New bike...best way to spend £125 on accessories?

lastant
lastant Posts: 526
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
Right, already posted this on the Road 'Buying Advice' forum but thought people here might offer different advice - apologies for the double post though.

Have decided to finally take the plunge and invest in a road bike, with my current Marin having done a good twelve years. It's going to be used for my commute in and around London, covering around 100ish miles every working week and more over the weekends if I do decide to go on longer rides - looking at touring a bit with it later on this year too, so have more or less settled on the Specialized Secteur Elite having read through seemingly endless threads!

Anyway...Evans are currently offering £125 worth of accessories for free when you purchase any bike over £500 and I was wondering what'd be the best way to utilise this offer. Got myself a decent multi-tool, bib shorts, bib tights, jacket and helmet but other than that there's nothing I want to move over from the current bike bar the Cateye Wireless.

So I'll definitely need lights of some sort but don't want to get them from there if they're better discounted somewhere else and I can get more for my money at Evans (pedals for example always seem to come up in discussions as a cracking price at CRC).

Any ideas? Thanks.
One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)

Comments

• Lock(s).
    bike computer
    Mudguards.
    Waterproof sox
    overshoes
  • Does a workstand count as an accessory? If it does, I'd get that unless you have one already.
  • Consumables? Spare tubes come in handy. If you put the miles on, you'll need new tyres at some point. Lube? Brake pads? Stuff with which to clean your new beauty?

A rack and panniers? (Joke. :lol: )

How about those Crud Catcher mudguards for road bikes - makes it easier to keep riding through the bad weather?

(Agree with you about pedals at CRC. I don't even need new pedals but I'm tempted to buy some Crank Brothers ones as they are such a good price in their sale. I only actually logged on to Bike Radar to see if there were any negative opinions on using Crank Brothers pedals on a road bike.)
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • Personally, I'd go for some decent shoes. Perhaps two pairs.
  • soy_sauce
    soy_sauce Posts: 987
    winter tyres, track pump, spare tubes, skull cap, buff
    "It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    You can never have too many pairs of shorts or jerseys
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • +1 high end bib shorts, imagine the satisfaction, superduper bib shorts for free, (well sort of) :?
    I ache, therefore I am.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    +1 high end bib shorts, imagine the satisfaction, superduper bib shorts for free, (well sort of) :?

agreed buy something more expenisve than you normally would that you'll really appreciate
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14