what needs to be tested etc?

I saw the link on the cyclosport website - http://www.cyclosport.org/article.aspx?id=974 - but I suspected this may be a rip-off.

Finally, bit of a long shot, but I have a current Civil Aviation Authority medical certificate (details of the tests carried out here - http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid ... pageid=528) following an examination about 9 months ago. Does anyone know if this would suffice?

Many thanks,

Cam

Comments

• beLIEver wrote:
    Can anyone advise the cheapest way of obtaining this? How do I describe to my GP what needs to be tested etc?

I saw the link on the cyclosport website - http://www.cyclosport.org/article.aspx?id=974 - but I suspected this may be a rip-off.

Finally, bit of a long shot, but I have a current Civil Aviation Authority medical certificate (details of the tests carried out here - http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid ... pageid=528) following an examination about 9 months ago. Does anyone know if this would suffice?

Many thanks,

Cam

there is a form that needs to be stamped by your GP. Most GPs, although they are allowed to charge, they will do it for free.
    Ask your GP, if he charges you over the odds to stamp a form, you can always forge signature and stamp and as long as the GP name you put down is not real you don't damage anyone...

Try with Dr. Who
    left the forum March 2023
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    I had a 10 minute check up with my GP. Just the usual blood pressure, a quick check of the heart rate, etc. The form is just to confirm you are in good general health I think. I had to pay £12 for the privelege which I guess is reasonable as it was my choice to do the event. You could scan and email them a copy of the certificate you have and see if they accept that before doing anything else.
  • Thanks both,

Do they send you the form through the post when you register?
  • It would be very easy to forge a medical certificate but in the unlikely event of something going wrong your insurance company would have no problem in not paying out on what could be a very expensive bill for treatment abroad with or without repatriation costs, if something went horribly wrong life insurance etc would not pay out, is it worth it for the sake of a docs bill of maybe no mre than £75? (when i went t get a certificate stamped they did it for free)
  • APIII
    beLIEver wrote:
    Thanks both,

Do they send you the form through the post when you register?

No you download it from their site, which can be tricky to navigate I'll agree.
  • Thanks everyone. (Bob I was asking about the cheapest legitimate way of going about it!)

For reference, the form is at http://www.la-marmotte.info/GT/certificatgb.pdf

Cam
  • morrisje
    morrisje Posts: 507
    I had to get one filled in for the Vaujany last year. There were a group of us and we all went along to our doctors with various results. I booked a 'well-man' session and when the nurse said I was fine I asked for the medical form to be signed - no cost. Other were charged £80 by their doctors. When we went to the ride start the night before they just took them and put them in a box. I could have signed it as Micky Mouse and no one would have cared.
  • beiever, I was responding to santa lucia's suggestion of forging a certificate as to advise people not to be tempted!!.

cheers Bob
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    We have a company doctor, and he happily signed the form without any checks, just asked if I'd trained or took performance enhancing drugs! No one asked to see the form when I registered and collected my number.
  • APIII
    I think it's a lottery, as I got asked for mine, although lots of others didn't. However, I wouldn't want to go all that way and get caught out...
  • bobhitch wrote:
    beiever, I was responding to santa lucia's suggestion of forging a certificate as to advise people not to be tempted!!.

cheers Bob

It goes without saying that a forged certificate will rule you out of any insurance compensation in case of something going wrong.
    Only someone irresponsible and with no family like me would do it to save a few quid... :lol:
    left the forum March 2023
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    If you have a racing license you do not need a certificate.
    If you have no race license make your owen certificate and sign it as long as you have a pc and printer :D
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    They are very relaxed about this. It seems to be a rule in France that you need a medical check before you take part in most forms of competitive sport but when it comes to the Marmotte, a quick piece of paper is ok.

You shouldn't have to even pay the GP if you get the wording right. Get them to say that "based on the patients medical record, I see no reason why they cannot take part in a cycling ride" and this is fine, no need for blood pressure checks or ECGs*. The organisers just want to see something half-official looking.

*Of course, maybe you might be close to death and an actual medical check will prevent any worries, this is the aim of the test after all. Think about it.
  • APIII
    If you have no race license make your owen certificate and sign it as long as you have a pc and printer :D

I *think* that some of the french organisers have cottoned on to the fact you don't need a medical to get a UK licence and are now insisting on a medical certificate regardless. Not sure if the Marmotte is one of those.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    morrisje wrote:
    I had to get one filled in for the Vaujany last year. There were a group of us and we all went along to our doctors with various results. I booked a 'well-man' session and when the nurse said I was fine I asked for the medical form to be signed - no cost. Other were charged £80 by their doctors. When we went to the ride start the night before they just took them and put them in a box. I could have signed it as Micky Mouse and no one would have cared.

when I entered this last year they never even took the cert off me!

As others have said depends on the GP you get and how often they see you.

All they really want to know is that you won't die out on the course
  • oldwelshman
    APIII wrote:

I *think* that some of the french organisers have cottoned on to the fact you don't need a medical to get a UK licence and are now insisting on a medical certificate regardless. Not sure if the Marmotte is one of those.

No you just provide license number when you fill in application, thats what I did.
  • I've just applied for a racing license, but I guess it it won't arrive for a couple of weeks. Will the license number be the same as my BC membership number?
  • SparkyP
    SparkyP Posts: 259
    Just dropped the form at my GP. It shall cost £11.00 to get it signed and stamped.

Mark
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    my GP did it for free
  • oldwelshman
    GeorgeShaw wrote:
    I've just applied for a racing license, but I guess it it won't arrive for a couple of weeks. Will the license number be the same as my BC membership number?

Yes
  • GeorgeShaw wrote:
    I've just applied for a racing license, but I guess it it won't arrive for a couple of weeks. Will the license number be the same as my BC membership number?

Yes

Thanks but, as I've just realised, you don't need to include the number when you register, just send a photocopy of the license to them later, which I can do when I receive the license anyway. So I'm in.

What have I done? :shock: :shock: :shock: